Home

UFC and WEC Merging!!!

This is a discussion on UFC and WEC Merging!!! within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: UFC and WEC Merging!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I for one would love to see Nate Diaz drop down to featherweight. I think his frame is better suited for that division. He really isn't strong like his brother is and he gets pushed around in lightweight and welterweight.

Featherweight might be a good division for Joe Stevenson too, along with Gomi.
Diaz doesn't even like the cut to 155. There is no way he drops to 145. Stevenson is also one of the bigger LW's out there. He was nearly 200 at one point on TUF. He is in better shape now but I bet he still walks around at atleast 180. I don't see him ever dropping to BW either.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #58
Rookie

H8ff0000's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
I'm thinking it results it much better fight nights (even if there was less) and co-main events on PPV. Should also mean there won't be a PPV without a title fight now barring injuries. Unless they just want to leave them off the UK shows.
If the major network deal, which has been strongly rumored to start next year, actually comes to fruition, then I would expect to see a good mix of these WEC guys fighting on there. A big reason for the network deal is to attract a wider audience, people that don't know most if not all of even the big name UFC fighters. Name recognition won't mean anything. What will matter is results. Excitement. Intensity. These guys bring that in spades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
Diaz doesn't even like the cut to 155. There is no way he drops to 145. Stevenson is also one of the bigger LW's out there. He was nearly 200 at one point on TUF. He is in better shape now but I bet he still walks around at atleast 180. I don't see him ever dropping to BW either.
Agreed.

I could be wrong about some of these, but some guys who could possibly drop down: Mark Bocek, Mac Danzig, Rafael Dos Anjos, Frankie Edgar, Spencer Fisher, Clay Guida, Ross Pearson, Kurt Pellegrino, BJ Penn, Thiago Tavares

Last edited by H8ff0000; 10-29-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #59
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I think the comment of less fights (events) could be somewhat true...

Would we expect to see the same number of ufc cards as previous ufc + wec cards combined? I imagine it would be a bit less.

I don't really care to see 135 and south...absolutely not 125 - I'm the same way with boxing fo the most part, and I don'tcare to see women either.

So in that sense, I bet some cards I will like more than others simply because of that fact.

Overall I think and hope it won't change things too much, and I think the best part is having those high level lightweights fight other high level lightweights. I've always liked watching cerrone and henderson as well so it will be cool to see those guys fight the ufc's top shelf.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #60
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

As someone who doesn't follow the WEC, I'm interested to see how often we see "WEC" fighters headline or co-headline PPV's. A large majority of UFC fans probably have no idea who any of the WEC guys are.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #61
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy
As someone who doesn't follow the WEC, I'm interested to see how often we see "WEC" fighters headline or co-headline PPV's. A large majority of UFC fans probably have no idea who any of the WEC guys are.
If they continue building him up and he doesn't lose the title, Aldo will eventually be able to headline a PPV. Faber is probably to only other guy who would be able to co-headline one.

If Faber beats Mizugaki I think it would be a good idea to do a featherweight/bantamweight TUF with Faber and Cruz as the coaches. Introduces fans to these guys and plus we probably get the best TUF season in a while in terms of talent because there actually may be some prospects to get on the show, unlike the guys TUF gets in now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
If they continue building him up and he doesn't lose the title, Aldo will eventually be able to headline a PPV. Faber is probably to only other guy who would be able to co-headline one.

If Faber beats Mizugaki I think it would be a good idea to do a featherweight/bantamweight TUF with Faber and Cruz as the coaches. Introduces fans to these guys and plus we probably get the best TUF season in a while in terms of talent because there actually may be some prospects to get on the show, unlike the guys TUF gets in now.

only issue with the TUF idea is usually the coaches are not in the same weight classes as the fighters on the show but I definitely think the next TUF will be with Featherweight/Bantamweight fighters or the 1 after.

this is big news for me and I can't wait to see some of the WEC guys in the UFC, I only wish instead of putting Grispi into the title fight with Aldo on Jan 1 they would have found a UFC vet that would drop to 145 and fight for the title. and then if Grispi beat his scheduled opponent in Koch that he would then be the next challanger but I guess it's still a good fight

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »