Home

MMA judging - TV a better option?

This is a discussion on MMA judging - TV a better option? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
MMA judging - TV a better option?

I was watching an old youtube interview with Big John Mcarthy and it came to me as he was commenting on judging. He said, they're looking for certain things and seeing things in a certain way and looking at it from one angle...don't know why I never thought of this before but what if they were judging in a room somewhere else in the stadium watching from the TV angles?

There is no question they would see more of the action IMO. Maybe the judging would be better if they were in a room alone watching the tv angles. In fact maybe each one alone in a booth watching? That could give us better results.

having a good deal of knowledge of live sports television productions I can say it's very doable, and they wouldn't have the commentary. You could give them just the wild audio or effects audio or nothing at all if you want. It's really whatever would work the best.

thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: MMA judging - TV a better option?

Don't like that at all - in person, up close you can tell if something lands or not. On TV you often don't realize how big a shot was until they show the replay, or you watch the fight again on video and/or see snap shots taken.

I think they can still see far more next to the fighters than they can from a TV angle.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
Don't like that at all - in person, up close you can tell if something lands or not. On TV you often don't realize how big a shot was until they show the replay, or you watch the fight again on video and/or see snap shots taken.

I think they can still see far more next to the fighters than they can from a TV angle.
Good points. What about when the fight is on the other side of the ring up against the cage tho? I never have had the judges view so I dont know how restrictive it really is/isnt. Hell I havent even been to a live mma fight.

I think it would be interesting to see if 3 judges watching the fight up close would score it the same as 3 judges in a booth. Sometimes you just have to see it for yourself, but sometimes your eyes play tricks on you.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Good points. What about when the fight is on the other side of the ring up against the cage tho? I never have had the judges view so I dont know how restrictive it really is/isnt. Hell I havent even been to a live mma fight.

I think it would be interesting to see if 3 judges watching the fight up close would score it the same as 3 judges in a booth. Sometimes you just have to see it for yourself, but sometimes your eyes play tricks on you.
that would be good to compare scores with judges using my suggestion.

personally I think you'd miss more of it live because you're not getting the best angle. I'm sure sitting right there is more 'fun'..but you're not getting all those angles and would miss shots completely...there would be many where you would have no idea if anything landed or not.

The refs often don't seem to notice or care about 'big shots' as it is now anyway.

whatever the case may be it's not working very well right now.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue

I've sat as close or closer to the cage than UFC judges do and no you don't see more from that close.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

How often do you hear commentators thinking the wrong guy was winning the fight? The problem is not where they sit, IMO. I think it has more to do with differing opinions on what each tactic is. Just like all of us fans have differing opinions on what wins a fight. Judging a fight has always been and will always be subjective and when you have subjectivity you have differing opinions. The judges get it right more often than not, IMO. I would like to see the referees get more help in the form of a replay ref, though.

"A man is called selfish, not for pursuing his own good, but for neglecting his neighbor's."
Old 03-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Maybe 1 Judge from a TV angle wouldn't be bad. Not all 3. I think I noticed one of the more recent fights I was watching the 3 judges were at different positions around the cage which is a great idea. You have to think the judges do sit cageside and have virtually as good of an angle if not better than what you see on TV. I have been to a live UFC PPV and a Strikeforce and sat at the highest price point at both events and can tell you there is definately a difference between live and TV. I think you get more emotion from live but both events I have went home and watched the video and am usually suprised at some of the things I see compared to live. Also as someone mentioned different judges value different aspects. One may judges a takedown heavily while someone else may not. My one wish over a TV reviewer would be for judges in North America to go the the system in Japan where they judge the entire fight instead of round by round. How many times do you see 1 guy probably win 2 rounds by a narrow margin just to see the guy get his butt kicked in the third round. The fight goes to the narrow guy even though that is the cat that is hurting the next day. Still maybe 3 live judges ringside and two TV judges wouldn't be a bad thing. I mean five guys can't EF it up unless the mafiaoso is in it right?
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I was watching an old youtube interview with Big John Mcarthy and it came to me as he was commenting on judging. He said, they're looking for certain things and seeing things in a certain way and looking at it from one angle...don't know why I never thought of this before but what if they were judging in a room somewhere else in the stadium watching from the TV angles?

There is no question they would see more of the action IMO. Maybe the judging would be better if they were in a room alone watching the tv angles. In fact maybe each one alone in a booth watching? That could give us better results.

having a good deal of knowledge of live sports television productions I can say it's very doable, and they wouldn't have the commentary. You could give them just the wild audio or effects audio or nothing at all if you want. It's really whatever would work the best.

thoughts?
Here is some evidence to support what you are saying: I have noticed Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg in the background during a round and they are looking at the TV monitor a lot of the time as they commentate even though they are "cage-side"......what does that tell you...

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »