Home

UFC Undisputed 2010 Submission Survey Results

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 2010 Submission Survey Results within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
UFC Undisputed 2010 Submission Survey Results

Quote:
DISCLAIMER - the following data and results are high level and do not indicate any specific direction we are going as of yet.

In the interest of transparency and sending a friendly message of appreciation after an outpour of nearly 2,000 combined results, wanted to give a high level look at the feedback we received on our recent submission research for the next UFC Undisputed. Please note, these results are absolutely not indicative of any final direction we will proceed, but they are very helpful in allowing us to better understand the varying vibe across our core community, as pertaining to the submission system in general.

There were a lot of great and creative ideas proposed as well, but in the interest of keeping this post concise, I will share some of the top level results:
  • Roughly 50% felt the current submission system could be more fun and strategic, about 15% rated it as very fun
  • 22% felt the controls were very responsive, 78% teetered more towards the middle to not responsive
    • The results here are likely due to lack of visual/audio feedback
    • A better tutorial system would have also helped this dramatically, that is a big takeaway in general for us
  • 40% felt the submission controls were easy to use. There was a fairly even balance between versus those who found the controls too complex. Again this is likely due to the divide between “shine” and “button timing” debate and the need for a better tutorial.
  • 39% prefer a button timing system, versus 28% who prefer to “shine”
    • Most people do not prefer a button mashing system
We took to heart respective comments related to other games and different types of submission systems that could work, and it's not just sports games people drew examples from which was refreshing. There were a lot of comparisons and good ideas drawn. Ultimately some key takeaways
  • While there was divide between "button timing" and "analog shine", everyone agreed that either system could benefit from a greater depth of strategy, less luck involved, and better intuitive understanding through visual/audio feedback as to how successful you are
  • Stamina system was mentioned frequently, it should play a much larger role and function as expected when given specific CAF ratings and/or one fighter style versus another. All in all, if we can improve the stamina system, that will dramatically help in a lot of areas of depth and strategy for the fights and submission system in general
  • A way to defend or reverse submissions, and a system to better defend against submission spamming
My personal favorite comment amongst the hundreds of thousands that speaks to an overall approach:

"I would make it so that you’re not fighting the submission, but rather fighting the position of the submission"

The above is a VERY HIGH LEVEL topline summary, and there were tons of creative ideas suggested, all of which are being read by our design team in a deep report I put together.

Thank you again for your feedback, it will sincerely contribute to the future of the UFC Undisputed Franchise.

We'll be tackling Audio next, so stay tuned for that shortly. Following Audio will be Career Mode.

As I said, this feedback process with you, our community, is serious and rewarding, it's my personal mission (which our dev team is on board with) to acquire your voice in your game.

Cheers,
Tank
http://community.ufcundisputed.com/f...c/476496?&p=ps
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: UFC Undisputed 2010 Submission Survey Results

Nice find. I love that THQ is doing this and hopefully they end up applying this to the next game.

Can't wait for those next 2 surveys, especially the Career one.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

The audio one is already out:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/UFCUndisputedFuture_Audio
Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Oh, nice. Thanks.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Doesn't work for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

I don't get these results. 78% answered in the middle to unresponsive? Maybe I misunderstood the question, but the controls responded perfectly fine, they just sucked and weren't any fun. But they had great response. I'm just shocked that 78% thought it just responded ok or poorly.

I also answered the audio one and told them to stop worrying about the audio or graphics and work on the gameplay - because that's what's hurting the game. Although, there certainly is room for improvement; I'd rather see that done last.

Last edited by st67; 11-25-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Finally got it working. Not a whole lot to improve there though.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

for basically all the sub questions i added negative feedback about the shine. That was really my biggest gripe with the game, the shine suuuuucks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »