Home

Rumor: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar Rematch In The Works

This is a discussion on Rumor: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar Rematch In The Works within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Rumor: BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar Rematch In The Works

Not a fan of it.

Undermines Edgar's win; and if Florian shouldn't have one because he just did, then shouldn't BJ have to work his way back up since he's just had several title fights and lost his last one?

Florian's earned another shot, and Maynard has earned one too. Florian just beat the guy Dana brought in to fight Penn, and Maynard has had a good streak. One of those two should get a shot.

Put one of those two up against them first and make Penn fight someone else to earn his shot at getting the title back.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
Not a fan of it.

Undermines Edgar's win; and if Florian shouldn't have one because he just did, then shouldn't BJ have to work his way back up since he's just had several title fights and lost his last one?

Florian's earned another shot, and Maynard has earned one too. Florian just beat the guy Dana brought in to fight Penn, and Maynard has had a good streak. One of those two should get a shot.

Put one of those two up against them first and make Penn fight someone else to earn his shot at getting the title back.
I agree that it does undermine Edgar's win. Although this could be really big for Edgar also, he's going to be considered pretty legit if he can be the lightweight to beat BJ Penn twice in a row.

UFC doesn't feel like Gray is ready for a title shot, I think a fight with Kenny Florian will prove that he's not.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

I don't like BJ getting an immediate shot either. Maybe BJ vs Maynard just to show whether Maynards ready or not and Edgar vs KenFlo for the title. If they do have BJ vs Edgar 2, they should do KenFlo vs Maynard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #12
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
it could also possibly be the main event of the August 1 Versus show in Oakland, although it's a long shot that a title fight would be carried live on basic cable.
That could be the make up Dana said he'd provide. It'd also probably get lots of people to tune in with it being a title fight.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #13

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Not a fan of it.

How has Florian earned another shot exactly? He beat Guida and Gomi, but its hard to judge the Gomi win as many fighters have come here and turned to **** in the octagon. If anyone deserves a title shot, outside of a Penn rematch, its Maynard as atleast he can say that he beat Frankie previously.

Obviously Ive got no problem with Penn getting a rematch as it was considered an extremely close fight by many, and there are more then just a few people out there that feel Penn won or at the very least it was a draw. Its not like this is the first time this has happened, Arlovski dropped his belt in a clean fight with Sylvia and had a rematch not even 3 months later. The only argument I agree with though is for Maynard, but if they give Maynard a shot then what do they do with Penn? A fight with Florian makes next to no sense so its either Maynard or Penn imo.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

MC, I don't see how this undermines Edgar's win at all. If anything, it speaks to the lack of top-tier guys in the LW Division.

You can't give the shot to anyone else, really. Florian got beat down by Penn and Maynard hasn't fought any top-level guys with the exception of Edgar (and that was over 2 years ago) so I think Penn is the only logical solution, especially since the first fight was close.

Florian-Maynard is a great No. 1 contender's match, though. Whoever wins that fight gets the winner of Penn-Edgar II.

Seeing these immediate rematches is good, although it does make me mad that Rampage didn't get an immediate rematch against Griffin after their fight. That was a super-close fight and a lot of people thought Rampage won, yet Rashad got the next shot at the belt.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
MC, I don't see how this undermines Edgar's win at all. If anything, it speaks to the lack of top-tier guys in the LW Division.

You can't give the shot to anyone else, really. Florian got beat down by Penn and Maynard hasn't fought any top-level guys with the exception of Edgar (and that was over 2 years ago) so I think Penn is the only logical solution, especially since the first fight was close.

Florian-Maynard is a great No. 1 contender's match, though. Whoever wins that fight gets the winner of Penn-Edgar II.

Seeing these immediate rematches is good, although it does make me mad that Rampage didn't get an immediate rematch against Griffin after their fight. That was a super-close fight and a lot of people thought Rampage won, yet Rashad got the next shot at the belt.
It says - congratulations, Edgar. But you didn't really do all that great and we think Penn will just beat you down as he's the the real UFC LW champ.

Hell - even GSP had to fight Hughes to get a shot at Serra again. There are other guys who deserve title shots. Don't make them wait twice as long as they should so that they can get Penn the title back so they can keep marketing him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #16
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
It says - congratulations, Edgar. But you didn't really do all that great and we think Penn will just beat you down as he's the the real UFC LW champ.

Hell - even GSP had to fight Hughes to get a shot at Serra again. There are other guys who deserve title shots. Don't make them wait twice as long as they should so that they can get Penn the title back so they can keep marketing him.
Well, that was b/c Serra was injured; GSP actually fought Koscheck, then Hughes and then Serra. Serra and Hughes were supposed to fight in Dec. after TUF but Serra had that herniated disc.

I really don't see anyone else that deserves a title shot outside of Penn. The only scenario I could go along with is Florian-Edgar and Penn-Maynard, but even then, it's hard to justify giving Kenny a shot over Penn when he was dominated in their fight. No way Maynard deserves a title shot over Penn though and I have no interest in Florian-Penn II right now.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »