Home

UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami

This is a discussion on UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Isn't this the same night as Pacquiao vs Margarito?
Yep. Dana did the same thing last yr. He ran Couture/Vera against Pacman/Cotto.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Pro

CYST2000's Arena

OVR: 16

I can't wait to see the Petruzelli fight, because he looked good in his last fight, but then ran out of gas trying to put his opponent away. I hope Marquardt gets the win, only because I think he deserved a title shot long ago. This might be one of those cards that has awesome fights, but because you don't know half the guys it will be a while before they are in any kind of title picture. But hey, at least it's free!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Pro

CYST2000's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Yea, but imo, this seems to be one of the very weaker free cards I've seen put out in a while
Yeah, I've had the same complaints about the ppv's, but the fact that the UFC has at least one and a half events per month, as opposed to what they used to have, what nine per year? Now they have built their roster to help supplement the increase in events. I remember when the heavyweight division was about 10 fighters strong, and now there about 15 or 17 possible fighters in the HW division at any given time. Plus, the UFC just merged it's talent with the WEC, and now there will be two more weight classes, so expect to see more fights that you think are too weak for the ppv or free cards on your television.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYST2000
Yeah, I've had the same complaints about the ppv's, but the fact that the UFC has at least one and a half events per month, as opposed to what they used to have, what nine per year? Now they have built their roster to help supplement the increase in events. I remember when the heavyweight division was about 10 fighters strong, and now there about 15 or 17 possible fighters in the HW division at any given time. Plus, the UFC just merged it's talent with the WEC, and now there will be two more weight classes, so expect to see more fights that you think are too weak for the ppv or free cards on your television.
Actually I expect better cards after the merger. For example UFC 125 was going to be a no buy card when it was just Edgar/Maynard at the top of the card. Now with Aldo on it i'm considering buying it.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
Pro

CYST2000's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Actually I expect better cards after the merger. For example UFC 125 was going to be a no buy card when it was just Edgar/Maynard at the top of the card. Now with Aldo on it i'm considering buying it.
Yeah, but the fact will remain that the cards will be put together with the new fighters and weight classes, so that will include more mid to lower card fighters for the future events. Aldo is awesome to have, but the fact remains that they will eventually make the events at least two times a month, which makes the talent pool so much deeper that most fighters will never get the exposure to truly make it seem as if the card is really full of talent and good match-ups.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, but the fact will remain that the cards will be put together with the new fighters and weight classes, so that will include more mid to lower card fighters for the future events. Aldo is awesome to have, but the fact remains that they will eventually make the events at least two times a month, which makes the talent pool so much deeper that most fighters will never get the exposure to truly make it seem as if the card is really full of talent and good match-ups.
Why would more fighters and more fights equal less exposure? The PPVs will go from 10 fights to 12. Fighters will still get exposure by fighting on main cards and Spike. On average between Spike and the PPV, 8-10 fights are seen on TV on a given night. That wont change with the new fighters.

Also, The UFC just picked up 6 high profile fighters with the merger....Faber, Aldo, Henderson, Cerrone, Brown, Torres. All 6 of those fighters could fight on main cards and 3 of them could and probably will headline PPVs.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
Rookie

Bona Fide's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
No way. The merger provides the UFC with 7 weight classes to work with. With the extra fighters from the WEC that means the weaker fighter from other weight classes will be cut. You can't tell me adding top fighters from two other weight division and cutting the horrible fighters will make cards worse. I really don't get what you are saying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #16
Pro

CYST2000's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona Fide
No way. The merger provides the UFC with 7 weight classes to work with. With the extra fighters from the WEC that means the weaker fighter from other weight classes will be cut. You can't tell me adding top fighters from two other weight division and cutting the horrible fighters will make cards worse. I really don't get what you are saying.
Let's say the UFC has about 40 fighters, and after the merger they have 60 fighters, now out of 60 fighters only 15 are main event types, and let's say 25 are mid card, and 20 are up and comers. Now we all know that MMA fighters have to take some time off between fights, and the UFC has increased it's PPV per year, so with so much talent to spread the UFC might have to spread it thin on most cards and thick on some. Like the PPV on the same week as the Super Bowl, it will be stacked, but the ppv or free shows around it will be bare. It's the classic overencumbered situation. Look at the major wrestling organizations and how they have taken on so much talent and now have problems with putting it all out on a regular basis. Having too much talent isn't a problem, I think the problem is not spreading the talent out just right that can be.

In the past the UFC had fewer fighters, which made them more well known, because they were the ones you always watched, and cards always seemed to be very good, and in part because there were less events per year. Now there will be alot more fighters that you haven't seen much of, and that will make most of the cards seem less and therefore some might seem more heavily stacked.

I'm not bashing the UFC, I am just giving my opinion.

Last edited by CYST2000; 11-05-2010 at 11:26 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »