Home

The games animation is weak in my opinion

This is a discussion on The games animation is weak in my opinion within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The games animation is weak in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesRunIt
I get your point, but THQ has far too much experience to let this slide and excuse it. And to Rebut, Fight Night 4 is made by an entirely different team with no boxing games under its belt and yet the animations seem buttery.

Also Round 3 had its flaws but robotic punches ( unless you were screwing with the TCP) were not one of them.
Totally different situations. 1) The FN4 team was different but they had a base to work from. They werent creating a game from the ground up. There is no base for UFC Undisputed. This is a totally different game. THQ isnt one team just like EA isnt. There are several teams at THQ and none of them had experience creating an MMA game. 3) Even if you take away the fact that FN4 had a base to work from, its easier to create a boxing game than an MMA game. With FN4, no time is needed for a ground or submission portion of the game. Its all striking so of course thats going to look better.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Totally different situations. 1) The FN4 team was different but they had a base to work from. They werent creating a game from the ground up. There is no base for UFC Undisputed. This is a totally different game. THQ isnt one team just like EA isnt. There are several teams at THQ and none of them had experience creating an MMA game. 3) Even if you take away the fact that FN4 had a base to work from, its easier to create a boxing game than an MMA game. With FN4, no time is needed for a ground or submission portion of the game. Its all striking so of course thats going to look better.
1) You are wrong, there was no 'base' for Round 4

"Since this is a new team in Vancouver after the Chicago office was closed. Did you start from scratch on the game engine?
Yea, it’s a brand new game engine."

http://www.dasgamer.com/fight-night-...s-on-new-game/

2) Your excuses are pointless, If EA can create a real-time physics engine that allows for grazing punches and interlocking limbs in conjunction with smooth punches and movement from scratch; then THQ can smoothly create strikes for their game.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

"Since this is a new team in Vancouver after the Chicago office was closed. Did you start from scratch on the game engine?

2) Your excuses are pointless, If EA can create a real-time physics engine that allows for grazing punches and interlocking limbs in conjunction with smooth punches and movement from scratch; then THQ can smoothly create strikes for their game.

If you believe that the game was created entirely from scratch....i have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. There is no way EA scrapped every animation from FN3 to create FN4 but whatever. Also, people have seen exactly 1 minute of FN4 footage (the trailer) so I dont know how you can describe that as buttery. ****, the majority of people that saw the trailer here thought the animations were stiff (I wasnt one of them).

I dont work, have stock in or care enough about THQ to make excuses for them. Fact is fact. There are more things to focus on in a MMA game than a Boxing game. If you dont believe that...who cares. Doesnt effect my enjoyment of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

the strikes are extremely smooth - the only thing is the reaction that's a bit stiff, as well as ring foot movement especially while in 'hurry' mode. The stiff jabs and 1,2 combo's look superior to fnr3 imo. Another thing you don't seem to understand is the depth of this game - it's not just striking, but grappling on the ground and standing and takedowns etc. The striking actually has 3 or 4 'dimentions' too. you have distance or probing strikes, 'pocket' strikes, and clinch range strikes, as well as in-clinch strikes and ground and pound. Besides punching there are elbows, knees, kicks....I'm not sure where your expectations are comming from. I've played every mma/kickboxing/boxing game and don't understand your position on this. The animations are not 100% lifelike, but that shouldn't come as a suprise or cause dissapointment imo.

the animations are very nice - example the new vids:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/8...me_033109.html

and one more excuse to post the canadian cover!

I honestly don't see this game as the 'underdog'. I believe this game will be recieved extremely well all across the board and set the new standard for fighting games, even sports games. I don't think any of the games mentioned by the OP have better animation overall either.

edite *another thing i forgot to mention. Some of the punching looks stupid to me, but not because of hte animation, but because someone is standing still getting hit with 5 same-arm punches in a row - that would look strange in real-life. When you see someone block, go for a leg kick and get hit with a quick 1,2, it looks great.

Last edited by allBthere; 03-31-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
If you believe that the game was created entirely from scratch....i have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. There is no way EA scrapped every animation from FN3 to create FN4 but whatever. Also, people have seen exactly 1 minute of FN4 footage (the trailer) so I dont know how you can describe that as buttery. ****, the majority of people that saw the trailer here thought the animations were stiff (I wasnt one of them).

I dont work, have stock in or care enough about THQ to make excuses for them. Fact is fact. There are more things to focus on in a MMA game than a Boxing game. If you dont believe that...who cares. Doesnt effect my enjoyment of the game.

Im going off facts, yet u are coming to your own conclusions to counter their validity. Also i said 'seem' buttery, which leaves room for error, however you even say they dont look stiff while undisputed clearly has that problem.

And in addition, whatever the difficulty is to making this game, it's known that the animation is a huge part and it should be among the top priorities, not something to be excused.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
the strikes are extremely smooth - the only thing is the reaction that's a bit stiff, as well as ring foot movement especially while in 'hurry' mode. The stiff jabs and 1,2 combo's look superior to fnr3 imo. Another thing you don't seem to understand is the depth of this game - it's not just striking, but grappling on the ground and standing and takedowns etc. The striking actually has 3 or 4 'dimentions' too. you have distance or probing strikes, 'pocket' strikes, and clinch range strikes, as well as in-clinch strikes and ground and pound. Besides punching there are elbows, knees, kicks....I'm not sure where your expectations are comming from. I've played every mma/kickboxing/boxing game and don't understand your position on this. The animations are not 100% lifelike, but that shouldn't come as a suprise or cause dissapointment imo.

I understand there are different dimensions to the striking game and there are more elements to the fighting that have to be added, but neither of those effect the quality of the animations some of the non striking are hit or miss with some very nice ones among the 'hit'.

But 85% of the striking animations are not as smooth or natural as they could be when compared to other games IMO.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
Banned

MacPlex's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Already in the game. Watch the Hughes/Serra KO video on gamespot.
not what iwas talking about but close, Im talking about knocking him to the ground then pounding the opponent. Butthose gameplay vids def make me feel better about the animations they seemed smoother to me for some reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 AM   #16
Turn 10 Community Team

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPlex
not what iwas talking about but close, Im talking about knocking him to the ground then pounding the opponent. Butthose gameplay vids def make me feel better about the animations they seemed smoother to me for some reason.
Yea thats in the game, in one of the new ground videos theres a diving punch from standup to ground at about 1 minute in. It looks great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »