Home

Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans: TUF 10 coaches report

This is a discussion on Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans: TUF 10 coaches report within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans: TUF 10 coaches report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
You're putting a lot of hope on a Shogun who hasn't done anything special in about 2 years or so. He's been pretty unimpressive in the UFC. I don't look at his Liddell fight as much, as Liddell is pretty much a walk through at this point.
I'll give him a pass on the Griffin and Coleman fights because of his injuries though.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 29

But who's to say he's back yet? You know?

He fought a slow, over the hill Liddell - it just doesn't say anything about him. I don't really see how that warrants any sort of title shot, or even hype. He needs to beat another top fighter to prove he's at that level right now.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #35
Pro

Rau71's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'll give him a pass on the Griffin and Coleman fights because of his injuries though.
So if you give him a pass on those fights, and then beating Glass Joe, I mean Chuck Liddell. You are looking back a long ways. How many poor fights does a fighter need to have before he isn't all he is hyped up to be anymore?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #36
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rau71
So if you give him a pass on those fights, and then beating Glass Joe, I mean Chuck Liddell. You are looking back a long ways. How many poor fights does a fighter need to have before he isn't all he is hyped up to be anymore?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a Rua fan. I dont give him much credit for the Lidell win and dont give him much blame for the poor showing against Coleman/Griffin. But if you take away Evans, Rampage, Silva and Forrest...who the hell else deserves a shot?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #37
Pro

Rau71's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Dont get me wrong, I'm not a Rua fan. I dont give him much credit for the Lidell win and dont give him much blame for the poor showing against Coleman/Griffin. But if you take away Evans, Rampage, Silva and Forrest...who the hell else deserves a shot?
If Machida has to fight someone other then those guys, maybe give an up and comer a shot, Luiz Cane, or Jon Jones. Someone who might not have fought at that level yet, but hasn't been putting out poor performances for their last 3 fights.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #38
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rau71
If Machida has to fight someone other then those guys, maybe give an up and comer a shot, Luiz Cane, or Jon Jones. Someone who might not have fought at that level yet, but hasn't been putting out poor performances for their last 3 fights.

Rua did not look poor against Chuck. I though he looked really good for how short the fight was. Two problems with Cane or Jones: 1) I love both of those fighters but their records dont justify a title shot either. Cane's biggest wins are over Cantwell and an overrated Soko. Jones biggest win is over Bonner.

2) From a business perspective....how do you sell that PPV. Machida v. Cane...Machida v. Jones. Rua has a built in name and even though he looked bad against Griffin/Coleman...you can sell his KO of Chuck and his Pride performances.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

I wouldn't spend a penny on Machida vs Rua. But like most, I don't see who else deserves a title shot. Rampage vs Machida was the only one that made sense.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #40
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
You're putting a lot of hope on a Shogun who hasn't done anything special in about 2 years or so. He's been pretty unimpressive in the UFC. I don't look at his Liddell fight as much, as Liddell is pretty much a walk through at this point.
form is temporary.....

but class is permanent.

I understand that Shogun hasn't exactly done great the past 2 years, but I think he presents the toughest challenge for Machida in the LHW. If Machida beats Shogun, the Machida Era will officially be underway, because the next hope of someone beating him in my eyes is Jon Jones , but right now he's just too green, and if he meets Machida down the line, Machida will probably be over the hill close to or in his mid 30s anyways unless Machida's over the hill is later than most fighters since he just doesn't get hit.

It will be interesting that's for sure. Do you think Machida will basically abuse Shogun if they meet this september? Could happen, but I'm hoping at least machida gets challenged and gets hit hard so we can see how he battles adversity.

Edit: Rua looked good against Liddell but his defense looked real suspect to me. I donno, maybe I am spoiled by watching the defensive masterpiece put on by both Evans and Machida this past weekend. Yea Evans got rocked and eventually KTFO, but his defense was decent considering it was an in-form Machida he went against.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 05-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »