Home

UFC 147 - Silva v. Franklin 2- Brazil - June 23

This is a discussion on UFC 147 - Silva v. Franklin 2- Brazil - June 23 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Silva v Sonnen II on, according to White

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
His last two fights didnt show me anything that can convince me Sonnen wont be able to do the same thing this time. Against Belfort, Silva and Belfort basically stared at each other for 2 min until Silva hit him with the front kick. Okami was hesitant to get hit and was unable to get close enough to take Silva down.

Sonnen isnt afraid to get hit by Silva. Some of the shots Sonnen took in the last fight would have dropped other fighters but he kept going forward. Also Sonne's wrestling takes away Silva's leg kicks because of fear of a takedown.
Makes sense and good points. I just feel Silva is too great and smart to let Sonnen use the same game plan as effectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

If anything, in Silva's last two bouts, he's been spry. Much more light on his toes.

Obviously Vitor and Okami aren't Sonnen. Nobody is Sonnen, so that style is never going to be replicated.

In Silva's fight against Sonnen, he looked off, all credit due to Sonnen, but there was something going on on Silva's end.. made him a step slow and the reflexes to counter were not there.

That's all I'm saying. I do believe Silva will spend a lot of time on his back as I said before, but I don't think Sonnen's take down success rate will be 99% like it was last time around. I think there's gonna be a few more exchanges on the feet and Silva will show some ability to avoid Sonnen's charges.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
His last two fights didnt show me anything that can convince me Sonnen wont be able to do the same thing this time. Against Belfort, Silva and Belfort basically stared at each other for 2 min until Silva hit him with the front kick. Okami was hesitant to get hit and was unable to get close enough to take Silva down.

Sonnen isnt afraid to get hit by Silva. Some of the shots Sonnen took in the last fight would have dropped other fighters but he kept going forward. Also Sonne's wrestling takes away Silva's leg kicks because of fear of a takedown.
So are you picking Sonnen?
I do think that he will be able to take the shots to set it up, but I think he can hurt him. Henderson has an iron chin and he rocked him, so why wouldn't he be able to rock Sonnen?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
So are you picking Sonnen?
I do think that he will be able to take the shots to set it up, but I think he can hurt him. Henderson has an iron chin and he rocked him, so why wouldn't he be able to rock Sonnen?
I'm picking Sonnen by UD.

He had 5 rounds to rock Sonnen. He nailed him with several flush shots during the fight and didnt hurt him. The only significant strike I remember that hurt Sonnen was in the 3rd and all Sonnen did was clinch, push him up against the cage and put him on his back.

The guy was less than a minute from winning the belt. You can blame it on testosterone (had nothing to do with it) or the broken rib but I think Sonnen has his number and the skill set to beat Silva.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
I'm picking Sonnen by UD.

He had 5 rounds to rock Sonnen. He nailed him with several flush shots during the fight and didnt hurt him. The only significant strike I remember that hurt Sonnen was in the 3rd and all Sonnen did was clinch, push him up against the cage and put him on his back.

The guy was less than a minute from winning the belt. You can blame it on testosterone (had nothing to do with it) or the broken rib but I think Sonnen has his number and the skill set to beat Silva.
You can also say even through all the controversy Anderson still made him tap, whether it be it in 25 seconds or at the final moment.
I think Anderson will probably make him tap again, that has always been his problem and Anderson has a great submission game.
That being said I do think a big wrestler is his weakness, if you can call it that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
You can also say even through all the controversy Anderson still made him tap, whether it be it in 25 seconds or at the final moment.
I think Anderson will probably make him tap again, that has always been his problem and Anderson has a great submission game.
That being said I do think a big wrestler is his weakness, if you can call it that.
Im not willing to say Silva's submission game is great. Its solid. A great submission artist would have made Sonnen tap in the first 4 rounds. Especially when Sonnen is known to have an issue stopping submissions and Sonnen was basically laying on top of him for 4 rounds.

For example, I would say Maia has a great submission game and it took Maia under 3 minutes to tap Sonnen after he took him down. I really suggest rewatching that fight. Silva was working for the triangle/armbar the entire fight. Sonnen fought smart the entire night by immediately working to get to half guard anytime he was in full. He made one mistake at the end of the 5th by staying in full guard longer than he should have. That mistake cost him the fight.

I blame that loss more on Sonnen's mistake than Silva's skill.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
Im not willing to say Silva's submission game is great. Its solid. A great submission artist would have made Sonnen tap in the first 4 rounds. Especially when Sonnen is known to have an issue stopping submissions and Sonnen was basically laying on top of him for 4 rounds.

For example, I would say Maia has a great submission game and it took Maia under 3 minutes to tap Sonnen after he took him down. I really suggest rewatching that fight. Silva was working for the triangle/armbar the entire fight. Sonnen fought smart the entire night by immediately working to get to half guard anytime he was in full. He made one mistake at the end of the 5th by staying in full guard longer than he should have. That mistake cost him the fight.

I blame that loss more on Sonnen's mistake than Silva's skill.
Yeah I remember that fight. Maia is a world class grappler, and you are right he should have finished the fight earlier, but the key is he did finish the fight.
Anyways I guess we will see soon. Why did he back off those comments he made though?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Yeah I remember that fight. Maia is a world class grappler, and you are right he should have finished the fight earlier, but the key is he did finish the fight.
Anyways I guess we will see soon. Why did he back off those comments he made though?
Nothing Sonnen EVER says should be taken seriously. Even when he made the loser leaves town announcement, I laughed and said he would try to find a way out of that if he lost. Sonnen is just selling the fight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »