Home

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva v. Chael Sonnen

This is a discussion on UFC 117 - Anderson Silva v. Chael Sonnen within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #25
Pro

CYST2000's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Not Only is Anderson Silva Fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC 117... It's the Main Even

I'm going out on a limb and saying Sonnen wins by split decision. I get the feeling Silva is close to retiring, and might just fight this one into another decision, and I don't see the judges being very kind in this one.

Last edited by CYST2000; 04-30-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Not Only is Anderson Silva Fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC 117... It's the Main Even

yes i completely agree with you
Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #27
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Dos Santos v. Roy Nelson?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19070/roy-...-main-card.mma
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #28
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Now that has the makings of a fun fight.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #29
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I'd rather see Jr. vs. Cain but, this would definitely be an interesting fight.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #30
MVP

MizzouBravesFan's Arena

OVR: 13

This was always going to be the main event...esp. with the trash talking and build up. Dana was just mad when he said those things after the Silva/Maia fight.

I'm giving Sonnen wayyyy more of a chance than some on here...his top game is ridiculous and if he gets Anderson on the ground, I think he'll give him fits. He completely dominated Marquardt on the ground and he's no slouch. Sonnen's wrestling is spectacular too so I do believe he can get Anderson to the ground. I think it's a very intriguing fight.

Remember everyone thought Penn was going to walk right through Edgar and look what happened...I think this could be similar.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #31
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I'd rather see Jr. vs. Cain but, this would definitely be an interesting fight.
We all would but that wouldn't be the smartest thing for the league.

I guess White has already said Cain is getting the winner of Shane/Brock, which is good news and bad news. Cain won't have fought for several months.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBravesFan
I'm giving Sonnen wayyyy more of a chance than some on here...his top game is ridiculous and if he gets Anderson on the ground, I think he'll give him fits. He completely dominated Marquardt on the ground and he's no slouch. Sonnen's wrestling is spectacular too so I do believe he can get Anderson to the ground. I think it's a very intriguing fight.
What is Sonnen's weakness? The guy can't finish anyone on the ground and struggles against any half-decent BJJ. He has been tapped over and over throughout his career... Maia, filho, jeremy horn x2, forrest, babalu, etc.

Silva has a tight ground game, even if he never gets to use it. Sonnen is either going to get KTFO on the feet, look foolish butt-scooting around and going 0-20 on desperation shots, or tapped just like lutter and decision dan.

I know everyone has a lot of anger and vitriol aimed at silva lately because they expect spectacular KO's but lets not fool ourselves about who Silva is as a fighter even though he is acting like a child.

People want Silva to lose, that's fair, I get it, his last three MW fights were a travesty. I suspect if they keep making him fight scrubs at MW he will continue to act like a dick though.. he should be fighting top 5 LHW's and then if he dominates (and I suspect he will) cruiser-weight HW's (~235.. fedor, couture, mir, cain, arlovski, etc.)

When there is no prospect of danger or defeat, Silva has no reason to fight to his potential and can clown around.. I suspect he will clown on sonnen just like Maia.. embarrass him for 5 rounds, pick up his check and sleep fine at night knowing its dana white and joe silva's fault that his career has stalled-out in a ****ty MW division when he should have jumped up years ago.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »