Home

Dana White: "EA Doesn't Give a **** About MMA"

This is a discussion on Dana White: "EA Doesn't Give a **** About MMA" within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #17

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Dana White: "EA Doesn't Give a **** About MMA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I have to laugh at the comments about EA only being out for the money, what do you think the UFC is in business for? So what if EA didn't think a UFC game would be viable a year or two ago? Things change and many of the corporations/media the UFC is getting interest from probably thought the same at some point. The UFC's primary viewers are quite a marketable demographic, so of course EA flipped their stance.

blacklisting fighters because they sign with EA shows he doesn't really give a crap about the MMA industry either, just the UFC's merchandise. There are some great fighters outside of the UFC right now, and freezing them out of the top organization isn't done to make the sport stronger.
Give me a break. Dana and the Fertitas stuck with the UFC back when they were so far in the hole that it was almost a countdown until they had to close shop. Dana and them believed in the sport and continued to dump their own money into it to get it going. They are the reason that MMA is even relevant today and I cant blame Dana for protecting his brand. THQ stuck their neck on the line, some reports say they basically put their entire company on the line to support the UFC game, and I have absolutely zero problems with him standing beside them instead of running to where the money is.

So, in your opinion, Dana should not only help EA while hurting the one company that went all in with the UFC in THQ but then he should reward the fighters who also helped in doing this by offering them a contract?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #18
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

it's funny everybody bitches about EA "taking" the nfl license and leaving no choice in the football gaming world, but the second somebody tries to do the same to them it's the greatest thing ever.
this happened a year and a half ago, things change. EA wasn't interested in, what everybody keeps pointing out as a company that was on it's last leg and putting everything on the line for the game. what a shocker. I for one can't wait to see what they do wit MMA based on Fight Night alone, I'm sure the striking/blocking/countering will be miles ahead of anything THQ comes up with.
also, I'm not even sure why this article is even newsworthy. Dana White is a man sized baby, and anytime he doesn't get his way, he gets pissed. Of course he hates EA now, they turned him down. He's like that guy who gets shot down by a girl at the bar and goes around talking ish about her the rest of the night. that's all this is.

Last edited by judgejudy; 07-14-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 8
ea sports would just put out a bad game anyway so this is good news for gamers. they cant even get football right and look how long they have been making madden and ncaa.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 8
and why make or worry about a ea sports version anyway thq's mma is very damn good better then fight night 4 and i have both
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #21

The Chef's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
it's funny everybody bitches about EA "taking" the nfl license and leaving no choice in the football gaming world, but the second somebody tries to do the same to them it's the greatest thing ever.
this happened a year and a half ago, things change. EA wasn't interested in, what everybody keeps pointing out as a company that was on it's last leg and putting everything on the line for the game. what a shocker. I for one can't wait to see what they do wit MMA based on Fight Night alone, I'm sure the striking/blocking/countering will be miles ahead of anything THQ comes up with.
also, I'm not even sure why this article is even newsworthy. Dana White is a man sized baby, and anytime he doesn't get his way, he gets pissed. Of course he hates EA now, they turned him down. He's like that guy who gets shot down by a girl at the bar and goes around talking ish about her the rest of the night. that's all this is.
Yeah, why should he be mad? I mean EA basically told him that MMA wasnt a sport and wasnt worth their time but suddenly they see dollar signs and are more then willing to release a game even though apparently MMA wasnt worth their time 3 years ago. THQ had faith and showed it, Dana, if anything, seems to be extremely loyal so it doesnt surprise me that he would stick by THQ until the end and his comments about EA only further support this. Ohh, and your comparison to EA taking the NFL license makes no damn sense at all. UFC doesnt have some monopoly on MMA games, EA can go ahead and make one if they want, but Dana isnt going to let his fighter help with it. EA could still easily make a game using a mixture of fighters from Affliction and Strikeforce if they wanted so this is completely different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #22
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

it does make sense, because that's the only thing anybody ever seems to hold against EA. "they took the nfl license away and have made terrible football games, i hate everything they do because of it" just look at the posts made here about how they can't get football right, or their games have sucked until recently anyway. it just shows that people want to hate EA for anything possible.
if so and so wouldn't have played it because it was an EA game, then why does it even matter that they said no? they're a business just like every other game company. do you really think THQ went with the game because they love mma so much? no, they "saw the dollar signs" as you said. if anything, I'd say it worked out better for everybody, since nobody would have even given EA a chance based on the responses I see here, and if they had said yes, everybody would be up in arms about Dana selling out to EA.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 AM   #23
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
ESPN showed a lot of love to the UFC this weekend.
Yes on Sportscenter. This was pretty much the first time that UFC was their main topic for a few days. Watch Any other show on ESPN and they talk about how all it is is bloodshed and chaos and how people shouldn't watch it because its inhumane. I really enjoy ESPN, but it seems like when UFC or Soccer are on the network, 80% of the people who talk about it hate it even though they know nothing about it at all. Also they really need to work on getting the terms of MMA down since they are finally starting to except that it is growing. Watching their highlights and listening to their commentary on it was painful. Honestly I think if they got more experts in these sports, they'd sound a lot smarter in this area instead of bashing it with minimal knowledge like they do now.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #24

The Chef's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
it does make sense, because that's the only thing anybody ever seems to hold against EA. "they took the nfl license away and have made terrible football games, i hate everything they do because of it" just look at the posts made here about how they can't get football right, or their games have sucked until recently anyway. it just shows that people want to hate EA for anything possible.
if so and so wouldn't have played it because it was an EA game, then why does it even matter that they said no? they're a business just like every other game company. do you really think THQ went with the game because they love mma so much? no, they "saw the dollar signs" as you said. if anything, I'd say it worked out better for everybody, since nobody would have even given EA a chance based on the responses I see here, and if they had said yes, everybody would be up in arms about Dana selling out to EA.
What? THQ went into it with the UFC with no guarantee that the game would sell. THQ put everything on the line because they had faith that it would sell while EA said it wasnt even a sport. I would say thats a rather large difference between the circumstances surrounding what caused THQ to jump on board and what caused EA to now jump on board. In the end there can be no NFL game thanks to EA but there can still be a professionally based MMA game, on any system mind you, so trying to compare EA/NFL to THQ/UFC is completely ridiculous, they are completely different.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »