Home

"Rampage" Jackson verbally agrees to face Lyoto Machida at Nov. 20 UFC event

This is a discussion on "Rampage" Jackson verbally agrees to face Lyoto Machida at Nov. 20 UFC event within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30
"Rampage" Jackson verbally agrees to face Lyoto Machida at Nov. 20 UFC event

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19996/ramp...-ufc-event.mma
Should be a great fight if it comes to fruition. Should be stand up war, and can't wait to see who falls first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: "Rampage" Jackson verbally agrees to face Lyoto Machida at Nov. 20 UFC event

I'm glad Jackson agreed to this. For a while there it looked as if NO ONE was going to take a fight against Machida.

It will be interesting to see what kind of strategy Jackson will bring to this fight, and if we'll see the same or a more well rounded Machida.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Re: "Rampage" Jackson verbally agrees to face Lyoto Machida at Nov. 20 UFC event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
I'm glad Jackson agreed to this. For a while there it looked as if NO ONE was going to take a fight against Machida.

It will be interesting to see what kind of strategy Jackson will bring to this fight, and if we'll see the same or a more well rounded Machida.
If he ever checks kicks, he could be a huge force. Forrest tore his legs up and he didnt check kicks. I still don't know why everyone is saying rampage will get knocked out though. I think rampage has a better chin than Machida, plus more power in hands.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
If he ever checks kicks, he could be a huge force. Forrest tore his legs up and he didnt check kicks. I still don't know why everyone is saying rampage will get knocked out though. I think rampage has a better chin than Machida, plus more power in hands.
I don't really believe in the whole "chin" thing, but like I said in the Rampage vs Rashad topic fighting isn't like UFC the videogame where two guys trade punches until the someone falls. Machida is so effective because of his elusiveness, he strikes with precision and rarely ever gets hit.

Rampage throws with a lot of power but at the same time he has to actually connect to hurt you. The reason Forrest, Jardine, and Evans did so well against him is because he is kind of predictable with his stand-up, he's pretty much looking to counter with one of those short hooks.

If Rampage goes in to the fight the same Rampage we've seen since the Griffin fight then I think its going to be a very tough night for him.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

As much as I like Rampage, this is a terrible match up for him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
I don't really believe in the whole "chin" thing, but like I said in the Rampage vs Rashad topic fighting isn't like UFC the videogame where two guys trade punches until the someone falls. Machida is so effective because of his elusiveness, he strikes with precision and rarely ever gets hit.

Rampage throws with a lot of power but at the same time he has to actually connect to hurt you. The reason Forrest, Jardine, and Evans did so well against him is because he is kind of predictable with his stand-up, he's pretty much looking to counter with one of those short hooks.

If Rampage goes in to the fight the same Rampage we've seen since the Griffin fight then I think its going to be a very tough night for him.
Your totally right, but he dropped all three of those names you said. And both of these fighters love to stand, that is why im saying this. And if you dont believe in "chin" look at Chris Leben.
Machida is a great fighter, but if rampage fully commits i see him winning.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj721
As much as I like Rampage, this is a terrible match up for him.
Maybe, but it only takes one punch for either of em.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

As for the whole chin argument, I find myself somewhere in the middle. Anyone can be knocked out with a well-placed punch (ask Todd Duffee), but for some guys it seems like they have a smaller window or at least a higher tolerance to eat some shots. I mean it can't all be based on luck, I've seen guys like Leben, Rampage and Hendo munch on some fists and then guys like Liddell get dropped with relative ease.

There has to be some sort of variable we see that separates those two classes of fighters. Call it chin, call it luck, call it whatever you want, but there has to be a reason that some guys can go their whole career taking big shots and never getting knocked out and others catch pillow punches and go to sleep.

Sorry to bring this whole debate back up, but I never got to put in my two cents the first go-around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »