Home

UFC: Who Will be the First to Lose Their Title?

This is a discussion on UFC: Who Will be the First to Lose Their Title? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: UFC: Who Will be the First to Lose Their Title?

Penn kept his title when he fought GSP at 170. Silva is keeping his despite fights at 205. I'm not sure why anyone has the idea that GSP would have to give up his title to fight a couple times at 185.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
Penn kept his title when he fought GSP at 170. Silva is keeping his despite fights at 205. I'm not sure why anyone has the idea that GSP would have to give up his title to fight a couple times at 185.
That is exactly what i am trying to figure out. Is there something im missing?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 29

People are talking about permanently moving up a weight class - which would mean GSP wouldn't fight at 170 ever again, which means he'd have to give up his title.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
People are talking about permanently moving up a weight class - which would mean GSP wouldn't fight at 170 ever again, which means he'd have to give up his title.
That'd be pretty unprecedented. I don't think any reigning UFC champ has ever decided to permanently change weight classes. Sure, some have moved up for superfights, and former champions have moved when they could no longer hack it in their division, but I don't think any reigning champ has ever made a move like that.

And I haven't heard a single person even suggest GSP do that. All the talk about 185 seems entirely focused on a single superfight with Silva.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
And I haven't heard a single person even suggest GSP do that
I was just commenting on what dean said, pretty much

Quote:
Then GSP/Silva mainly due to the fact that they are going to have to do something very different, like moving up a weight class which would vacate the belt.
People were saying moving up a class to fight doesn't vacate the belt, but I'm pretty sure he meant permanently, in order to get some competition, not just for a fight or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Ok thanks i was missing the permanent part. Is there a benefit for a permanent move?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Ok thanks i was missing the permanent part. Is there a benefit for a permanent move?
Competition and not having to bounce around weights would pretty much be it; and the perk of being one of the very few who have held a belt at two classes, if they managed that.

But the weight thing can get pretty tough when you're moving up and down classes instead of just having to worry about making one weight.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Competition and not having to bounce around weights would pretty much be it; and the perk of being one of the very few who have held a belt at two classes, if they managed that.

But the weight thing can get pretty tough when you're moving up and down classes instead of just having to worry about making one weight.
plus GSP is getting into his prime and an age where you thinken up a bit and naturally grow a bit larger. When GSP is 32 I doubt cutting to 170 will even be a viable option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »