Home

The problem about instant KO's

This is a discussion on The problem about instant KO's within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #25
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: The problem about instant KO's

i havent had too much of a problem with the instant KOs. I've gotten a lot of them but they were really good shots and not just some fluke thing. All of my KOs have been pretty realistic. The only thing i'd suggest is like some of you are talking about, instead of the fighting being over instantly, allow you to at least go towards the opponent and maybe throw 1 or 2 extra punches instead of everything being so instant. But for the most part i've landed great shots and the guy should have been knocked out from them.

When i was doing title mode, i was Rampage for W. Silva. It was basically a perfect recreation of Rampage's knock out over him. I was close to the cage, Silva threw a left and as i blocked his punch i countered with a left hook and knocked him out (only i could land the extra shots Rampage did). Then later on i had to fight him again and it was almost the exact same thing. Only this time i didnt throw as i blocked, it was a little bit after i blocked and then i caught him with a counter left but the first one looked like a perfect recreation of his knockout in real life. It was cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #26
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
I think this kind of leads into the bigger issue, which is that strikes are too accurate. There aren't enough missed shots and glancing blows like in real life. And this in turn leads to a bigger issue, which is the fact that the game doesn't fully replicate the use of a 3D space because you don't have enough control over your fighter's body. They put in the sway this year, but it's not dynamic enough--you're either full-on swaying, or you're not. We need analog sways that lead to more glancing blows and missed shots, which would cut striking accuracy.

In addition to sways, we should be able to control a fighter's stance. That would add a ton of variables to the striking game. Think about the extremely low stance Rashad got into in the fight with Rampage. I'd like to be able to do this in a game.
yes but its a video game, it wouldn't be a lot of fun if punches didn't land and everything was mainly blocked or missed. You guys gotta keep in mind its a game for entertainment, its not going to be 100% like real life.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #27
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
I think this kind of leads into the bigger issue, which is that strikes are too accurate. There aren't enough missed shots and glancing blows like in real life. And this in turn leads to a bigger issue, which is the fact that the game doesn't fully replicate the use of a 3D space because you don't have enough control over your fighter's body. They put in the sway this year, but it's not dynamic enough--you're either full-on swaying, or you're not. We need analog sways that lead to more glancing blows and missed shots, which would cut striking accuracy.

In addition to sways, we should be able to control a fighter's stance. That would add a ton of variables to the striking game. Think about the extremely low stance Rashad got into in the fight with Rampage. I'd like to be able to do this in a game.
I agree. The sway system is a nice idea, but needs to be refined. KOs happen in MMA, however not to the extent that we are seeing it in this game. I think part of the reason we are seeing so many is because we are able to land such quality punches on a regular basis. Rampage Jackson is known as one of the greatest punchers ever and he has only 4 KOs in his career and I know one of them was via slam. Chuck Liddell who is known as the greatest knockout puncher in UFC history has just less than half of his wins by KO.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #28
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
yes but its a video game, it wouldn't be a lot of fun if punches didn't land and everything was mainly blocked or missed. You guys gotta keep in mind its a game for entertainment, its not going to be 100% like real life.
Youre right it is a video game and people should get to land punches easily on beginner and somewhat on experinced. But on the advanced and Expert levels, there needs to be something to challenge you or else the game looses some value.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarz02
Youre right it is a video game and people should get to land punches easily on beginner and somewhat on experinced. But on the advanced and Expert levels, there needs to be something to challenge you or else the game looses some value.
It's extremely easy to land punches, I agree. I took my game back today to Gamestop. They're only giving like $32 for it, due to the $5 code thing. They just pass that profit loss onto their customers. Fortunately for me, I rarely ever sell games to Gamestop. However, I feel bad for the consumer from this point forward. If they were getting screwed before at Gamestop, it's only going to get worse. Regardless, I couldn't take all of these KO's. I still have last years game if I want to get a fix of some fun MMA action. Back onto Red Dead Redemption. THQ, I lost $30 because I decided to return your game, even though I just bought it two days ago. Please, use that $30 to make next year's game better in regards to balance and KO's.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #30
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

I should have got RDR instead...

Cool thing Ive seen is when I rocked a guy from a suplex, I was able to finish him from his back aftewards..

To bad that variety is limited do to the problem we are discussing in this thread..
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
Rookie

after playing the hell out of this game this long weekend I agree with you guys that the KO ratio sucks - but I have only experienced this discrepancy against the computer - I can't remember where you look at your stats but they are in there somewhere - against the comp. 70 % of my fights end in KO - 20 % TKO and 10% decision - the 70 % is accurate (stuck out like a sore thumb) and disheartening- the others are rough guessestimates - there are zero times I have submitted the comp on expert - but I have been submitted myself.

I played my brother all weekend and we are decent players. I checked the stats - 30% ended in KO, 20 % TKO, 30 % decision and 20% submission - the TKO should be higher than the KO but you see where Im going with this. It was much lower than against the AI because of we were more cautious and fought to our fighters strengths as opposed to all out war.

I think the AI is straight crap in this game - and that's whats leading to all these KOs, the computer just wants to trade shot for shot with power punchers and all you have to do is sit back and block then counter punch. I dont think its just the TKO/KO ratio that THQ should focus on - but a complete overhaul on how the AI reacts and constantly presses the action even when it's getting lit up.

if it were up to me - they'd A) over haul the AI B) tune down KOs and turn them into TKOs (7:1 ratio min) C) put back in or tune up flash KOs (cause Ive yet to experience a single one) - overall I still enjoy this game - I would like to see sliders too so we had some control over these aspects and everybody could be happy

Last edited by wyrm187; 06-01-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187
after playing the hell out of this game this long weekend I agree with you guys that the KO ratio sucks - but I have only experienced this discrepancy against the computer - I can't remember where you look at your stats but they are in there somewhere - against the comp. 70 % of my fights end in KO - 20 % TKO and 10% decision - the 70 % is accurate (stuck out like a sore thumb) and disheartening- the others are rough guessestimates - there are zero times I have submitted the comp on expert - but I have been submitted myself.

I played my brother all weekend and we are decent players. I checked the stats - 30% ended in KO, 20 % TKO, 30 % decision and 20% submission - the TKO should be higher than the KO but you see where Im going with this. It was much lower than against the AI because of we were more cautious and fought to our fighters strengths as opposed to all out war.

I think the AI is straight crap in this game - and that's whats leading to all these KOs, the computer just wants to trade shot for shot with power punchers and all you have to do is sit back and block then counter punch. I dont think its just the TKO/KO ratio that THQ should focus on - but a complete overhaul on how the AI reacts and constantly presses the action even when it's getting lit up.

if it were up to me - they'd A) over haul the AI B) tune down KOs and turn them into TKOs (7:1 ratio min) C) put back in or tune up flash KOs (cause Ive yet to experience a single one) - overall I still enjoy this game - I would like to see sliders too so we had some control over these aspects and everybody could be happy
That's why this problem isn't as severe online. People control the fighter so he doesn't sit and trade shot for shot like almost every fighter does in this game against the CPU. Honestly, I was beginning to enjoy online quite a bit. Unfortunately, my internet will be down soon when I move and I would have been stuck with a disappointing offline mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »