Home

Post-Fight Antics Dim Lesnar’s Afterglow at UFC 100

This is a discussion on Post-Fight Antics Dim Lesnar’s Afterglow at UFC 100 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Post-Fight Antics Dim Lesnar’s Afterglow at UFC 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck
As I said earlier, I heard Rogan use the word "douchebag" on live air. While not offensive to me, it's still unprofessional, even if he's just repeating what someone else said. That's the kind of stuff I'm referring to when I use the word unprofessional.
So Rogan repeating a quote, including the word douchebag, on pay-per-view, that's unprofessional? What's Rogan supposed to say? "Henderson made waves by calling Bisping a, well, a feminine hygiene product. How very uncouth of him."

My sense of decency will not be shocked by hearing the word douchebag once on pay-per-view. If that's unprofessional, I don't want him to be professional.

Seriously, you're busting on Rogan for not acting like Michelle Tafoya.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #26
MVP

To put it another way ace, a lot of us like MMA because there's very little bull****. There's no 270 lb guys flopping, no superstars diving for a call, no international icon faking an injury. It's about as simple and as real as competition gets.

Expecting Rogan to dance around even borderline words like 'douchebag' when repeating a quote, all for the sake of some "professionalism", that's bull****.

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting that. It's totally your opinion. I do think it's pretty unreasonable to expect it, considering the sport, the audience, and the fact that it's pay-per-view. If Rogan was cussing like crazy and throwing out controversial stuff, then sure, a bit more professionalism would be called for. But not to repeat the word 'douchebag' a single time? Like I said, I think that's a bit unreasonable.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #27
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean3790
It's not like this happens after every fight. Every time something like this happens, you have 5 times where the guys congratulate each other after a fight and show some mutual respect.

I love how the Yahoo! Sports writers are flipping out over this whole thing...when we have the stuff mgoblue mentioned going on on a daily basis in all other sports.
All it takes is one bad showing for people to get the wrong perception. And perception is reality.

And a lot of people were watching this fight. The ad campaign going in was RIDICULOUS and, on paper, it was probably the biggest fight card ever, with GSP-Alves being worthy of a main event at most other UFCs and Hendo-Bisping being hyped up months prior on TUF. Oh, and that Lesnar dude that everyone wants to see.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
To put it another way ace, a lot of us like MMA because there's very little bull****. There's no 270 lb guys flopping, no superstars diving for a call, no international icon faking an injury. It's about as simple and as real as competition gets.

Expecting Rogan to dance around even borderline words like 'douchebag' when repeating a quote, all for the sake of some "professionalism", that's bull****.

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting that. It's totally your opinion. I do think it's pretty unreasonable to expect it, considering the sport, the audience, and the fact that it's pay-per-view. If Rogan was cussing like crazy and throwing out controversial stuff, then sure, a bit more professionalism would be called for. But not to repeat the word 'douchebag' a single time? Like I said, I think that's a bit unreasonable.
For a sport that struggles at times to be considered a true professional sport, it seems like a little professionalism would go a long way. I personally don't care that Rogan says what he says. That's just Rogan. Honestly, I love Rogan. I'm just calling it like it is. It's not that professional. His announcing is great for drunk guys in their 20's and 30's. I know this is the biggest demographic for UFC, so I guess I can't blame them. However, it does strike me as a little too similar to the announcing for WWE. I'm not comparing the UFC to WWE in any other fashion other than the announcing at times, so please don't take it down that road. UFC is real. WWE is fake. We know this.

I just see a lot of similarities in the announcing between the two. Over the top at times, and extremely unprofessional also at times. Thought I can't speak for current announcing of WWE, as I haven't watched it in many years. I just know how WWE announcing generally goes. "It's a slobber-knocker. He's a beast. This is mayhem in the ring. OMG!" That type of stuff. I hear a lot of that type of dialog during UFC fights. It's not nearly as bad or frequent, but it's there.

I guess I'm crazy to just want the UFC to be taken to a more professional level. It's not like I'm saying the UFC sucks. I'm saying I want it to be more professional if they want it to be considered a professional sport like the rest of the big boys. I'm not saying there's not unprofessional behavior in the other sports, but the sport as a whole just comes off as being more professional. Broadcasts and presentation-wise, baseball, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf, boxing, racing, you name it. They're all presented to you in an extremely professional way. Why is it so much to ask that the UFC do the same? It's absolutely night and day when compared with these other sports. The UFC presentation needs to distance itself from the WWE PPV feel it currently has.

Last edited by Acedeck; 07-13-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #29
Rookie

GrayFolded's Arena

OVR: 2

I really wish Brock had taken the High Road and had been respectful in these early stages of his MMA Career, but it looks like he wants to be the "Bad Boy" of the HW Div.......He claims to have "NO RESPECT" for anyone he fights and these child-like Post Fight antics will continue and most likely get worse.......

I also have found a growing backlash now on other sites claiming what good is a Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu if a "Pro Wrestler" can easily beat you....Now obviously these are not MMA Fans at all (Most are Boxing fans that hate MMA) and no nothing of the Sport of MMA, but WWF like antics at the end of fights will continue to throw logs on this fire...

It's really is a shame that Brock has so much ability but very little class.....

Last edited by GrayFolded; 07-13-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I think that UFC needs someone like Lesnar. I shouldn't say needs. What I mean is you want to have a "heel". You want fans to come out and hate a guy. Every Lesnar fight you can hype the next guy as the "one to shut him up". If they use it correctly the is marketing gold in Lesnar acting like he did.

As long as he stops going after the target sponsors with thier logs in the center of the ring.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 07-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #31
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I think that UFC needs someone like Lesnar. I shouldn't say needs. What I mean is you want to have a "heel". You want fans to come out and hate a guy. Every Lesnar fight you can hype the next guy as the "one to shut him up". If they use it correctly the is marketing gold in Lesnar acting like he did.

As long as he stops going after the target sponsors with thier logs in the center of the ring.
Exactly. Fight Promotion 101.

Some people really don't get it. I mean seriously, how did UFC become so popular anyway? Because it was a real sport? No, they built up trash talking rivalries between Shamrock & Tito and Koshceck & Leben. But Brock talking crap is bad for the sport...why? Because he was in WWE? Nevermind that the matchmaker is a lifelong wrestling fan and the president of the company thinks he's Vince in '84...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #32
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggidyJames
Exactly. Fight Promotion 101.

Some people really don't get it. I mean seriously, how did UFC become so popular anyway? Because it was a real sport? No, they built up trash talking rivalries between Shamrock & Tito and Koshceck & Leben. But Brock talking crap is bad for the sport...why? Because he was in WWE? Nevermind that the matchmaker is a lifelong wrestling fan and the president of the company thinks he's Vince in '84...
Because it helped the sport in the past, that doesn't mean it's going to help the sport now.

Past rivalries and antics helped get publicity, and I don't think that's what the UFC needs right now. It's gotten plenty of publicity since the Griffin-Bonnar fight at the TUF1 Finale, and UFC 100 stepped it up even further with such a huge card.

MMA and the UFC need respect, not more publicity.

I COMPLETELY understand what Lesnar can do for fight promotion. I study communications, so I've got a little understanding of publicity and advertising, and I realize that this is great for getting more people to watch the sport. They've got plenty to roll with in the future in terms of (like N51_rob said) "who can be the one to shut him up."

But is that really what you want to see the UFC turn into? I don't think they're at much of a struggle anymore in terms of getting people to watch the events and getting people excited about the card time after time, so they don't NEED to go to these cheap forms advertising and publicity.

I feel like now is the time to actually get the sport some respectable recognition. They've got people watching now (and boxing's PPV numbers will go down as the long-time boxing fans move on while the younger crowd that has grown up on UFC continues to grow and buy more PPVs... the numbers between UFC and major boxing events will even out).

It's time to get the athletes the respect they deserve. I've said it before--these are some of the most skilled, conditioned, and disciplined athletes in the word... they deserve more than WWF comparisons. This is a true sport that is so pure and deserves more than "oh, that's just like the WWF" or "that's just human cockfighting."

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »