Home

Pitch Com/Robotic Umpires

This is a discussion on Pitch Com/Robotic Umpires within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pitch Com/Robotic Umpires

With the use now of Pitch Com in MLB and the talks of robotic umpires (Already being used in Triple A) when do y’all think this will translate in MLB THE SHOW? Do you think it’s good for the game or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Pitch Com/Robotic Umpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstodian
With the use now of Pitch Com in MLB and the talks of robotic umpires (Already being used in Triple A) when do y’all think this will translate in MLB THE SHOW? Do you think it’s good for the game or not?

There's already an option to have a "perfect" strike zone in the game (it's always active in head-to head play). I wouldn't think it would change the video game at all in that regard.

The game's perfect strike zone might be a little different from the real rulebook one in that over half of the ball needs to be in the zone for it to count as a strike, as opposed to anything that even clips a part of the zone being a strike in real life.

As far as PitchCom goes, well.....API exists. I'd never want that to be a forced option though, because some of us do like calling our own games.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-22-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstodian

I think offense will be better imo. Batters sometimes feel forced to swing at borderline pitches in fear of striking out looking. Pitchers will have to be on point with location.

Tbh I want this but at the same time I don’t lol
Old 05-22-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm probably one of the few if any show players that sets all umpire calls (pitching and plays at bases) on "perfect".

Sent from my thoughts
Old 05-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I love the unpredictability of having umpire personalities. It's realistic, so I like it. Not saying people are wrong for not liking it. I don't care how anyone else plays the game. But for me I like it.

Also, I've found that if you listen to the announcers talk about the home plate umpire, they will tell you where they like to call pitches. And it actually translates to the game. This is awesome because every MLB pitcher knows who is behind the plate when they are pitching, and they know what that umpire's tendencies are.

I don't ever wanna see robot umps. I think it will mess with the balance of hitting and pitching too much. But that's just one old baseball traditionalists opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2022, 06:31 PM   #6
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Here’s how they’re planning to set it up. Measurements may change a bit once implemented but don’t think it will be a big deal for SDS to calculate it accordingly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A319F84B-6BDA-4B66-ACE5-396DFEA858B2.jpeg (115.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-22-2022, 06:56 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

in terms of how robut umps in the Show would differ from their human counterpart, the Studio won't have to be sensitive like how they have to portray human umps i.e. no animations of mgrs. kicking dirt on them. rather instead, mgrs. can give robut umps a Gatorade bath, really fry those circuits lol

also, I want Sony to acquire right to Bender from Futurama as one of the more colorful umps

(FWIW I know robut umps aren't something you'll visually see lol)

A Work in Progress
Old 05-22-2022, 10:43 PM   #8
Rookie

This year was my first time going from personalized to perfect strike zones. There were way more calls going against me than usual it seemed. Also, although personalized zones may be more realistic, it just doesn't translate well in a video game in my opinion. It often feels cheap even if the call does go in my favor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »