Home

Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117...

This is a discussion on Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117... within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
MVP

MizzouBravesFan's Arena

OVR: 13
Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/CSA...-UFC-117-26978

Quote:
According to California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer George Dodd, Chael Sonnen has been notified that he failed post-fight drug screening following his loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 117, which was held Aug. 7 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

“[Sonnen] received his notice yesterday,” Dodd told Sherdog.com shortly after the Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora boxing match ended Saturday night in Los Angeles.

In a conversation the day before, Dodd declined to comment on the situation, other than answering that all fighters from UFC 117 had passed drugs-of-abuse scans, but that the commission was still waiting on performance-enhancing drug screens from the event.

Dodd did not state which banned substance was red-flagged, but with a clean drugs-of-abuse scan it is clear the positive test was for a performance-enhancing substance.

The last major UFC banned-substance case in the state centered on UFC 73’s lightweight title match, which saw both competitors -- Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca -- test positive for PEDs. Both fighters were suspended for one year and fined, though Sherk appealed and had his suspension shortened to six months.

Sonnen is staring at a long layoff if he elects not to appeal or is denied. He was scheduled to rematch Silva Feb. 6 in Las Vegas, but that fight may be delayed or scrapped in light of these allegations.

Text messages to Sonnen went unreturned.

His manager Matt Lindland told Sherdog.com that he was cornering a fighter on the East Coast and had no knowledge of the positive test results.

Silva’s manager Ed Soares, who engaged in some heated exchanges via the media in the build up to the fight, was stunned when asked for his reaction.

“If it’s true, I feel really bad for him,” said Soares. “I know he did it to himself but it is really sad, he put on such a great performance that night. It is just a shame it will be tarnished.”
Must say I'm pretty surprised...there goes his rematch lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Sonnen tests positive for PEDs at UFC 117...

Just saw this myself... A shame. That triangle choke by Silva with two minutes left saved the UFC from having to do a lot of PR.

The truth of the matter is, more that 50% of the fighters are using some form of PED. Sonnen just got caught... Kind of like that triangle choke.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16

These things crack me up...of course he cheated...every elite fighter from Lesnar to Klitschko engages in some sort of cheating...the playing field in fight game is level.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

tsk tsk tsk tsk. There goes his lime light. Pretty damn hard to get back up in the rankings and on the main card of fights after a year suspension. Look what happened to Stephen Bonnar, Franca, Sherk.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
tsk tsk tsk tsk. There goes his lime light. Pretty damn hard to get back up in the rankings and on the main card of fights after a year suspension. Look what happened to Stephen Bonnar, Franca, Sherk.
Sean Sherk fought for the title in his first fight back from his suspension.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
Just saw this myself... A shame. That triangle choke by Silva with two minutes left saved the UFC from having to do a lot of PR.

The truth of the matter is, more that 50% of the fighters are using some form of PED. Sonnen just got caught... Kind of like that triangle choke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
These things crack me up...of course he cheated...every elite fighter from Lesnar to Klitschko engages in some sort of cheating...the playing field in fight game is level.
Maybe I'm not following, but doesn't the UFC test every fighter after every event just like Sonnen was tested for 117?

If that's the case, how would 50% of fighters use banned substances?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Maybe I'm not following, but doesn't the UFC test every fighter after every event just like Sonnen was tested for 117?

If that's the case, how would 50% of fighters use banned substances?
Because they know how to do it properly. If they know when they are going to get tested all they have to do is cycle off the roids and get them out of their system in time for the test.

Sonnen obviously miscalculated.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

I'd like to see the UFC drug test cycle/process. Saying half the fighters are on PED's seems like an exaggeration, but maybe I'm just naive.

Either way, I hope this leads to Spider getting out of that division.

How many more fights does he have at that weight? I'm assuming he'll face winner of Vitor/Okami. If Spider wins that, I would pray he move up to LHW.

Sonnen will have a lot of work to do to rebuild his name.

I wonder what type of punishment he'll face

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »