Home

UFC 98: Evans vs. Machida

This is a discussion on UFC 98: Evans vs. Machida within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #57
MVP

Parasight's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: UFC 98: Evans vs. Machida

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I'm indifferent to Shad, so I'll ask you this - why do some people adore him? I just don't understand why anyone before the Lidell fight would go "I really hate Lidell and want this cocky guy to beat his ***"

It's like some people love him just by virtue that others feel so strongly against him. There's not much to love or to hate about him imo, His biggest strength has been his unbelieveable rate of improvement since he's been in the UFC - everyone should give him credit for that, he has elevated his game dramatically at a constant rate.

Just like I don't get why some people hate rampage, I don't get why people L-O-V-E Rashad

If Ramp and Shad faught, like why cheer for Rashad?

Machida has a bunch of haters too, and he is someone else that I respect but feel indifferent towards, so I'm just looking for a good fight.
See: Roy Jones Jr. in his prime. The man had the biggest head in any sport, and his antics often annoyed his opponents to the point where they became overzealous. There's nothing wrong with someone who's hella cocky if his fists can back up his mouth. And so far, Rashad has.

PS: Anyone else notice the ridiculous amount of injuries that has changed this card? Mir, Rampage, Okami, Houston, Koscheck, Irvin; that's A LOT!

Last edited by Parasight; 05-08-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #58
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
I'm indifferent to Shad, so I'll ask you this - why do some people adore him? I just don't understand why anyone before the Lidell fight would go "I really hate Lidell and want this cocky guy to beat his ***"

It's like some people love him just by virtue that others feel so strongly against him. There's not much to love or to hate about him imo, His biggest strength has been his unbelieveable rate of improvement since he's been in the UFC - everyone should give him credit for that, he has elevated his game dramatically at a constant rate.

Just like I don't get why some people hate rampage, I don't get why people L-O-V-E Rashad

If Ramp and Shad faught, like why cheer for Rashad?

Machida has a bunch of haters too, and he is someone else that I respect but feel indifferent towards, so I'm just looking for a good fight.
DTX and the Mayor pretty much broke it down for me. I like the way Rashad fights. When he's in the cage he's not in there to make friends he's in there to do his thing. If a fighter feels so "disrespected" and thrown off their game because Rashad does a little shimmy or grabs his crotch during a brawl than that's on them. I like a dude who just does what ever he's feeling during the course of the fight. He doesn't need to change up his style to make anyone happy.

I don't understand all this cocky talk either. So what he has some swagger when he's in the cage, a confident fighter should. I could see if he just went around talking **** about fighters but that's not what he's about. He always respects his opponents and is a pretty reserved guy when he's just normally talking. People hate this cat for no good reason. Does he smile too much or something? Is he having too much fun when he fights?

Liddell is cool and Forrest is cool, but I wanted Rashad to bust them both up. Someone's gotta win the fight and you're gonna pull for the dude who you like the most. It's not a matter of anyone hating either of those guys in most cases. Rashad is fun to watch, why shouldn't we root for him?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 16

Let's just put this whole like Rashad/dislike Rashad thing to rest. Let's just accept that he's a very polarizing fighter, and people are going to have very different opinions about him. There's been some people on both sides of this that have kinda acted like the other people were wrong in their opinion of the guy.

Regardless, what isn't polarizing is the fact that the guy is a good fighter. Here's to hoping him and Machida put on a good show.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #60
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

I used to dislike Rashad only because he was a huge lay and pray fighter, but since he has finally figured out that there's some power in his hands I'm a big fan.

He is like PBF in a way.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #61
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
I'm indifferent to Shad, so I'll ask you this - why do some people adore him?
He's the MMA equal of TO or Chad Johnson. Machida should be playing the role of George Teague.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #62
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Another great Sugar Shad interview
http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/05/08/r...nderson-silva/

Quote:
Four years ago, Rashad Evans was just another guy trying to make a name for himself on The Ultimate Fighter. Now he's the champion of the UFC's most talented division, and he's getting ready to defend his title against the undefeated Lyoto Machida at UFC 98.

In an interview this week, Evans said that despite Machida's unorthodox style, he's still preparing the way he always does -- like he's still just another guy trying to make a name for himself. Evans also talked about his experiences on The Ultimate Fighter and his goal of breaking Anderson Silva's record for most consecutive UFC wins. The full interview is below.

Michael David Smith: With a couple of weeks to go before your fight with Lyoto Machida, how much does his unique style affect your preparation?

Rashad Evans: Not much at all.

Michael David Smith: Really?

Rashad Evans: I try not to worry too much about anyone else. I think too much attention is paid to how unique his style is. Whenever you prepare for a fight, every fighter has a different way about him. No two fighters are exactly alike. The problems that he presents are pretty much the same as the problems any other fighter presents, as far as my having to prepare for him. His style is not like a lot of people's, but the principles are all the same no matter who you're fighting.

Michael David Smith: Do you have sparring partners who can imitate his style?

Rashad Evans: Yeah, I've got my regular training partners who try to mimic what he does. But like I said, it's still all about preparing for an MMA fight and not so much preparing for one style.

Michael David Smith: Some people think Lyoto's style is boring. Do you agree with that?

Rashad Evans: No, I don't think it's boring. i think it's really good. I like watching Lyoto fight. He's very accurate and he's very precise.

Michael David Smith: Have you watched a lot of film of him?

Rashad Evans: Yeah. Always. I always watch a lot of film.

Michael David Smith: You guys have faced three of the same opponents: Sam Hoger, Stephan Bonnar and Tito Ortiz. Is there anything you can glean from seeing how he faced a fighter that you've also faced?

Rashad Evans: Not really, because those fights happened in different stages of our careers. It's hard to compare.

Michael David Smith: You're actually listed as an underdog, even though you're the champion. Does that bother you?

Rashad Evans: No, of course not. It wouldn't be a Rashad Evans fight if I wasn't the underdog.

Michael David Smith: It was only four years ago that you were just a guy trying to make it on The Ultimate Fighter. Have you gotten used to the fact that you're a world champion?

Rashad Evans: No. I still train like I'm a guy trying to break in.

Michael David Smith: Were you disappointed that you couldn't fight Rampage Jackson?

Rashad Evans: No, not at all. I thought Lyoto was more deserving than Rampage anyway.

Michael David Smith: Why?

Rashad Evans: He's better.

Michael David Smith: After UFC 96 you and Rampage had a little bit of a trash talking session. Do you dislike Rampage?

Rashad Evans: No, actually, I like Rampage a lot. I think he's really funny and charismatic. But I still want to beat his *** some day.

Michael David Smith: Who have you been training with to get ready to fight Machida?

Rashad Evans: Georges St Pierre came down, Keith Jardine has been a big help like he always is, Nate Marquardt has been a big help, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson has been a big help, David Louiseau. A lot of people help me to get ready.

Michael David Smith: All of those guys train with Greg Jackson. What is it that makes Greg Jackson such a good trainer?

Rashad Evans: I think it's just the way he relates to each of his fighters. He has good relationships with all of us and he tries hard to understand all of us. He knows how to communicate with each of us, and we all have ways of communicating differently but he finds ways to communicate with every person directly.

Michael David Smith: Do you have goals you set for yourself in the sport?

Rashad Evans: I want to get Anderson Silva's record for the most consecutive wins in the UFC, with nine, keep the belt and then break that record.

Michael David Smith: Would you like to fight Anderson Silva?

Rashad Evans: Sure. I'd love to fight Anderson Silva.

Michael David Smith: What do you think of his upcoming fight with your last opponent, Forrest Griffin?

Rashad Evans: I think it's going to be a good fight. I think Forrest Griffin is going to perform well because when he's an underdog and everybody thinks he doesn't have a chance, that's when he's at his best. That's when Forrest Griffin is most dangerous. Silva is very, very good and he probably will win the fight. But I don't think it's going to be easy. I think Forrest is going to give him some trouble.

Michael David Smith: I also wanted to ask you about The Ultimate Fighter. Do you have any advice for those young guys who are doing the show now?

Rashad Evans: Just enjoy it. When you're doing a show like that it feels like it's never going to end and I wish I had enjoyed it a little bit. You should have fun doing it.

Michael David Smith: When you were on the show, Matt Hughes was one of the coaches, and he was critical of you. Now you're in the main event at UFC 98 and he's in the co-main event. What do you think of Matt Hughes now and what do you think of his fight with Matt Serra?

Rashad Evans: I've got nothing but love for Matt Hughes. I've got nothing but respect for him because as a champion he's already done what I want to do, have a successful run as champion. I think his fight with Serra is a great fight between two fighters who are in the same spot in their careers right now. It's going to be an interesting fight to see. I don't know who's going to win, and I like both guys, but I think if Matt Hughes goes in there just trying to kill Matt Serra, he might get caught with something. But I think if he goes in there patient and lets the fight develop, then it'll go to Matt Hughes.

Michael David Smith: Hughes and Serra make no secret that they're motivated for this fight because they dislike each other. What about you? Does disliking your opponent help motivate you?

Rashad Evans: Not really. I remember when I fought Tito Ortiz, I got caught up too much in that. I'm the kind of fighter who doesn't need to fight angry or upset. I fight because I love to fight, I love the competition.

Michael David Smith: What about the flip side, fighting someone you really like personally? I know Keith Jardine has said he wouldn't fight you. Do you feel the same way?

Rashad Evans: Of course. Jardine is my No. 1 training partner. I couldn't go through a camp without him. There's just no way I could go into the Octagon and fight him. I would rather retire.

Michael David Smith: That's a bold statement.

Rashad Evans: It's the truth.

Michael David Smith: What do you hope is next for you after the fight on May 23?

Rashad Evans: After I fight Lyoto, God willing I'll come out of that fight with my health. Then I'll go home and spend some time with my family, and hopefully I'll fight again in September or October. I just hope 2009 is a great year of growing, and no matter what my challenges are, I'll become stronger and a better person because of it.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #63
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Damn good interview.

I still want Machida to win, but I'm slowly becoming an Evans fan. He just seems like , despite some of the showboating and what-have-you, he is a real dude that speaks the truth. Respectable.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #64
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah he seems like a regular dude that would be posting on this website on a daily basis if he wasn't a fighter. As far as he not wanting to fight his friend Jardine, only time will tell.

At one point Chuck said the same thing about Tito. Kenny Florian said the same thing about Joe Lauzon. So only time will tell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »