Home

So Ummm... Jake Shields Was Released...

This is a discussion on So Ummm... Jake Shields Was Released... within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: So Ummm... Jake Shields Was Released...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
True, good point. I would have liked to seen Shields to finish Hendo too, I wasn't necessarily talking about you underrating Shields, it's the MMA community in general that seems to do it.
Yea, he would be more suited at ww especially in the UFC. I can understand why he didnt at Strikeforce, but Anderson Silva when he tries finishes his fights, Marquardt, Belfort, etc. WW is full of boring wrestlers, not calling Shields boring though.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 25

Shields....Good god he isnt worth a slot in the UFC honestly....
Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Im not saying that at all. He took Hendo down, who is a great wrestler, but he couldnt finish him after getting mount a lot.
This isn't UFC the videogame, getting mount isn't a guaranteed win. You're not impressed with the fact that Shields basically dominated one of the best fighters in the sport?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #20
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
This isn't UFC the videogame, getting mount isn't a guaranteed win. You're not impressed with the fact that Shields basically dominated one of the best fighters in the sport?
If you give Maia the mount on Hendo, I guarantee you he finishes that fight. Him being able to take down Hendo and control him is impressive but not terribly awe-inspiring since Dan isn't know for doing anything off his back. But in order for me to consider him one of the ELITE, top-level guys I would've liked to see a finish, especially after the beating he took in the first two rounds.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #21
Rookie

Deadeye15's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Shields....Good god he isnt worth a slot in the UFC honestly....
I hope this is an attempt at sarcasm. If not I'd like to hear your reasoning behind this. 25-4-1 and hasn't lost in 6 years doesn't deserve a slot in the UFC?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthehorse28
If you give Maia the mount on Hendo, I guarantee you he finishes that fight. Him being able to take down Hendo and control him is impressive but not terribly awe-inspiring since Dan isn't know for doing anything off his back. But in order for me to consider him one of the ELITE, top-level guys I would've liked to see a finish, especially after the beating he took in the first two rounds.
The guy just dominated arguably the #2 ranked MW in the world at the time and one of the best fighters the sport has ever seen and he isn't even as good as demian maia?

The UFC bias in this forum is getting ridiculous .
Old 07-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
The guy just dominated arguably the #2 ranked MW in the world at the time and one of the best fighters the sport has ever seen and he isn't even as good as demian maia?

The Anti-UFC bias in this forum is getting rediculous too lol

I disagree with that guy though, Jake Shields is awesome and I'll be very happy to see him come to the UFC.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

It's not a bias, I'm just being a realist. I haven't seen the guy against UFC competition and it's pretty obvious to me that the best fighters in the world fight in the UFC.

Yeah there are some guys that are definitely good fighters (Shields, Fedor, Alvares, Aoki, Overeem, Melendez, Souza) that don't fight in the UFC, but if they truly want to test their skills and see how they stack up as far being the best in the world that's where they need to be. Hendo was a good win for him and I will be more than willing to eat my own words if Shields runs through the MW division in the UFC, but from what I've seen from the guy I haven't been that impressed. Not saying he's not good, but I don't think that guy gets a UFC title.

And as far being as good as Maia on the ground, I just don't see that. IF there is anyone who can compete with Maia in BJJ it's Souza and the last time I checked he wasn't fighting in the UFC. So there's no bias there. It's got nothing to do with me not wanting to see Shields in the UFC, it's always good to have another solid fighter to add depth. But I just don't think he lives up to the hype. We'll see what happens though...

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »