Home

Best way to start following MMA

This is a discussion on Best way to start following MMA within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #25
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Best way to start following MMA

Also, I might suggest watching old fights to find a favorite fighter. If you have a favorite, it makes it much more exciting.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #26
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Someone new to UFC

well lucky for you it isnt like boxing where theres 4 champions in each weight class and 50 million weight classes so its much easier to keep track of. Try and watch the shows on spike whenever you can, not just the Ultimate Fighter, but they show lots of old fights. Might also want to try you tube and youll start to see who the top guys are. Also, if you have HD Net on your tv you can watch Inside MMA with Bas Rutten.

Id also recommending using wikipedia just to check out each guy's record so you can get an idea over who has fought who, in what organization did they fight, and how long ago did they fight.

The commentators do a nice job when calling a fight at really explaining some of the moves and technique so that you can start to learn things quickly even if you have no prior knowledge in BJJ, muay thai, and some of the other aspects of MMA.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #27
Pro

imdahman's Arena

OVR: 6

Also realize that MMA as a sport is bigger than the UFC. Essentially The UFC is to MMA as the NBA is to Basketball - it's the biggest and most recognizable organization but there are more organizations out there with great fighters and they deserve some attention.

There are still great fighters who are over in Japan's Dream (Basically what rose out of the ashes of the defunct Pride FC), as well as the WEC and what-have-you.

Learn to appreciate the sport first, don't bottleneck yourself into a single organization because you'll miss out on some other great fights and fighters.

I'd also reocmmend training MMA! Great way to keep in shape and a way to get a deeper understanding of the sport as well as the nuances and technicality of it all

"The two most important days in your
life are the day you are born and the day
you find out why.”

- Mark Twain
Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #28
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I've always enjoyed MMA when I happened to watch it, but never followed it. An old friend of mine was real into it back in the mid-to-late 90s and until the explosion of the past few years, that was my only real exposure to it. I think we watched a few of the early PPVs courtesy of his de-scrambler box. He was a martial arts guy and always wanted to show me what he had learned in class. Not fun...

Anyways, I merged the two "new to MMA" threads.

Last edited by Qb; 05-05-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdahman

I'd also reocmmend training MMA! Great way to keep in shape and a way to get a deeper understanding of the sport as well as the nuances and technicality of it all
Funny you said that. My cousin has been training now for about 2 years I believe and he was talking to me yesterday about going to the place he goes. I told him I was out of shape and I wanted to do something and he told me he had a two week pass if I wanted to try it out.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
Banned

wilsfaber's Arena

OVR: 1

that's truth about the whole TUF thing. it's UFC's official outreach to the non-MMA public to produce a church of tattooed tapout-wearing followers worshipping matt hamill and Forrest Good idea for noobs to watch it, but be careful of drinking too much of that UFC kool-ade, or before you know it you're excited to pay $50 for a fight card halfway filled with TUF contestants that didn't even win thier season.

love HDnet and versus. next Dream and WEC will be hot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »