Home

BJ Penn: Fedor Emelianenko is the pound-for-pound best

This is a discussion on BJ Penn: Fedor Emelianenko is the pound-for-pound best within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28
Re: BJ Penn: Fedor Emelianenko is the pound-for-pound best

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I love Fedor as much as anyone on OS but it isn't logical to go back to the "who has Brock beat" line. Also Brock is just a big a freak of nature as anyone to ever compete in MMA.

Just examining skill sets and size, as well as mixing in recent fights for both.. I would give a slight edge to Brock.

If Brock gets Fedor to the mat.. I just don't know how Fedor would survive.
MMA isn't about strength tho so I don't understand your argument. You can examine all the skill sets and size you want - if Brock slips for even a second, Fedor will make him pay. Fedor isn't a dominating fighter - he's a chess fighter.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

I never said it was all about strength.

The post I was responding to was: "if Brock got on top of Fedor, I don't see how Fedor gets up".

You posted a guy with great size, but not the same skill set as Brock in a video. While your point is taken, I was pointing out that Brock is a bit of a different fighter than Choi. When I say bit, I mean a lot.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek
MMA isn't about strength tho so I don't understand your argument.
Has something to do with it. Just ask Shane Carwin.

And Fedor:

Old 04-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #20
H*ll *f F*m*

Point taken. I personally don't see how Brock stands a chance. He has to fight an absolute gem of a fight, but anything is possible. It's not because I think Fedor will pro-actively kick his *** - I think Fedor will (like always) find the perfect opportunity.

Fedor doesn't give a **** about style points - he never has - he'll capitalize on his ability to CREATE an opportunity as oppose to going toe to toe with Brock.

That's one of the biggest principles in SAMBO. People seem to forget SAMBO is a self-defense discipline. Fedor's one of the best SAMBO tacticians on the planet...and you're wondering how he can handle being on the ground?

I hope we'll get the opportunity to see it tho.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #21
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek
Point taken. I personally don't see how Brock stands a chance. He has to fight an absolute gem of a fight, but anything is possible. It's not because I think Fedor will pro-actively kick his *** - I think Fedor will (like always) find the perfect opportunity.

Fedor doesn't give a **** about style points - he never has - he'll capitalize on his ability to CREATE an opportunity as oppose to going toe to toe with Brock.

That's one of the biggest principles in SAMBO. People seem to forget SAMBO is a self-defense discipline. Fedor's one of the best SAMBO tacticians on the planet...and you're wondering how he can handle being on the ground?

I hope we'll get the opportunity to see it tho.
I dont know enough about Brock's chin to say that he would beat Fedor because Brock really hasnt been hit with any huge shots clean. That may change against Carwin.

I dont know enough about Fedor when it comes to the ground game because he has never fought someone with Brock's wrestling skills and size. The only person who comes close is Coleman and Coleman was in his 40's during that fight. The Choi fight doesnt really count because he isnt close the level of wrestler that Brock is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Fedor's mystique has been waning a bit in my eyes.

Any of the top 4 UFC HW's would get even odds from me in a fight against Fedor.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #23
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Fedor's mystique has been waning a bit in my eyes.

Any of the top 4 UFC HW's would get even odds from me in a fight against Fedor.

You arent the only one. Also, Fedor has yet to fight a wrestler in a cage. Can you picture Brock or Carwin leaning on him for 5 rounds against the cage? I could see both of them wearing him down. I could also see him KOing both of them.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #24
H*ll *f F*m*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I dont know enough about Brock's chin to say that he would beat Fedor because Brock really hasnt been hit with any huge shots clean. That may change against Carwin.

I dont know enough about Fedor when it comes to the ground game because he has never fought someone with Brock's wrestling skills and size. The only person who comes close is Coleman and Coleman was in his 40's during that fight. The Choi fight doesnt really count because he isnt close the level of wrestler that Brock is.
Did you watch Fedor vs Mark Hunt? He got out of the Americana...twice. Granted Hunt isn't known for his ground game, but check out that fight. That's still 280 pounds on top of you.

Brock is obviously one punch away from knocking anyone out. I don't think it's a gimmie by any shot that he GnP's Fedor to win. Fedor is deadly on his back.

Last edited by Nivek; 04-15-2010 at 04:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »