Home

UFC and WEC Merging!!!

This is a discussion on UFC and WEC Merging!!! within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #33
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: UFC and WEC Merging!!!

Another thing you got to look at, I bet half of those WEC fighters get let go too. Dana don't want everybody in WEC because not all of them are UFC worthy. The ones he really wanted was Faber, Ben Henderson, Aldo, Cowboy Cieronne, and maybe 6 others, but that is about it.

The rest of the WEC fighters aren't UFC worthy.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Dana White has a major announcement to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I meant "less free fights". I even refrenced there would be more fights in the first paragraph.

I just dont see the negative either way. If what you predict is correct this equals better UFC PPVs. For example say Aldo fights Jan 1, that makes a card I wasnt planning to buy a must buy. Or if he fights Super Bowl Wknd, that makes a packed card even better.

Aldo and Faber are both stars but they arent headlining PPV stars yet. The one WEC PPV card with them in the main event did well for WEC standards but would have been a flop if it was a UFC card.

Also, the UFC makes money on the "free" shows. They get a ton of ad revenue from Spike and Versus. They need fighters to push those cards so I dont forsee Dominick Cruz, Torres or Faber always being regulated to PPV cards.
Definitely, but they always stand to make more money on PPVs. There will be a lot of free cards on the way, but it'll no longer be the likes of Aldo vs Gamb.
These guys won't be headlining anytime soon, but there's no doubt they'll want to build them into PPV stars. We'll see what happens, hopefully it's a nice tradeoff. We'll definitely be getting better PPV cards from top to bottom, but again no more stacked WEC cards on versus for free is the other side to that.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #35
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Another thing you got to look at, I bet half of those WEC fighters get let go too. Dana don't want everybody in WEC because not all of them are UFC worthy. The ones he really wanted was Faber, Ben Henderson, Aldo, Cowboy Cieronne, and maybe 6 others, but that is about it.

Nah. You have to keep those fighters if you want to keep the bantamweight and featherweight divisions full. Also in those divisions, the WEC was the UFC. the WEC was the biggest promotion in the US for those weight classes.

Now they may cut some of the lightweight guys just because there already is a lightweight division.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #36
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Dana White has a major announcement to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
Definitely, but they always stand to make more money on PPVs. There will be a lot of free cards on the way, but it'll no longer be the likes of Aldo vs Gamb.
These guys won't be headlining anytime soon, but there's no doubt they'll want to build them into PPV stars. We'll see what happens, hopefully it's a nice tradeoff. We'll definitely be getting better PPV cards from top to bottom, but again no more stacked WEC cards on versus for free is the other side to that.

I see your point. I think it will be a decent mix.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #37
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Ummmmmmm.........well that kind of sucks for Ben Henderson.......wasn't he their ww Champ ? Which means now he will have to fight GSP for a unification fight sometime down the road ?
Henderson is their LW champ, who defends the title in december. Dana said the winner of that fight will then get a shot at the winner of Edgar/Maynard for the UFC title.

not really a unification, but a promised title shot.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #38
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Meh who really cares if they have to let some lightweights go?

It really didn't make sense for the two leagues to be separate to begin with.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #39
Pro

If Dana is serious about taking this worldwide and eventually running 2 different shows on the same night he's going to need a deep roster. So keep in mind that some of the markets they're trying to break into enjoy the smaller fighters and a lot of the WEC guys are on cheap contracts.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #40
Pro

Quote:
Not true at all, for this fact pointed out by carrabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
This is awesome since WEC cards have been way more entertaining than UFC ones recently. No doubt.
I can't remember the last time I've been disappointed with a WEC card, the UFC on the other hand it happens fairly often. The WEC has a roster full of talented, and extremely technical fighters who put on amazing shows. That alone makes them UFC worthy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »