Home

After 2 full seasons, SDS/'22 delivers a hit behind in the count

This is a discussion on After 2 full seasons, SDS/'22 delivers a hit behind in the count within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
After 2 full seasons, SDS/'22 delivers a hit behind in the count

Having played thru 2 full seasons, and then some, I thought I would keep the tradition alive and post my thoughts on MLB '22.

MLB '22 is a good game that doesn't have the best showing at the plate, but in the end delivers another hit. '22 already had things going against it before the first virtual pitch was thrown, the biggest being Y2Y/Carryover saves once again being omitted. That meant that I had to give up my franchise in '21 and start over again, which for anyone that knows me, is something that I have grown to absolutely despise since the introduction of Y2Y saves. But having tried the BETA, I decided I would make the difficult decision to start anew and hope that Y2Y saves return for '23.

On the field, '22 is as solid as its ever been. The ability to make perfect throws to any base when fielding, the changes to how both infielders and outfielders dive for the ball, and their success in doing so, the subtle, but effective changes to hitting and pitching, all make '22 a solid playing game on the field. Its something that nowadays I simply take for granted.

The biggest change is the commentary and presentation. While the presentation is new, there are some glaring shortcomings after having had the same play by play, and commentary team for the past few years. And as someone who actually prefers Matty V's team over Boog and Singleton, the commentary while fresh isn't as an exciting addition for me as it may be for others.

Presentation on the other hand is absolutely phenomenal. The camera cuts, the new displays in between innings, the Opening Day, All-Star and postseason presentation elements are all extremely well done. Presentation was in need of a quality of life update, and it most definitely got it. But while presentation as a whole is better, there are a few things that bug me. Such as the not showing the final pitching line of a starter, the not showing the defense for both teams, not showing the weather at the start of the game, and the removal of the MLB Network theme. While this all may be small omissions to some, for me who plays every pitch of every game, these small details go a long way and are sorely missed when absent.

Franchise mode is by far my favorite mode in the game and where I spend most of my time. There are some subtle, but instrumental changes; budget only accounting for 40 man roster as in real life and the ticker now including news stories from the league and showing top farm systems, playoff predictions, milestones achieved, rookie debut, etc...there's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that franchise mode in growing extremely long in the tooth and the removal of Y2Y saves only exacerbates that sentiment. Add to that some questionable AI free agent signings (I play with traditional DH rules), and its caused me to continually bounce back and forth, and worse yet continually debate bouncing back and forth between '21 and '22. And having been several years into '21, playing thru the '22 franchise has a "been there done that" feel to it. Not really a fault of the game on its own, but an issue brought about again by the removal of Y2Y saves.

Overall, after this much time playing, '22 is a good game. Its not great and its not terrible. Its good. And its good because at the end of the day, it replicates on the field play really really well. But some of the things off the field, really give me the feeling that the game is "incomplete". Again, I understand the complete change over of commentary team and introduction of a new presentation package is going to lead to some things being left out as they build upon the new, but the omissions stand out.

'22 is similar to '17 for me, but not in the same way. With '17, I didn't like the new gameplay changes out of the box, so going back to '16 without hesitation was easy. With '22, I like the gameplay over '21, but the game as a whole isn't as good as '21 in my opinion and its created this frustrating internal battle of which game I would rather play, '22 and "replay" the same/similar scenarios I've already done because the gameplay is better, or '21 and continue a franchise that I was heavily invested in prior to stopping, and play a game that while on the field may be missing a few things, delivers a more enjoyable experience overall.

If only Y2Y saves had returned......

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 07-07-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: After 2 full seasons, SDS/'22 delivers a hit behind in the count

Great write up. Change it to '20 and '22 and its pretty much how i feel as well. You just said it better.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Well said.

Commentary is beyond awful

Gameplay between the lines makes this the best sports title of all-time, IMO. The beefed up defense really sets it apart from past versions.

Think its worth noting that the glitchy animations are gone for the most part.

But I'm not going forward with the series without carryover saves or a PC release. As a retro only guy, its too much work to build rosters as it is, let alone doing it over and over and over again.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 07-08-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Announcing might be why I never go beyond 21 lol. I’m a big Matty V guy. For me Matty V is the Show!
Old 07-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I enjoyed Show 20, 21 & now 22, I'll even purchase 23 release day no doubt about it. but I still didn't enjoy the last 3 years nearly as much as I did from Show 10 to 19. I had hoped with the Show's return to a handheld (via the Switch), that alone would get me over the hump back to where my level of enjoyment was pre-covid. it did not.

I have personally changed the last 3 years, for better or worse, as much as the Show has changed the last 3 years, for worse or for worse. so while I know I'm already locked in for 23, that could be the beginning of a cooling down period for me and the Show, as I'm already super-hyped for the return of EA College Football and come next July, I plan on being knee deep in football video gaming.

the only way that inevitability can change is for the Show to philosophically change. and I don't see that happening anytime soon. so if Sony is thinking there are no better alternatives competition-wise being the lone baseball video game, that's an incorrect assumption. there are a lot of us Show guys that just need a great sports video game experience, and even those of us who are baseball #1 as a sport, can be easily left behind, and catch another thrilling ride elsewhere. heck, the last 3 years, nba2k has scratched an itch I've felt that the Show simply has decided isn't worth their time to scratch for me. and basketball is barely even in my top 5 favorite sports.

for now, the ball is in the Show's court, but that window is closing quicker every day, as it won't be long until there's a new kid in town

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2022, 11:51 PM   #6
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

For how I play, The Show gets it done. I play only one season and it’s a wrap. Could never go back to ‘21, could easily play 20 (great in my opinion).

Presentation…top notch.
On the field….amazing.
Scanned faces….love ‘em. Don’t even have a problem with the player models.
Options…..galore.
Stadium creator….if you know what you’re doing and have some imagination it’s cool.
Commentary….so glad to hear some….silence. This last patch showed some improvement, so…..looking forward.
Patches….it’s great we even get them.
Rebranding…..yep.

Playing on a Samsung QLED 65”….perfect.

For a one and done guy couldn’t be happier.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:22 AM   #7
Rookie

Yeah ‘22 is a fantastic baseball game. It has the best gameplay of all time, when it comes to sports titles no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »