Home

Some realism ideas I'd like to see for 2011 (but won't)

This is a discussion on Some realism ideas I'd like to see for 2011 (but won't) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
Some realism ideas I'd like to see for 2011 (but won't)

I know this is just a pipe dream - but I'm thinking I'd like to see some realism with the fighters for 2011.

I was just playing with my CAF who I made as a BJJ World Champion. His submissions are second to none in the LW division and for the most part in the UFC; as well as his grappling.

So I take on Joe Lauzon who's also a good ground fighter.

My stand up stats are pretty pathetic. I put them in the 50's for the time being figuring that the point is he wants to get the fight down, and will use small shots to set them up.

Anyway - there are a few things about this. First off - Lauzon is a smart guy. He's probably not going to take a world champion BJJ fighter who's far more skilled than himself down (I subbed him 3 out of 4 matches). Couple this with my pathetic stand up, and you'd think he's play a stand up battle since his is far better than mine. This doesn't happen at all, though. Instead he just looks at his own stats and goes ahead with the takedown attempts. Now, yes - he did stand quite a bit, but he also went for the takedown a lot (which I always allowed him to do).

There's also another thing. When we clinched up, Lauzon had one goal - to pull guard. Now that's great if he thinks he can beat me on the ground, sometimes fighters don't have the best gameplans. While I would think he would have one, sometimes they just do things... Anyway - he pulled guard everytime we got in a clinch and my main problem is this: pulling guard is to get someone to the ground so that you can work on submissions or sweeps. You're pulling them down to get them on the ground because you feel you can turn it into an advantage.

However, every single time he got guard he then proceeded to try to push me off of him! Now why the hell would you get someone to the ground with yourself on the bottom only to try to push them off you again? The whole point of pulling guard is to work to turn the tables, not to stand back up. If he wanted to stand up, then push me away in the clinch or just hold on until it breaks up.

These are just two little things that bothered me with the matches I had with him.

What I'd really like to see are more stats for skills, a gameplan rating, and a tendency chart.

I'm thinking the game could use more stats to separate attacks like high kicks and low kicks, half-guard defense, half-guard offense, full guard defense (someone like Penn should be hell to pass guard on), etc. Something to really make fighters stand out more, and to make players think about where and how to fight.

Next - a gameplan rating. Something that works with a tendency chart to produce a gameplan for the AI. They should look at the player's stats and match them up and determine where they're better off, equal, and weaker. Some guys would have poor plans - some guys who really just fight their way and that's it, and others great plans... There are some guys who pick apart another fighter's style and figure out the best way to approach the fight. I'd love to see the better fighters actually take advantage of a weak ground game, a weak standup game, a weak clinch game, etc - and stay away from their opponent's strong spots.

Next I'd like to see something like the NBA games have started doing. A takedown ratio, a strike percentage, etc - something like that MMA Tycoon game has going. You can tell your fighters to ALWAYS stand up when it goes down, or to ALWAYS try to keep it on the ground, or to mix it up. This would be great. For instance, I'd love to see someone like Penn throw his jab more and use it to set up shots, or Forrest use his leg kicks, or GSP use his superman punch. On the ground, I'd like to see someone like Nog happy to work from guard and not push off constantly, or someone like Florian work towards getting someone's back, or certain wrestlers even not advance position, but try to get into a decent spot and keep it while working in ground and pound - not everyone just tries to fly to mount.

As it is - they've made a good step in trying to individualize fighters through their moves. How about a step forward in actually telling them how and when to use these moves? As it is, it seems random sometimes. They just kind of throw whatever they can from that area - or they constantly try to advance position until they're in mount.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Some realism ideas I'd like to see for 2011 (but won't)

Great post..

I agree that the ideal AI tweak for future iterations of this franchise is to make fighters 'act' realistically. It isn't enough to simply rate them appropriately if they don't act to those strengths.

They have the glossy aesthetic stuff down.. they have a strong stock of well-modeled fighters and good presentation. In an ideal world, the gameplay tweaking begins now with the superficial stuff out of the way.. but I've believed that before and got burned (looking at you, madden).

I think this game would benefit from both global tendency sliders (so casual and more hardcore fans could tweak the game to suit their playstyle) and fighter tendency styles, as you said.

It would be a thing of beauty to see tito throwing elbows from full guard without trying to advance, etc.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah all the fighters in this game have a canned AI it seems. They don't adjust to your stats at all. I too find it funny they pull guard just to kick you off them. Even more funny is seeing BJJ guys that try to stand and bang with you, but yet you have wrestlers and kickboxers take you down and they go for sub after sub like they are a BJJ black belt. And the Judo guys on here play just like wrestlers, they don't do Judo throws or Judo takedowns at all, instead they do wrestler slams and wrestler takedowns.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

was this exhibition or career. In career "game is watching you" I hope would kick it, but I'm not sure it REALLY would.

I'd like to see a bit of euphoria. They could start off small, just just having it kick in when someone's staggered, that way they will either fall or keep themselves up.

Striking accuracy. Way less extremely clean shots.

MAjor tweaks to sway system.

1-2's and jab effectiveness.

Sloppy strikes and ground transitions when tired (not just slow as nails)

The entire transition game revamped. We'll see if EA had a better idea with this, but I doubt it because it sounds the same only buttons, but the rumble feature could be interesting.

Ground defence like Dan Hardy --- he was so impossible to hit during the GSP fight on the ground because of his arm work with either blocking or wrist control.

Positions that are not so cut and dry, some quasi positions.

Rework reversals, even though I'm good at it, irl if I'm in guard I can't just end up in another guys guard by pushing him with my leg.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

They totally need to rework the ground game. I was watching WEC Wreckage last night and I seen an awesome ground game during the entire fight from a BJJ fighter and a wrestler.

It was awesome, the BJJ guy was doing awesome sweeps from the bottom to mount or sweep to side control from the bottom. I was like why the hell that sweep or any sweep for that matter isn't in this game.

THQ needs to watch a ton more of MMA matches and not just UFC fights, they need to watch some WEC fights for they can get a clue what a top level BJJ fighter can do from the bottom on the ground.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They totally need to rework the ground game. I was watching WEC Wreckage last night and I seen an awesome ground game during the entire fight from a BJJ fighter and a wrestler.

It was awesome, the BJJ guy was doing awesome sweeps from the bottom to mount or sweep to side control from the bottom. I was like why the hell that sweep or any sweep for that matter isn't in this game.

THQ needs to watch a ton more of MMA matches and not just UFC fights, they need to watch some WEC fights for they can get a clue what a top level BJJ fighter can do from the bottom on the ground.
Yeah, you could sweep from guard in '09 w/ judo and bjj guys...not so much in this game. It's either get up or hold for standup
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 25

TC good post....

All fighters are just generic AI punching bags IMO....That "adaptive AI" really panned out huh?

Unless THQ rethinks their ENTIRE design, I just see UFC fizzling out into obscurity unless someone else picks it up or the UFC itself pulls out. But i think thier under contract for a few more years though.

If they continue on their current ARCADE path...I dont see too many people actually coming back.

Its just puzzling and upsetting how a game pulls such an extreme 180 and goes for HUGE m,ust have yearly title to a generic arcade brawler aimed at casuals....

Big letdown for me and A-lot of others.....

Last edited by SA1NT401; 06-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Yes, also stats should be lowered for certain fighters. Lower sub defense, takedown defense etc. I would also like to see every ufc fighter included, but thats just me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »