Home

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva v. Chael Sonnen

This is a discussion on UFC 117 - Anderson Silva v. Chael Sonnen within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #33

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Not Only is Anderson Silva Fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC 117... It's the Main Even

Chael is flat losing his mind these days. Hyping a fight is one thing but some of the things hes saying anymore are just plain strange. Hes now said hes going to crucify Ed Soares for some unknown reason. He said, and I quote, "Ed, pray to whatever Demon effigy you prance and dance in front of with your piglet tribe of savages that I decide not to CRUCIFY you."

Then there is the quote about the 205lb division "205 had a karate guy as their champion--that weight class is a joke."

What in the hell is this guys deal? Slamming the 205 division makes absolutely zero sense to me considering hes sure as hell not fighting there anytime soon. Im starting to think this guy has just gone bat **** crazy anymore.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #34
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Not Only is Anderson Silva Fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC 117... It's the Main Even

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Chael is flat losing his mind these days. Hyping a fight is one thing but some of the things hes saying anymore are just plain strange. Hes now said hes going to crucify Ed Soares for some unknown reason. He said, and I quote, "Ed, pray to whatever Demon effigy you prance and dance in front of with your piglet tribe of savages that I decide not to CRUCIFY you."

Then there is the quote about the 205lb division "205 had a karate guy as their champion--that weight class is a joke."

What in the hell is this guys deal? Slamming the 205 division makes absolutely zero sense to me considering hes sure as hell not fighting there anytime soon. Im starting to think this guy has just gone bat **** crazy anymore.

wow. he won a primary? why would anyone elect that crazy ***hole to a public office? but that was hilarious, the LHW division is a joke but MW is the toughest in business? maybe the toughest champion but as far as depth goes, that is just a ridiculous statement.

always thought something was a little off with him...

Last edited by feedthehorse28; 06-03-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #35
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthehorse28
wow. he won a primary? why would anyone elect that crazy ***hole to a public office? but that was hilarious, the LHW division is a joke but MW is the toughest in business. maybe the toughest champion but as far as depth goes, that is just a ridiculous statement.

always thought something was a little off with him...
LOL...the only reason he won the primary was because he ran unopposed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #36
Rookie

halltj2's Arena

OVR: 0

Like Anderson's manager said, Chael has been saying wild and crazy things for years but now people are paying attention to him because he has a match with Anderson so Chael is eating it up. I won't mind seeing either guy lose, but I'd be a fool to beat against Silva.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #37
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

The LHW div is a joke?

Am I missing something here?

For some reason I grew to like this guy over the months, after first thinking he was a joke.

I would love to see him move up and take on that Karate guy LOL
Old 06-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef

He completely disrepected Rampage and Machida along with the rest of the 205 division. At least we know he has a sense of humor with that "185 is the toughest division" comment.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 14

Part of being successful in this sport is marketing. Chael has been doing a beautiful job marketing himself recently.

As John Fitch has proven, just winning doesn't seem to guarantee you anything, especially when you're style isn't the most "fan friendly".
Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #40
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBravesFan
This was always going to be the main event...esp. with the trash talking and build up. Dana was just mad when he said those things after the Silva/Maia fight.

I'm giving Sonnen wayyyy more of a chance than some on here...his top game is ridiculous and if he gets Anderson on the ground, I think he'll give him fits. He completely dominated Marquardt on the ground and he's no slouch. Sonnen's wrestling is spectacular too so I do believe he can get Anderson to the ground. I think it's a very intriguing fight.

Remember everyone thought Penn was going to walk right through Edgar and look what happened...I think this could be similar.
I don't see it because of anderson's long limbs and wide stance. The best example of a takedown vs anderson is perfect timing of thales leites in I think the first round. It was perfect timing countering a Silva strike.

You CANNOT shoot on anderson for a double-leg takedown. Nobody's arms are long enough and it just doesn't work that way. With his very limited work-rate it's tough to time him and anticipate his strikes (something you have to do to go for a legit takedown) Another thing with anderson is you have to control him before you hit the ground, and if you managed to get a single leg, he'll be standing up before you can try to improve position.

The closer this gets the more I realize and admit I never wanted to see this fight. Even though Nate lost to both, he has a better chance vs Silva, and I'd still like to see a match vs. Gsp.

The one and only thing going for Sonnen, is after watching Silva enough I truly believe he has a stamina issue. He masks it masterfully well, but it's there. IF (big IF) someone could continuously take him down and wear on him, the 4th and 5th he will have limited gas an will be ineffective - but that's almost a non-issue because for that to matter you have to win one of the first 3 rounds anyway...if you're successful in the plan I mentioned, you're winning anyway and the 4th and 5th aren't as big of a deal.

I think it will be TKO stoppage. Chael gets rocked and Silva hits him until the ref stops it. Chael will seem like he could have kept going but noone will disagree with the stoppage. That's how I see it going down. 1st round btw.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »