Home

Umm... changing intro banner?

This is a discussion on Umm... changing intro banner? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Umm... changing intro banner?

The Camp unlocks are nice for what they are. If you fight with a camp 5 times they'll sponsor you. It's the equivalent of a level 5 sponsorship for your shorts which is worth +80 Cred. Considering 4 years in the highest I've scored on my own is a +50, it can really help your CRED score.

Overall considering how strong Yukes Creation modes were in SVR and to a lesser extent Wrestlemania, I'm a little disappointed with the lack of variety.

Maybe next year
Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 16

I've found this interesting, because a lot of people criticize various games for focusing too much on extraneous stuff and not enough on core gameplay. Madden has gotten killed for years for this.

But then Yuke's comes along and delivers core gameplay that is incredible their first time out, but as a result have to skimp on some of the window dressing initially, and a lot of people have really gotten on them for it.

It's a complete catch-22.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

I agree...but with the size of the media being used and the development cycle, not to metion existing experience in creating the content it shouldn't have been a big issue to tack on a few extras that would've made career mode that much more interesting.

I just see all the little things that went into the career mode (from the way the development is handled down to Bruce Buffer recognizing when you've developed one discipline more than another referring to you as a Kick Boxer instead of a Mixed Martial Artist) and something and integral to the experience as the lead up to the fight seems lacking in some areas. Sure as one of the developers said, a lot of times people just skip over these parts, but that's no excuse not to have them there.

At the end of the day I'd prefer they got the in ring right vs. the extraneous stuff, but in this day and age with the sophistication of the developers the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive (MLB 2009 The Show being example A).

Maybe next year after they have one development cycle under their belt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhocmark
At the end of the day I'd prefer they got the in ring right vs. the extraneous stuff, but in this day and age with the sophistication of the developers the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive (MLB 2009 The Show being example A).
But MLB 09 is the fourth game in that series. They've been working on The Show since about 2004. You couldn't have possibly expected Undisputed to have all the window dressing of The Show right out of the gate, could you?

It's remarkable enough that Undisputed already has better gameplay than The Show, but it's gonna need a little time to get some more fluff around that gameplay.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

Quote:
But MLB 09 is the fourth game in that series. They've been working on The Show since about 2004. You couldn't have possibly expected Undisputed to have all the window dressing of The Show right out of the gate, could you?

I'd normally agree with that for the most part (a debate for another thread) but again developers are getting more sophisticated and Yukes/THQ already have 2 series going that were effectively doing what they should've been doing here.

Normally its the other way around. A new franchise gets the bells and whistles spot on while totally blowing the game play.

Considering what is missing and some of the less than friendly menu hopping issues, I almost get the feeling the pressure was put on to get this sucker out the door before the spit and polish could be applied.

Overall I'm not horribly bothered, I just think it was an opportunity lost on something that shouldn't have been all that hard for Yukes to manage with their extensive background with the WWE franchise.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhocmark
I'd normally agree with that for the most part (a debate for another thread) but again developers are getting more sophisticated and Yukes/THQ already have 2 series going that were effectively doing what they should've been doing here.
Yuke's has been making Smackdown games for almost 10 years. Again, you're comparing Undisputed to a long-running franchise that has had the opportunity to learn from experience and iterate on their previous work.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

No, I'm saying a team that has developmental knowledge should be putting it to use.

It's not like we're talking about gameplay, we're talking about polish. When the outside game and immersion bells and whistles aren't at the level of a game made by the same developer 3 times in the current console life that's unfortunate.

I still don't get why a company that have been doing ring introductions for as you say a decade, left them out of this product. Or a developer who has had a decade of customization under their belt didn't give you the option to use the banner of a team that is sponsoring you.

Considering the quality of the rest of the product and the numerous other things they got right in the career mode it's a bit of a mystery.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »