Home

Four Things EA Sports MMA Must Do To Compete With UFC

This is a discussion on Four Things EA Sports MMA Must Do To Compete With UFC within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Four Things EA Sports MMA Must Do To Compete With UFC

UFC Undisputed 2009 took the sports gaming nation by storm. The follow-up product in 2010 was a little less than spectacular, but it is still serving its purpose as one of the best fighting games known to date.

Now everyone's favorite monopolizer wants to join in on the fun. So EA Sports is coming to the fight with EA MMA. Will it be able to trump Undisputed's two-year reign, or will it fail to meet expectations? Here are a few things that would certainly help EA MMA's cause.

Read More - Four Things EA Sports MMA Must do to Compete with UFC
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Rookie

geezmeister's Arena

OVR: 18
The one thing I hate about undisputed is the chess match feel. You punch I punch you kick then my turn. If I time it right I may be able to get a takedown. Boooo. What I like about the ea videos is the game seems to capture the controlled chaos in the ring better. If you know what I mean. Punches are being thrown fighters are holding wrist and pushing on heads. And when on the ground it seems as if there is a quicker pace so that the ground game can stay fresh and rewarding each time. We will see. While I think undisputed is fun. I'm pulling for EA MMA to dominate
Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Four Things EA Sports MMA Must Do To Compete With UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezmeister
The one thing I hate about undisputed is the chess match feel. You punch I punch you kick then my turn. If I time it right I may be able to get a takedown. Boooo. What I like about the ea videos is the game seems to capture the controlled chaos in the ring better. If you know what I mean. Punches are being thrown fighters are holding wrist and pushing on heads. And when on the ground it seems as if there is a quicker pace so that the ground game can stay fresh and rewarding each time. We will see. While I think undisputed is fun. I'm pulling for EA MMA to dominate
I hope this game is good as well, but from the gameplay video, it looks a little unrealistic standup wise to me. But it is quicker pace which is cool
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Rookie

SgtDillznick's Arena

OVR: 3

In regards to career mode, I realize that EA MMA will not do it this way, but both EA MMA and Undisputed could learn a thing or two from the PSP's Boxer's Road 2.

Training for a fight is so much more than hitting the gym and practicing technique or sparring with a generic opponent. The game needs to involve proper dieting and cardio workouts. Do you bulk up to match the size of Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin in order to stand and bang? Or, do you trim down and work on wrestling and jiu-jitsu and boost your cardio in order to out-work and out-class these guys on the ground?

In essence, the training before each fight should be like going through the off-season in a game like Madden or MLB The Show. Each fight should bring a new challenge that must be properly prepared for in order to come out with the win. For those who want to rush into each and every career fight, have an auto-train mode for them to skip right through the process and get to the action.

See, everyone is happy now.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDillznick
In regards to career mode, I realize that EA MMA will not do it this way, but both EA MMA and Undisputed could learn a thing or two from the PSP's Boxer's Road 2.

Training for a fight is so much more than hitting the gym and practicing technique or sparring with a generic opponent. The game needs to involve proper dieting and cardio workouts. Do you bulk up to match the size of Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin in order to stand and bang? Or, do you trim down and work on wrestling and jiu-jitsu and boost your cardio in order to out-work and out-class these guys on the ground?

In essence, the training before each fight should be like going through the off-season in a game like Madden or MLB The Show. Each fight should bring a new challenge that must be properly prepared for in order to come out with the win. For those who want to rush into each and every career fight, have an auto-train mode for them to skip right through the process and get to the action.

See, everyone is happy now.
Havent played that psp game before. I have some career mode suggestions that i will put down when i get the chance to, but im lazy lol.
I completely agree with you about that, I think it would be huge to have weight and dieting issues. Maybe you have to go to sauna before weigh ins and if you need to cut to much weight, you will be drained and look drained ie James Irvin from UFC on Versus 1.
I also would love it if you had to make weight, and if you didnt, it becomes a nc or catchweight and you lose part of your purse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7
People who complained about the ground game in UFC will complain about the striking in EA MMA.

They essentially flipped control schemes. So for striking in UFC it was buttons, but in EA MMA it will be TPC from Fight Night, while the ground game in EA MMA will be buttons.

It's essentially the same game.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijahn
People who complained about the ground game in UFC will complain about the striking in EA MMA.

They essentially flipped control schemes. So for striking in UFC it was buttons, but in EA MMA it will be TPC from Fight Night, while the ground game in EA MMA will be buttons.

It's essentially the same game.
I love FNR4, but thats boxing not mma. I think people might be able to spam takedowns if you have to use right analog stick for punchin.g
Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5
EA could give UFC a massive punch in the mouth if they have an extensive create a fighter mode which allows people to upload their fighters for others to DL, like they do in Fight Night. Not only be able to allow players to upload their creations for others to DL but also have the option for the creators to allow those DLing their fighters to edit them, which was a MAJOR fumble THQ made with that last wrestling game.

As far as assigning attribute points, well have all attributes set to a base number of say, 55-60, so they arent overly weak and allow those downloading them to either be able to earn more attribute points by winning fights online or maybe taking them through a somewhat shortened career mode.

The ability for the community to be able to create and keep the game fresh will give this a long shelf life as well as giving them an upper hand against THQ and UFC as this game certainly will NOT need a yearly update. I was still playing The Show 09 thanks to Knights rosters until the day I bought The Show 10.

It should also be noted that I stopped playing UFC 2010 about a month ago due to boring career mode, lame CAF, largely unrealistic gameplay(HWs can throw power punches one after the other without any effect at all on overall stamina) and horrible online. I dont even mind spammers online because they can easily be defeated once you figure out what they are doing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »