Home

EA Sports MMA Video: Jacare vs. Miller (Creative Director Vs. Lead Tester)

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Video: Jacare vs. Miller (Creative Director Vs. Lead Tester) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: EA Sports MMA Video: Jacare vs. Miller (Creative Director Vs. Lead Tester)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrapp
This game looks like a lot of fun, and i can't wait to get it, but i wonder why so many people are taking shots at ufc undisputed 2010. I own that game and i have to say that while it has problems, it does a lot of aspects of mma very well. The game is a big improvement from 2009, and has a big time amount of depth (especially in the grappling department).
I bought UFC 2009 on release day. I played it literally every night for close to a year. It was in my top 3 all time favorite games.

Fast forward till UFC 2010. It is straight garbage. Let me explain
1) Online is a broken mess. Fights drop all the time, the match making is horrible, even when you find a opponent it will be a lag fest.

2) Fight camps has not worked since day 1

3) The game play of 09 which was very balanced was ruined in 2010. The striking is a great deal worse in 10. You can't link together quick combos such as jab,jab, straight. Because power hooks and such are faster.

4) Ground game is a utter mess. 3 transition attempts = success is STUPID. I am firmly convinced the game does nothing with the ratings. You can take a fighter and make his ground skill the lowest at a 1! You will still pass dominate BJJ guys and reverse them at will.

5) The automatic transition block is a great idea in theory. But where it fails is that the stamina in ufc10 is not done correctly. SO you have guys who will literally lay on you and punch you 400 times just massing the punch button for the entire fight. They don't slow down, stamina does not decrease, power of shots don't weaken. Yea thats real

I just wanted to answer the question. There is other things wrong that have been talked about here. But I wanted to get back on topic.

1 MORE DAY!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Phobia; 09-27-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I bought UFC 2009 on release day. I played it literally every night for close to a year. It was in my top 3 all time favorite games.

Fast forward till UFC 2010. It is straight garbage. Let me explain
1) Online is a broken mess. Fights drop all the time, the match making is horrible, even when you find a opponent it will be a lag fest.

2) Fight camps has not worked since day 1

3) The game play of 09 which was very balanced was ruined in 2010. The striking is a great deal worse in 10. You can't link together quick combos such as jab,jab, straight. Because power hooks and such are faster.

4) Ground game is a utter mess. 3 transition attempts = success is STUPID. I am firmly convinced the game does nothing with the ratings. You can take a fighter and make his ground skill the lowest at a 1! You will still pass dominate BJJ guys and reverse them at will.

5) The automatic transition block is a great idea in theory. But where it fails is that the stamina in ufc10 is not done correctly. SO you have guys who will literally lay on you and punch you 400 times just massing the punch button for the entire fight. They don't slow down, stamina does not decrease, power of shots don't weaken. Yea thats real

I just wanted to answer the question. There is other things wrong that have been talked about here. But I wanted to get back on topic.

1 MORE DAY!!!!!!!!

I agree that the online portion of the game sucks, but some of the other stuff like automatic transitions after 3 attempts, not being able to string together combos, and the ratings not mattering i really don't believe are true, and i play this game a lot. Anyway, I really look forward to this demo (even though I'm buying this game day one anyway lol) because EA sports mma looks it has a lot good things going for it.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #43
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
that's good to know. For single player that's great, I'm not crazy about online opponents knowing my stamina level by looking at a bar though.
The same reasoning applies doesn't it? A fighter can tell if his oppoent is tired. Just watching as fans we can tell most of the time.

I was gonna ask something about leg kicks but can't remember...oh right...are there any accidental low blows on inside leg kicks?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
The same reasoning applies doesn't it? A fighter can tell if his oppoent is tired. Just watching as fans we can tell most of the time.

I was gonna ask something about leg kicks but can't remember...oh right...are there any accidental low blows on inside leg kicks?
Good idea. I doubt it but that would be a nice touch. Something to consider when using someone who likes to throw a lot of kicks. Only problem is that you hamper one style of MMA yet all the others have no negatives that could cost them a fight.

I don't think there is a way in the video game world to make it happen and it be fair.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #45
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Yeah, it's like when a fighter knows his opponent is gassed and goes for a sub or something...you can't really tell that well just by looking at the game, because part of it is just that innate sense of being an athlete and reading your opponent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #46
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Good idea. I doubt it but that would be a nice touch. Something to consider when using someone who likes to throw a lot of kicks. Only problem is that you hamper one style of MMA yet all the others have no negatives that could cost them a fight.

I don't think there is a way in the video game world to make it happen and it be fair.
Eye pokes for boxing and fence grabbing for wrestling?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #47
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh

not really imo...you can guess. "make 'em think you're weak when you're strong".

I never played with bars on in ufc '09, because of that my eyes were kept on the action and in my brain I'd estimate if opponent was over-exerting himself and at times quickly go for a sub.

next-gen (this gen...we don't need bars)
Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #48
EA Sports MMA Animation Director

Anim8or's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

It's funny, we had this and slipping on kicks in at one point. The fact was that it was punishing people when they didn't feel like they did anything wrong, so we started to figure out mechanics for it (make it a risk for some other reward).

e.g. low stamina AND trying to kick AND sucking at head kicks or low kick skill - and in the end it was still really frustrating when they happened.

In the end, after a huge public playtest one day Barnes just asked that we pull them, there was never a time where we felt like it contributed to the game being more fun (and we had a rule about "no dangling features" meaning we didn't want features there just "because" even though no one liked them).

We know they occasionally happen in real life but every time it happened in the game BOTH guys just didn't like it. Someone would go on a rant about it being "Bu## S#*%" (sometimes the guy who was kicked) so we just decided it wasn't worth frustrating and punishing people (mainly just being tired and feeling your speed decrease felt like a punishment enough, and now we are ALSO punishing you for doing something that is almost a defensive move)

Anyway, we are open to suggestions on where you would fit it (keep in mind.. NOTHING is random in this game, and we definitely want to keep that). We brainstormed on several occasions and it just felt like we were forcing it in.
Electronic Arts Tiburon
-------------------------------------------

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »