Home

Fedor Signs Multi-Fight/M-1 Co-Promotion Deal w/Strikeforce

This is a discussion on Fedor Signs Multi-Fight/M-1 Co-Promotion Deal w/Strikeforce within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39
Fedor Signs Multi-Fight/M-1 Co-Promotion Deal w/Strikeforce

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/3/...nko-signs-with

World's No. 1 MMA Heavyweight To Fight

In STRIKEFORCE / M-1 Global Co-Promoted Events

First Fight To Air This Fall, Live on SHOWTIME®

NEW YORK (August 3, 2009)--After a week of intense negotiations and speculation, the hottest topic of discussion in the professional fight world has come to a head as the world's number one heavyweight and most sought after mixed martial arts (MMA) champion Fedor "The Last Emperor" Emelianenko has signed a historic, multi-fight agreement that will see him headline mega-events co-promoted by world championship promotions STRIKEFORCE and M-1 Global.

Emelianenko, known globally as Fedor, will make his premium television debut this Fall when his first fight under the new agreement airs live on SHOWTIME®. Up until now, Emelianenko's live fights have aired exclusively on pay-per-view in the United States.

"I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level," said the 33-year-old Emelianenko. During his nine year professional fight career, which included a four and a half year stay with the world's former top MMA promotion, the now defunct PRIDE Fighting Championship, the Russian native has faced and defeated all comers.

In his last effort, the 6-foot, 235-pound Emelianenko decimated the number two ranked heavyweight at the time Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski with a single punch in the first round (3:14) of the main event of Affliction: "Day of Reckoning" at Anaheim, California's Honda Center on January 24.

"STRIKEFORCE is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world," continued Emelianenko. "I am prepared to fight any of them."

"We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with M-1 Global and Fedor," said STRIKEFORCE Founder and CEO Scott Coker, a martial arts fight promoter of over 25 years. "Fedor has been the reigning king of MMA's heavyweight division for quite some time now so being able to work with M-1 and Fedor will substantially increase the level of competition amongst the athletes in this weight class."

"With the addition of Fedor and STRIKEFORCE's new relationship with M-1 Global, SHOWTIME is now the home of the best pound-for-pound male and female fighters in the world," said Ken Hershman, Senior VP and General Manager of SHOWTIME Sports®. "The Aug. 15 Carano-Cyborg matchup on SHOWTIME will clearly determine the best female mixed martial artist on the planet. Then, come this Fall, our subscribers again will witness history when the universally recognized best male fighter-Fedor Emelianenko-joins the already long list of world-class athletes on the STRIKEFORCE roster, and for the first time ever plies his skills live on SHOWTIME."

Hershman continued: "We are better positioned now than ever before to deliver on our promise to televise the top fighters in mixed martial arts today."

"I am very happy and excited about the upcoming collaboration with Strikeforce," said Vadim Finkelchtein, President of M-1 Global. "We are very pleased that we found a reliable partner and I feel that Strikeforce and M-1 can support each other on many things. This will create big opportunities for both parties to test their fighters against worthy opponents."

Though his official professional record is 30-1, Emelianenko is considered undefeated. The only blemish on his record is a December 22, 2000 fight that was stopped after 17 seconds and declared a TKO in favor of his opponent, Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, due to a cut Emelianenko sustained in the opening seconds of the matchup in Osaka, Japan.

Amongst those on Emelianenko's list of impressive conquests are former PRIDE Heavyweight Champions Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mark "The Hammer" Coleman, and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic as well as former UFC Heavyweight Champions Kevin "The Monster" Randleman and Tim Sylvia, whom Emelianenko submitted with a rear naked choke only 36 seconds into their main event showdown at Affliction: "Banned" on July 19, 2008.

Despite his extensive experience, Emelianenko's debut under the new STRIKEFORCE-M-1 venture will, interestingly enough, mark his first start in a cage. To date, all of his bouts have taken place in a ring.

After co-promoting two events live on SHOWTIME in 2007 and 2008, STRIKEFORCE in March 2009 signed a multi-year agreement to stage live MMA events on the premium cable television network."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Fedor Signs Multi-Fight/M-1 Co-Promotion Deal w/Strikeforce

Wow. Too bad i dont have Showtime
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

That sucks...want to see him fight in the top promotion out there. Hopefully he'll eventually come to his senses and give the fans what they want to see. At the same point, I don't blame Dana and the UFC one bit because what M1 wanted was pretty crazy. Makes more sense for Strikeforce for sure.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Banned

TwelveozPlaya21's Arena

OVR: 18

best part of the report was this.

"I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level," said the 33-year-old Emelianenko

Well considering he has faught Tim Syliva and AA I guess strikeforce's HW could be consider higher level..
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Lets start a death clock for Strikeforce. I have no idea how they plan to finance this. They have no one for him to fight. They have Rogers and Werdum. Overreem cant stay healthy so he's no guarantee. Does anyone see that headlining a PPV? I watch Strikeforce and love their fights but does anyone see this as a good move? The reason why Strikeforce was successful is because they dont overpay fighters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

I really dont follow Strikeforce due to the fact i dont have Showtime. Who do they have in their HW division??
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Yeah, we'll see how co-promoting with M-1 goes for yet another middling promotion... I hope for the best because I truly do like the competition between domestic orgs, but I think this will definitely make the UFC step up its game in regards to Strikeforce (trying to aggressively sign their good fighters, diminish Fedor some more, diminish whoever doesn't go to the UFC).

Whatever, he'll fight Brett Rogers and win, get Showtime some extra subscriptions, and start building a bit of a brand in the US. Maybe it'll work out.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Lets start a death clock for Strikeforce. I have no idea how they plan to finance this. They have no one for him to fight. They have Rogers and Werdum. Overreem cant stay healthy so he's no guarantee. Does anyone see that headlining a PPV? I watch Strikeforce and love their fights but does anyone see this as a good move? The reason why Strikeforce was successful is because they dont overpay fighters.
Rogers is the only guy I'm interested to see him face. Werdum is a UFC washout and would just be killed by Fedor. Overreem I don't know much about, except for hearing he's hurt all the time it seems.

You make a great point about the money. Until now Scott Coker has done a great job at signing guys at reasonable contracts and putting together fun shows. Fedor isn't a PPV draw, and he won't get people to subscribe to Showtime. A vast majority of Fedor fans are all ready hardcore MMA fans and all ready watch Strikeforce.

Fedor couldn't carry Affliction, and I doubt he'll be able to carry Strikeforce. Honestly, I think Cyborg/Carano has more drawing power in the US at this point, lots of casual fans will tune in to watch two top women fight (sexist or not, it's true).

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »