Home

Anyone know how Sony comes up with their ratings? 3 yr weighted average?

This is a discussion on Anyone know how Sony comes up with their ratings? 3 yr weighted average? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Football Simulator Hands-On Preview
World of Chel Tips and Tricks: How to Be a Good Teammate
Sunday Rivals Review - Great Mix of Sim and Arcade

Old 05-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #1
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15
Anyone know how Sony comes up with their ratings? 3 yr weighted average?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on how San Diego studios does their ratings. 2021-50% 2020-25% and so on. Just curious because i used to have my own charts that i created. For example Brandon Woodruff’s h/9 i think is 77 but his average against was top 5 last year. Should be in the 90s rating wise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #2
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Anyone know how Sony comes up with their ratings? 3 yr weighted average?

I've read it's just a straight 3 year rolling average and not weighted, but that could be wrong. Not sure what metrics they use though. I've seen batting average and ISO for contact and power. But there's some weird variance in batting average if that's the case, and it's a much tougher scale vRHP than vLHP. So, not sure.

Speed for most players is just based on the previous season's sprint speed. But there are a handful that get extra speed - Mookie Betts, for example, has 62 speed but should be more like 52. But there are only a couple players I've seen whose speed ratin deviates more than 1 point from others with the same sprint speed. I would bet that Reaction for outfielders is based on Statcast OF Jump and the other aspects of fielding are probably OAA. They may also have access to more than the publicly available statcast data through MLB, especially for fielding.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #3
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15

Thanks for the reply
Old 05-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #4
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

I think the ratings should account for multiple seasons.

Conversely though, how do you rate a guy like Ty France, who has limited experience thanks to teh Covid years, but is absolutely shredding it this year?

I don't think they can win this one, regardless of the road they chose.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think the ratings should account for multiple seasons.

Conversely though, how do you rate a guy like Ty France, who has limited experience thanks to teh Covid years, but is absolutely shredding it this year?

I don't think they can win this one, regardless of the road they chose.
Ty France is rated pretty highly. He's got 94 contact v R for his .297 avg the last 3 years vs righties, .343 this year. Only 58 power, but he only has a .139 ISO the last 3 and .142 this year. He shouldn't really have a ton of power He's 75/75 vs lefties with a .290/.295 avg and .198/.205 ISO. I could see his Contact v L coming up to 80 ish, but his hitting attributes seem pretty fair to me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Ty France is rated pretty highly. He's got 94 contact v R for his .297 avg the last 3 years vs righties, .343 this year. Only 58 power, but he only has a .139 ISO the last 3 and .142 this year. He shouldn't really have a ton of power He's 75/75 vs lefties with a .290/.295 avg and .198/.205 ISO. I could see his Contact v L coming up to 80 ish, but his hitting attributes seem pretty fair to me.
I think Ty is rated fairly and accurately. Just speaking to the the highwire act SDS has to perform.

A 3-year scale is the most accurate way to build a roster, IMO. There isn't 3 solid years of data for a guy like France. And I don't think it will happen, but what if Ty totally goes in the tank? How many franchises would have him as a contender for the AL batting crown?!

These guys can constantly be second guessed no matter what they choose to do.

.. at least the end user can do as they choose. That is the really all we can ask for.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:49 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think Ty is rated fairly and accurately. Just speaking to the the highwire act SDS has to perform.

A 3-year scale is the most accurate way to build a roster, IMO. There isn't 3 solid years of data for a guy like France. And I don't think it will happen, but what if Ty totally goes in the tank? How many franchises would have him as a contender for the AL batting crown?!

These guys can constantly be second guessed no matter what they choose to do.

.. at least the end user can do as they choose. That is the really all we can ask for.
Agreed it gets tricky, and this is another opportunity for me to beat the drum of editing players so that their ratings make sense TO YOU.

I have Eric Haase, dude has 99 PWR OOTB against lefties because of what he did last year. It’s ridiculous at times. How about 75 PWR? Or 85? 99!? I have his power against righties at 64 and 75 against lefties.

Miggy, similar: OOTB he had very pedestrian batter ratings, then with the roster update I downloaded suddenly he had upper-80s contact again like it’s still 2016. I have him with 74 contact against lefties and 66 contact against righties.

Etc., with the point being the ratings have to make sense to YOU first and foremost. The only shame in editing players’ ratings would be if you went around turning crappy guys into awesome ones. If you’re just editing so that stuff makes sense there has never been any shame in that. It’s all gotta make sense to the user.

Last edited by Detroit Tigers; 05-27-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
Rookie

Why is mookie so slow? I will never understand that

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »