Home

Jones v. Rampage - UFC 135- SEPT 24- DENVER

This is a discussion on Jones v. Rampage - UFC 135- SEPT 24- DENVER within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #65
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Jones v. Rampage - Free on Spike TV in September?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
They put their blood sweat and tears into MMA because they love the sport and it provides them with an income. If a fighter enjoys acting just as much as he does fighting, He's gonna choose the thing that pays him the most which is the least difficult to do. In this case its acting.

I still say no one should take Rampage seriously. He's gone from loving to hating to loving it again. After the Hamill fight, all he could talk about was getting his belt back. He flip flops all the time.
OK honestly I don't even get you said right now. Of course someone's gonna choose acting over fighting if they enjoy acting equally. That's not what I was saying at all.

If Rampage enjoys fighting as equally as acting, cool. Rampage is the type of guy who seems extra disrespectful. That's my main contention. I don't take him seriously at all, and I still feel the way I do.

As I said, I really don't think every MMA fighter would drop everything they're doing now if they could act instead and get more money. Just my opinion.

Anyway, hopefully he can put on an entertaining fight for once.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #66
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I don't have a problem with any MMA fighter acting in movies or doing anything else for that matter. However, IMO there's a way a fighter should and shouldn't go about it.

I lost a lot of respect for Rampage during and after coaching The TUF Heavyweight season for a myriad of reasons. The way he treated his and the other teams fighters for one. Two, talking all that trash with Rashad only to dip out on the fight, at the last minute. A fight that was set up for him in his home town might I add. Then, the way he bitched and moaned to the media about the UFC and Dana, etc. His whining about how he deserved a title shot after the BJ/Edgar rematch I believe it was. Lastly, his lackluster performances in his last few fights. He just doesn't fight with the fire that he used to have IMO.

But, like I said, if he somehow wins I'll be glad because I'm very confident that Rashad will beat him again if we get a Rashad vs. Rampage 2

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #67
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

I feel you on that.

Let me re-iterate. If you offer anyone in any career the chance for more money in a new career, chances are they're gonna accept it. I guess I can't be that naive about this.

However like jeremy said, it's just the way he went about it and the fact that sports are very different from any other career. He has a following and he has fans to try to be loyal to. I'm not saying he owes anyone a damn thing, but he could obviously be a bit more censored when it comes to possible career changes.

But as I said initially, I do understand and I cannot at all hate on someone who wants more money. I guess it's not as black and white of an issue just because of the nature of sports and the entertainment business.

I will bow out of this discussion because I admit that it's tough to rag on someone for wanting more money. Just shut up though Rampage
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #68
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I don't have a problem with any MMA fighter acting in movies or doing anything else for that matter. However, IMO there's a way a fighter should and shouldn't go about it.

I lost a lot of respect for Rampage during and after coaching The TUF Heavyweight season for a myriad of reasons. The way he treated his and the other teams fighters for one. Two, talking all that trash with Rashad only to dip out on the fight, at the last minute. A fight that was set up for him in his home town might I add. Then, the way he bitched and moaned to the media about the UFC and Dana, etc. His whining about how he deserved a title shot after the BJ/Edgar rematch I believe it was. Lastly, his lackluster performances in his last few fights. He just doesn't fight with the fire that he used to have IMO.

But, like I said, if he somehow wins I'll be glad because I'm very confident that Rashad will beat him again if we get a Rashad vs. Rampage 2
I cant defend what he did after the TUF season. He was wrong for that. With that said, the fact that he had to fight Evans in the first place for a title shot was kind of ridiculous. The UFC is very consistent when it comes to title shots. Past champions are only required to win one or two fights to get another shot. GSP got a rematch after 1 fight. Penn got an immediate rematch. Lesnar would have received one after his JDS fight if he would have won. Rich Franklin got a shot after two.

Rampage beat Silva and Jardine, was promised a shot and instead of getting a shot a Machida was begged (he says forced) to do TUF and fight Evans for a shot. There has never been a former UFC champion who's been forced to win 4 out of 5 before receiving another shot at the belt. He has every reason to be a little irritated and upset with the UFC.

I disagree with fighting with fire. He knocked out Silva and almost finished Jardine, Evans (remember the beginning of the third rnd) and Hamill. When you get to this level its hard to finish fighters. Look at your boy Rashad. Since the Machida loss, he's grinded out decisions against T. Silva and Rampage. In both of those fights he relied solely on his wrestling and nearly was finished in the third round but no one is saying he doesnt fight with fire.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #69
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

^^ I meant more-so, since his return from acting but, his fight against Hamill was an improvement so, I'll give him that.

As far as Rampage not getting an another shot at the title, when should he have gotten it? After losing to Griffin I'd say that he probably deserved a shot at Machida once he defeated Jardine. However, once Machida and Shogun 1 happened then he automatically got dropped to the #2 contender. I think that he may have deserved the shot at Machida/Shogun 2 winner. However, he chose to go do the movie and IMO, when someone voluntarily takes a year off from the sport then, they should have to work their way back up to a title shot even if it's just one win. After his loss to Rashad, he certainly didn't deserve a title shot. And now he two wins in a row and IMO he does deserve a title shot however, he doesn't deserve on over Rashad but, luckily for Rampage (this time) timing was on his side.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #70
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I can't root for a guy who continually says he'll leave MMA the minute he makes more money acting.

Correct me if I'm wrong and he didn't say that.

But I'm tired of this guy. I'll of course watch him fight anytime he's in the cage, but root for him? Hell no. I used to be a fan of his when Pride was coming over to the US.. but na, dude can go to the ****ing film industry for all I care. GTFO

And before anyone brings up Diaz, at least he wants to scrap period. Diaz is a different story than Rampage.
How can you get mad at a guy for wanting to get the moat financially while he still can?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #71
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:

I agree w/ most of that except him bitching about a rematch. We saw Rua, Machida, and Penn get instant rematches after close title fights. That didn't happen w/ Rampage against Forrest. It should not have taken him what? 3 years to get another title shot. Since that loss, he's lost? 1 time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #72
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
^^ I meant more-so, since his return from acting but, his fight against Hamill was an improvement so, I'll give him that.

As far as Rampage not getting an another shot at the title, when should he have gotten it? After losing to Griffin I'd say that he probably deserved a shot at Machida once he defeated Jardine. However, once Machida and Shogun 1 happened then he automatically got dropped to the #2 contender. I think that he may have deserved the shot at Machida/Shogun 2 winner. However, he chose to go do the movie and IMO, when someone voluntarily takes a year off from the sport then, they should have to work their way back up to a title shot even if it's just one win. After his loss to Rashad, he certainly didn't deserve a title shot. And now he two wins in a row and IMO he does deserve a title shot however, he doesn't deserve on over Rashad but, luckily for Rampage (this time) timing was on his side.
He should have gotten it before Rua. Remember he was promised a title shot after the Jardine fight and was supposed to fight the winner of Evans/Machida. The UFC made him do TUF and gave the shot to Rua

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »