Home

UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos

Tank, thanks for the comments.

Honest question, Do you feel the game will be authentic in terms of variety ways a match can unfold?? For instance the 2009 demo felt so great because a fight could end by KO 5 sec into fight or go the full match. It varied and felt very realistic. Where 2010 was extremely standing driven due to auto-transition block making game very rock em sock em feel.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Like you guys I found the video unimpressive. But I will go on to say I think they just did a poor job of showing the game.

I think UFC 3 will be back in the "fun" column that UFC 2009 was in. Couple reasons why I think so.
  • The 3 transition = pass has been removed. Now it is just like UFC 2009 where you the user must transition block to prevent pass. This will bring back the skill online in the ground game. Plus make ground fighters more dangerous without fear of transition spammers kicking you off.
  • Transition and reversal spam is being countered with hits to stamina on every attempt of either. Thus making ground game more strategy filled.
  • Light punches that interupt heavy strikes is a blessing! Now having to face guys online that only hold LB and therow power shots you can counter and setup combos.
  • Simulation mode will be perfect for guys like myself who like to run leagues.
  • The strategy that was involved in 2009 is coming back in UFC3 which I think will make a huge difference in the replay value.

All in all we can all agree they did not fix any of the rough animations and how much of the game lacks fluidity. But I am glad to see them focus that extra year to balance and strategy match ups. That is part of what made 2009 so fun to play online.

2010 ruined it by dumbing it down into a slug fest with lack of ground game.

Throw in Pride mode and what looks to be a even bigger improvement on the already stellar commentary and presentation. I think UFC 3 will bring back what I loved about UFC 2009 plus other good enhancements. (ground sways, simulation mode, cage more of a factor, etc)
I agree with much of what you said. But 1 thing confirmed to not be in, that needs to be, is a health regeneration. EA's MMA had the right idea, it was a multitude of shots that ended the fight on the ground. Right now I think it will still be too easy to get a takedown and pot shot little baby punches that cumulate damage while keeping him down. Then after enough baby punches take damage, they land that weak stepping punch that gets classified as a strong strike for a KO. I hope for the next itteration of the game includes a true health regen system. If you get rocked, it regenerated much slower, until you can get to a safe platoon, breathe for a few seconds and recover. EA layed the ground work THQ, now take the ball and run with it, and build upon and improve that system.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I agree with much of what you said. But 1 thing confirmed to not be in, that needs to be, is a health regeneration. EA's MMA had the right idea, it was a multitude of shots that ended the fight on the ground. Right now I think it will still be too easy to get a takedown and pot shot little baby punches that cumulate damage while keeping him down. Then after enough baby punches take damage, they land that weak stepping punch that gets classified as a strong strike for a KO. I hope for the next itteration of the game includes a true health regen system. If you get rocked, it regenerated much slower, until you can get to a safe platoon, breathe for a few seconds and recover. EA layed the ground work THQ, now take the ball and run with it, and build upon and improve that system.
This was one of the questions Tank and them went over for one of the dev Q & A's. They said they wanted to get it in this year but something with the current system could not. But plan for the future release to have it working properly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
This was one of the questions Tank and them went over for one of the dev Q & A's. They said they wanted to get it in this year but something with the current system could not. But plan for the future release to have it working properly.
I saw that too, which is why I said it was confirmed to not be in, I hope they can get it working for the next version. It's one of the main things hampering the game play in my opinion. I know what they have said, but we have heard stories from all different companies, and what we actually recieve in the game is a totally different story. EA, 2k, and THQ are all guilty of this. I will still get ufc 3, but if heath regen isn't in 4, no dice.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
WWE / UFC Community Manager

THQ Tank's Arena

OVR: 2

The game now has a simulation mode you can turn on/off that will dramatically impact the way fight plays out in a much more authentic fashion. So to your point about 2009, without question.

What you noted about 2010 was also fixed, auto-block, etc.

I don't know if you recall, but I ran 5 surveys for community feedback early on, all of which was heavily implemented in many facets.

I've also hosted 8 gameplay balance/exploit testing sessions here with pro gamers, pro fighting gamers, core UFC players - all of whom have helped improve the game and walked away impressed, especially our core UFC guys a few weeks back.

I've been a Community Manager for 8 years, I will not BS you guys, I mean it when I say, this game is a dramatic improvement over 2009 and 2010 from the inside. The graphics may not look like a 10-year leap, but what sports game does year over year. You're never building a new graphic engine for a sports game, you're refining it year over year. A sports game is not a 1-year game, it's at least a 3-year title.

I am 100% confident UFC 3 will make you feel like 2009 and then some, a lot of some, if that makes any sense at all.

Cheers,
Tank
Old 11-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

All I want to know is, is there standing kimuras and drop down rolling knee bars in the game ? Considering you can take people's backs in the standing clinch now, it would be a great counter to people who might want to cheese the back clinch over and over again.

Also did you guys bring back the ability to slam your way out of a triangle choke or arm bar ? Considering you do see a good amount of fighters that do this.

Far as butter fly guard, is it just for show like has been for the past 2 games now or does it now serve a purpose to the point you can use it to sway your opponent from side to side to knock them off balance. I mean in real life, that is the point of a butterfly guard, to keep the guy on top of you off balance by shifting their weight away for they can't just square up and drop bombs on you.

Any new sweeps from the bottom ? It would be nice if they put kimura sweeps in the game, since you do see a good amount of fighters nowadays use the kimura from the bottom to sweep the guy or they use it to help them stand up.

Also did you guys make the different disciplines have discilpine specific type of moves ?

I always hated seeing wrestlers have the same takedowns and throws as a BJJ or Judo guy. Or wrestlers having the same submission moves as a BJJ or Judo guy. Or a BJJ guy having the same take down moves as a wrestler.

I would like to see BJJ and Judo guys having their own take down moves and more advanced submission and sweep moves. In the past you could never tell the difference between a high level BJJ black belt fighter from a basic level BJJ black belt wrestler.

Everybody shared the same moves and same submission moves. Didn't matter who you played as, you could play ANY way with them and have a high level of success.

Such as I could take McSweeney and submit people with him with ease. I could take a BJJ fighter and fight with him like he was Mike Tyson and KO people with ease.

That made online play unenjoyable because all people had to do was spam the punch button. Didn't matter who the fighter was, that is all you had to do and you would win 97% of the time.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

Good to hear tank, will there be seperate ranked leaderboards for simulation mode? Most people here would rather play with a bigger punishment for burning stamina, etc. And most of us get left out of leaderboards for wanting to play more realistically.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by THQ Tank
The game now has a simulation mode you can turn on/off that will dramatically impact the way fight plays out in a much more authentic fashion. So to your point about 2009, without question.

What you noted about 2010 was also fixed, auto-block, etc.

I don't know if you recall, but I ran 5 surveys for community feedback early on, all of which was heavily implemented in many facets.

I've also hosted 8 gameplay balance/exploit testing sessions here with pro gamers, pro fighting gamers, core UFC players - all of whom have helped improve the game and walked away impressed, especially our core UFC guys a few weeks back.

I've been a Community Manager for 8 years, I will not BS you guys, I mean it when I say, this game is a dramatic improvement over 2009 and 2010 from the inside. The graphics may not look like a 10-year leap, but what sports game does year over year. You're never building a new graphic engine for a sports game, you're refining it year over year. A sports game is not a 1-year game, it's at least a 3-year title.

I am 100% confident UFC 3 will make you feel like 2009 and then some, a lot of some, if that makes any sense at all.

Cheers,
Tank
I know part of your job Tank is to tell us what we want to hear. A marketing strategy of some point. But I will follow that up by saying you are one of the few community managers I trust, so I take your word on it being a improved 2009.

Now on to your post, I am not really concerned with the graphics to be honest. I want the balanced, strategy filled experience of facing guys online. Fearing someone on the ground like Damien Maia and knowing if it goes to the ground I will play hell getting off my back, while guarding from the submission all the time or facing Anthony Pettis's dozens of crazy strikes. Always having to keep the hands up and the danger of his stand up attack.

This is a area 2010 really really lacked in. Ground fighters were at huge disadvantages due to the auto-transition block which stand up fighters would just spam until back to feet without worry of gassing and getting subbed. The game needs to showcase the different styles such as BJJ(Maia), Wrestling(Sonnen), Strikers (Silva, Velasquez), etc. But most importantly it needs to be a strategy filled experience rather than the button mash fest 2010 was.

Now I will ask you one thing in return. Spend little more time on OS and addressing us MMA fans here. We have a good MMA fan base here, while not as huge as some of the sites dedicated to MMA and UFC. We do have a select hardcore group of "realistic" minded gamers which will give great insight into the issues or improvements that need to be made.

Thanks again for the communication Tank

Last edited by Phobia; 11-09-2011 at 02:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »