Home

A "noob" question.

This is a discussion on A "noob" question. within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: A "noob" question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglami
exception to #1 is Brock Lesnar, who got a title shot after just 3 fights (2-1 record)
Or BJ getting a shot at GSP he never came close to earning.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
Pro

biglami's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
Or BJ getting a shot at GSP he never came close to earning.
I think BJ earned that fight...he was at the time and still is the 155 champ, former 170 champ, and in the last fight with GSP which went to decision, I thought BJ should have won (BJ beat GSP up then GSP got a lot of takedowns...but like Bas Rutten says, takedowns without damage infliction are ought not award you points in an MMA match)
Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglami
I think BJ earned that fight...he was at the time and still is the 155 champ, former 170 champ, and in the last fight with GSP which went to decision, I thought BJ should have won (BJ beat GSP up then GSP got a lot of takedowns...but like Bas Rutten says, takedowns without damage infliction are ought not award you points in an MMA match)
BJ hadnt fought at in the UFC at WW in 2 years and hadnt won a fight in the UFC at WW 5 years.

None of those weak reasons you listed should have been enough to get to get him a title shot without winning a few fights at WW first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
MVP

Bolts_26's Arena

OVR: 37

One Last Question:

Every time a title holder fights, will his championship be on the line?

For Example, BJ Penn will be defending his title in EVERY SINGLE match up or only if he wants to put it on the line?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_26
One Last Question:

Every time a title holder fights, will his championship be on the line?

For Example, BJ Penn will be defending his title in EVERY SINGLE match up or only if he wants to put it on the line?
Well Penn just lost to GSP in the ww division. But he didnt put up his lw title. So while they can do it, it wont happen often. Title fights bring in more money.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 29

Not always - but pretty much always. If it's at your weight class, it's a title shot unless you or your opponent fails to make weight.

This happened in the WEC when the MW cham Paulo Filho failed to make weight, and so his defense was lowered to just a regular fight; which he lost. I find that bull**** - he should have been come down on hard for missing weight in a defense. Sonnen beat him, and should have been given the belt.

If a fighter moves up or down a class, then it's not a defense, just a regular fight. You can't really defend your 155 belt in a 170 lb fight. However, you can fight for that classes belt - like how Penn moved up to 170 to fight an undeserved title shot against GSP. Had he won, he would have been the LW and WW champion.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
MVP

Bolts_26's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Well Penn just lost to GSP in the ww division. But he didnt put up his lw title. So while they can do it, it wont happen often. Title fights bring in more money.
Ok. I figured it was something like that.

thanks for the help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay

This happened in the WEC when the MW cham Paulo Filho failed to make weight, and so his defense was lowered to just a regular fight; which he lost. I find that bull**** - he should have been come down on hard for missing weight in a defense. Sonnen beat him, and should have been given the belt.

Man you should lose the belt just for not making wieght. He should have to go back and win it again if he cant make weight. That actually makes me mad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »