Home

UFC 141 - Lesnar vs. Overeem - Dec. 30th

This is a discussion on UFC 141 - Lesnar vs. Overeem - Dec. 30th within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #25
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: UFC 141 - Lesnar vs. Overeem - Dec. 30th

I just realized that Overeem is technically the linear Heavyweight Champion. MMA doesnt have as much of a need for this a boxing does (with its 10 different sanctioning bodies) but I found this interesting.

The first recognized champion was Mark Coleman. The title then goes through Maurice Smith, and Randy Couture.

Couture left the UFC, losing his linear title to Enson Inoue, who quickly surrenders it to Mark Kerr.

The title then goes through Kazuyuki Fujita, and then back to Mark Coleman all in a single day.

Coleman loses the linear title to Minotauro Nogueira, who then loses it to Fedor Emelianenko. Fedor lost to Werdum and Werdum justlost to Overeem,

Doesnt matter much since the UFC title is considered the top title in the sport. Also we are technically 2 fights away from the titles being unified
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

People were keeping track of that somewhere. Though I believe it was referred to as -the man- as in Ric Flair's classic wrestling line of "to be the man you gotta beat the man" which would in fact be Overeem now.

I can see the thinking that Brock is a sham but Overeem? Overrated,I can see how people can get that but a flat out sham?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Lesnar vs. Overeem signed for Dec. 30th

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25880/dona...-las-vegas.mma

Cowboy and Nate Diaz targeted for UFC 141. Can't wait for this one. Cerrone will be the favorite, but I know Nate will come to scrap.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #28
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles

Cowboy and Nate Diaz targeted for UFC 141. Can't wait for this one. Cerrone will be the favorite, but I know Nate will come to scrap.
LOL. Cowboy doesnt know the meaning of vacation.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:

Great fight...I'd pick the cowboy cause he seems to be adding power to his stand up to go with his already great ground game but Nate can't slap on a quick choke and that's one thing that has hurt Cerrone so far.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #30
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:

Wow. Very entertaining fight right there.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #31
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Oh my goodness. What a matchup.

Even though Cowboy may be going backwards in terms of progression, Diaz is a legit opponent having moved down to LW.

I mean going from Oliveria to Siver... to Diaz? Might not make the most sense, but on paper it's going to be quite a fight. I can't really name a better opponent anyway, only guys I can think of are maybe Pettis or Lauzon.

IMO a win against Diaz should put Cowboy in a #1 contender fight after Gil gets a crack at it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #32
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Oh my goodness. What a matchup.

Even though Cowboy may be going backwards in terms of progression, Diaz is a legit opponent having moved down to LW.

I mean going from Oliveria to Siver... to Diaz? Might not make the most sense, but on paper it's going to be quite a fight. I can't really name a better opponent anyway, only guys I can think of are maybe Pettis or Lauzon.

IMO a win against Diaz should put Cowboy in a #1 contender fight after Gil gets a crack at it.
You know what? It makes sense to me. Diaz is another nice name to put on the mantle. Totally agree that if he wins this one, he should get the first shot at Gil. Still feel like Dana's going to give Gil an immediate shot if he destroys
Masvidal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »