Home

NEW 5/4/09 THQ Developer Q&A

This is a discussion on NEW 5/4/09 THQ Developer Q&A within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
NEW 5/4/09 THQ Developer Q&A

http://community.ufcundisputed.com/b...developer-qa-9

Can you explain the submission system in detail? Are submissions going to be easier to achieve with other fighters than on the demo?

"I’m so glad someone has asked this question! I’ve seen more than a few people misunderstand our submission system, so here’s the scoop.

Submissions pit two people against each other in a struggle that takes into account many factors. First, the offensive fighter’s submission skill and the type of submission being performed are considered. The higher a fighter’s Submission Offense and the more advantageous the position from which the submission is attempted, the higher the likelihood the submission will succeed. That’s why some people have noticed in our demo that Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s triangle submission from mount is easier than other submissions, like the knee bar from guard or the kimura from half guard. Also, the method the offensive fighter uses to sink in the submission plays an important part. There are two ways to execute a submission – mashing the face buttons or rotating the right stick, a maneuver we call The Shine. In all cases, The Shine is going to be a better method to sink in a submission. Make sure you rotate that stick fast! The faster you rotate the stick, the higher your chance of success.

It’s the defensive side and how players deal with submissions that I think confuses a lot of people. Similarly to the offensive fighter, a defensive fighter has stats that influence how successful he is at getting out of submissions. But in the defensive fighter’s case, they have two different stats – Strength and Submission Defense – and which state is used depends on which type of escape is performed. Brute force escapes, which are performed by rapidly mashing the face buttons, only take into account Strength. The other type of submission escape, Technical Escapes, which are also executed via The Shine, only look at a defensive fighter’s Submission Defense. As a defender, your best bet is to know which of these two stats is higher and to utilize the escape suited to that higher stat.

There is another extremely important factor in the success rate of a submission, and that is the defender’s energy level. I have seen many people incorrectly assert that the best way to execute a submission is to weaken your opponent by beating him up. This is simply not true! Energy is not lowered by hurting your opponent; stamina is the answer. Energy is only depleted when your opponent performs actions; running, striking, transitions, etc. all temporarily lower energy levels, and the lower your opponent’s energy level, the more vulnerable he is to submissions. We didn’t want fighters coming out and submitting people instantly, simply because they have a higher Submission Offense. We feel this would be very frustrating for players (and yes, there are fighters in the game with higher Submission Offense than Shogun and lower Submission Defense than Chuck Liddell, so there will be matchups where submissions are a bit easier than others). For example, Brock Lesnar has extremely high Strength and Standing Striking Offense, but even he can’t just one-punch KO everyone in the game at will. It just wouldn’t be fun, and we just don’t think it’d be fun with submissions, either.

My suggestion would be for submission fighters to pay close attention to what actions their opponents are performing to see when a submission opportunity presents itself. If you land a takedown and your opponent immediately starts spamming transition attempts or has just delivered a flurry of strikes and left himself gassed, this means he’s using up a lot of energy and thus will be vulnerable to a submission. However, if the opponent is playing a calmer strategy and is perhaps only attempting to protect himself while throwing carefully timed strikes, submitting isn’t going to be a very viable option.

Hope this helps!
"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Rookie

MrMayface's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NEW 5/4/09 THQ Developer Q&A

Thanks for this! I'll read it on the bus ride home.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

So there will be sizable lean in favor of strikers in the game. Wish I knew this before the draft started.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Rookie

oChaos_Nine's Arena

OVR: 11

The explanation of submissions doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know, but they do make it seem like it won't be impossible with other players and opponents in the retail version.

I like that you'll be able to play with your created fighter online and that it searches for an opponent with similar skill points instead of finding just anybody that could be fully maxed.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
So there will be sizable lean in favor of strikers in the game. Wish I knew this before the draft started.
Not really, just keeping them on their back will drain stamina. So controlling the fight on the ground can get you a sub early
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

And once you get any kind of dominant position, it's much easier to keep someone from bettering their situation by just transition blocking (much easier than preventing transitions from a bad position) -- rarely will strikes from the ground have an effect, so you can just focus on strikes form the top and improving your position. If you get good position and know what you're doing, you should be able to ride them to the ground and keep them there for entire rounds while draining stamina and doing damage with strikes.

I think great strikers have the superficial advantage (Flash KOs will be easier), but overall, I'd rather be a guy who's good at the ground game and can control the tempo and momentum of the fight. ANY striker no matter how good will do gown in an instant with the leg catch counter, and unless they're multi-dimensional, they'll just spend the rest of the round on their back. If you score a few takedowns and they don't really do much damage to you before you get them down, you should win by decision every time.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I'm a ground guy myself. So I say let people play as the strikers. I am going to catch everything they throw and take them to the ground. It is going to be a jiujistu fest.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I'm a ground guy myself. So I say let people play as the strikers. I am going to catch everything they throw and take them to the ground. It is going to be a jiujistu fest.
Which is why strikers like me will be smart, pick our shots, and rip you apart.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »