Home

NEW 5/4/09 THQ Developer Q&A

This is a discussion on NEW 5/4/09 THQ Developer Q&A within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Pro

imdahman's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NEW 5/4/09 THQ Developer Q&A

There are some serious concerns here though, which should be addressed. Over at the UFC undisputed forums they are up in arms claiming that submission fighting is broken. I don't like it there because they are rather vulgar, but they do raise some concerns.

Essentially, the Q&A says that in order to get a submission you HAVE to do the following:

Tire him out (stamina-wise) by making him throw a lot of shots or blocking transitions.

However, the current system in place seems to state the following:
You can't get flash submissions no matter what. IE you can't suprise your opponent with a submission and pull out a victory. On the other side of the coin there is always the potential for flash KOs where you catch your opponent perfectly and the fight is over.

For their 'brute strength escapes' they say that it is directly tied to strength and nothing else. This poses a concern because theoretically someone with insane strength will be completely un-submittable. Brock Lesnar will most likely be the strongest person in the game - by this example he could ALWAYS use brute force escapes and ALWAYS escape because, well, his strength will be through the roof.

It's troubling because as someone who trains MMA, jiu-jitsu really is more about technique than strength - yes strength plays a factor but sound technical ability is much more important, especially in defence and escapes. Just because Brock is a mammoth of a man doesn't mean he should be impossible to submit - Mir proved that by submitting him 90seconds into the fight.

"The two most important days in your
life are the day you are born and the day
you find out why.”

- Mark Twain
Old 05-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

I don't know about flash submissions, but I do know that I tapped out Chuck in 32 seconds into the first round on advanced the other day. He missed a high kick, I muay thai clinched him, kneed him in the stomach once, pulled guard, rubber guard, triangle choke and was able to submit him right there.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
Pro

imdahman's Arena

Haha, sweet dude! I play on expert exclusively now and I've only managed to submit Chuck about 3 times. All 3 times went about the same way: I was in mount for a long time, stuffed a bunch of transitions and rained down hammer-fists until he was rocked. Then I slapped on a triangle from Mount and it was over.

I'm still reserving judgement because I'd like to get my hands on a BJJ/Submission expert and see how I do. I mean Rua does have a BJJ black belt but he's gotten maybe one submission victory in his career - he's more about striking/GnP and of course Chuck is a standup KO fighter as well.

Would I be having these same issues if I could use BJ Penn in a lightweight fight? I won't know until I pick up the game May 19th.

you find out why.”

- Mark Twain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #12
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah I have managed to get subs in the 1st round on a regular basis now. There might not be flash subs as they say, but I have noticed you can catch them in subs by countering them off a kick or punch.

I caught chuck one when he tried to do a kick to my midsection and rolled into a kneebar.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
Pro

imdahman's Arena

Whoa.. you can catch-counter into submissions?? I'll have to try that...

EDIT: No you can't, lol... oh well, it was worth a shot
I know that I do want to try and end all my fights with a flying armbar

you find out why.”

- Mark Twain

Last edited by imdahman; 05-05-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I think there's some way to counter something and have all their stamina (or energy,whatever) drain. Not sure how to do it exactly but I think I have done it. It was with the Thai clinch.

Like I said in another topic,at least it's better than the old UFC games. Submission fighters had the big advantage in those. I recall the banning of Jeremy Horn in the Dreamcast game because of his cheap instant kneebar thing that was nearly impossible to avoid/counter. I'm pretty sure there's a vid on youtube of a guy getting KOed by a body shot when his oppoent was in the bottom position of the mount too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »