Home

Supremacy MMA Preview and Interview (IGN, Edge)

This is a discussion on Supremacy MMA Preview and Interview (IGN, Edge) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14
Supremacy MMA Preview and Interview (IGN, Edge)

IGN has posted their preview of Supremacy MMA.

Quote:
"Kung Fu Factory isn't exactly a huge name in the world of videogame developers. They've worked with a long list of companies including EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Radical, Treyarch, and Sony to name just a few. Their portfolio of work includes a few Mortal Kombat titles, the original UFC game on Dreamcast and a largely unheralded role in making THQ's UFC Undisputed 2009 into the game that so many people enjoyed (the team did thousands of the animations that you see in the game).

Now, for the very first time in its history, Kung Fu Factory is creating a wholly original fighting game in the uber-popular Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) realm in the form of something called Supremacy MMA."

Edge has posted an interview with creative director Ricci Rukavina and executive producer Daryl Pitts to find out how they plan to gain a competitive edge over their big name rivals.

Quote:
Edge: "You’re working on a new MMA game. Can you sum up what it’s all about?"

Ricci Rukavina: "We’ve recognised that it’s a pretty interesting market because there aren’t a lot of these types of games out there, it’s really just UFC 2009 and now UFC 2010, so there’s a great opportunity for a team that has the experience and the passion to get into the space. For us, we knew exactly what we wanted to do, which was [to move] away from the simulation of the sport, which is what you can watch on TV or play in games right now. We want to offer more fast action and be much truer to how the sport actually originated over here back in the day and recognise the history of this no-holds-barred fighting. So we’re definitely going out there fists ready with a more brutal take on mixed martial arts and also showing a really big appreciation for the mixture of fighting styles."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: E3 2010: Supremacy MMA Hopes to Challenge the Champ (IGN)

I"m totally down to try this out (after reading the article but under certain conditions).

Maybe these guys were the 'it' factor that made '09 great, and missing from '10 making it 'not so it'.

Great find btw.

I'm interested though about arcade vs simulation the developers are going for, or like people recently said about backbreaker 'simcade'.

I won't go for a pure arcade game though. If it's like a rapper fighting games, I'm out.

I'm totally in if they are actually competing with EA and THQ.

This almost sounds like the backbreaker of MMA. But speaking of BB,...I would love it if someone in combats sports stepped up and used euphoria in their game.

So...from what little we have it sounds interesting. I like the seedy 'underworld' aspect. Imagine some loser swearing at you online and you just snap his neck while the crowd goes wild! lol.

I hope from now until release we get more info and such and it doesn't become shrouded in secrecy.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think they have an excellent chance of putting out a good product. Especially if they are going to cater to the "sim" gamers with a legit indepth career mode.

Followed by the fact they aren't held back by any licenses, that could actually work in great favor for a career mode.

The arm breaking and such, sure that is nice. Its a part of what happens but I don't want to see every fight end like this. Yet knowing that stuff like this COULD happen during a match, that is legit.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Doesn't sound very sim to me. I'd perfer something that admits it's arcade as opposed to something that's trying to be sim but is really arcade.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Doesn't sound very sim to me. I'd perfer something that admits it's arcade as opposed to something that's trying to be sim but is really arcade.
I hear you, but think it could be cool if it's "sim" in the way it plays, but has more fantastical finishes lol. I'm down with simcade too, just not straight arcade, like those def jam games...if it's anything like that forget it.

If it "sims" a fake gritty underworld that's MMA but like acient rome in terms of it being 'to the death' or almost I think that could be cool. ...We've already go the UFC and EA's game coming, so I'm not opposed to something a little off-the-wall.

I can't remember, but what if there are no rounds or ref's? Then it would be until someone is ko'd, chocked out, dies, or has a vicious bone break.

I have actually wondered what fights would look like in the UFC NOW but with UFC 1 rules...? No gloves, no rounds, whatever clothing you feel comfortable in, but with these newer well-rounded athletes. It would change fights that's for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: Supremacy MMA Preview and Interview (IGN, Edge)

I'm imagining something like the Fight Club game but much better done. I kinda liked that game. It wasn't a technical masterpiece and there only 3 movesets but it was still fun to see what was possible,I think this will have at least that same appeal to see what's possible.

This comment from the Edge interview is certianly intresting:

Quote:
I wasn’t aware that someone other than Yuke’s had been developing UFC 2009. Could you explain what Kung Fu Factory’s contributed to the game?

Rukavina: We worked on the game, provided a bunch of support and we were credited on it.

Pitts: We can’t really go into too many details because of our agreement with THQ, but I can say that it was one of the most challenging projects we’ve ever worked on as a company. We spent many late nights with the team at Yuke’s and we created thousands of animations, especially to help their ground game and their clinch game come to life, and that’s about the extent that we can talk about that. I can’t go into more detail except to say that we provided lots and lots of animation support for that project.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Sounds like Blitz:The League for MMA.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Looking forward to trying this out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »