Home

Miguel Torres Released by the UFC!

This is a discussion on Miguel Torres Released by the UFC! within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Miguel Torres Released by the UFC!

JoshGrossESPN Josh Gross
According to an interview w/ SI.com, @danawhite released @MiguelTorresMMA from @UFC today for his tweet about a "rape van."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
2010,13,15,16 CHAMPS!

SidVish's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Miguel Torres Released by the UFC!

He got released for the following comment "“If a rape van was called a surprise van more women wouldn’t mind going for rides in them. Everyone like surprises.”

Rashad got fined $30,000 for the following comment about Phil Davis "“I guarantee you’ll be the first one to take a [wrestling] shot. Guarantee. Because I’m going to put my hands on you worse than that dude did them other kids at Penn State.”

Dana explained his decisions here.

http://mma-boxing.si.com/2011/12/08/...media-miscues/
"I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score."
Ricky Davis
Quote:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Rashad is very lucky he didn't get fired too. I swear if he wasn't such a well known name in the UFC and that they really need him in that division, he would have been fired.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
2010,13,15,16 CHAMPS!

SidVish's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Rashad is very lucky he didn't get fired too. I swear if he wasn't such a well known name in the UFC and that they really need him in that division, he would have been fired.
There is no doubt about that. People are just so stupid. Why would you hit send after typing that crap out?
"I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score."
Ricky Davis
Quote:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVish
There is no doubt about that. People are just so stupid. Why would you hit send after typing that crap out?
People GREATLY under estimate the power of Twitter and Facebook. He might thought it was funny and thought since it was said on Twitter, nobody would care.

Stuff goes viral online in a matter of minutes. Women groups would have sued the crap out of UFC if Miguel Torres remained. Because it plays into the stereotype of MMA is nothing but a bunch of drunken males proving how manly they are in a over glorified bar fight.

Dana can't afford that type of bad press right now while he is trying to get MMA legal in New York and expand it to other countries for tv coverage.

Sports stars and other famous people need to realize their followers on Twitter and Facebook is in the thousands. Have to be very careful what you say online.

You would have thought he would have learned from Tiki Barber, Ashton Kutcher and other people how what they said online got them in trouble too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

First off, Torres is a dumb **** for ever thinking that would be a smart thing to post on Twitter. Keep that ish to yourself, or at least not somewhere where millions of people can read it.

And as for Rashad, all I can do is that he gets the special treatment. Really, Dana? His excuse is the mics were bad, but what does that matter if he still knows what Rashad said? What he said was just as bad as what Torres said and it's a joke he isn't scrapped for the same reason Torres was.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

LOL. Women's group would protest but they wouldn't sue. They have no grounds to sue.

Its a bit of a double standard. Evans and Griffin's comments were just as bad. The difference is they generate revenue for the UFC and Torres doesn't.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

I understand they are bigger stars, but the fact that Torres was released for this and not Evans or Griffin makes this look awful. Evans comment is arguably worse than Torres', but Torres is an idiot to go and tweet this just weeks after Griffin caught heat for what he posted.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »