Home

UFC 145 - Jon "Bones" Jones Vs Rashad Evans, April 21

This is a discussion on UFC 145 - Jon "Bones" Jones Vs Rashad Evans, April 21 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #65
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: UFC 145 - Jon "Bones" Jones Vs Rashad Evans, April 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTE92
And how is Jones and Jackson betraying Evans, if Rashad feels that strongly about not wanting to fight a teammate then he shouldn't be wanting a title shot he should either wait for Jon to lose it to go after it or drop down to middleweight and challenge Silva. It's not Jones' fault, he should have to defend his title against the top challenger and Rashad should just be glad that it's him right now and take what he can get.
- They arent teammates anymore.
- Evans was owed a LHW title shot before Jones got his.
- During the promotion for Jones/Rua, Evans said he would drop to 185 if Jones won the belt because Jones and him promised to never fight each other.
- That only changed when Jones went on Versus and said he would fight Rashad if he had too.

Its completely Jones' fault. Jones flip flopped on fighting Evans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #66
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
So Evans couldn't have said no? It takes two to tango. Again, how do you fight in the same weight class and expect to not fight. Bones was supposed to deny the title shot? He had just dominated Bader and Rogan rushes in offering a title shot, 24(?) years old, he's supposed to say no?

I seriously don't understand this thinking. My best friend and I had this convo before. We just said we'd go in different weight classes. Again, see Big Nog/Lil Nog and Silva/Machida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #67
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
So Evans couldn't have said no? It takes two to tango. Again, how do you fight in the same weight class and expect to not fight. Bones was supposed to deny the title shot? He had just dominated Bader and Rogan rushes in offering a title shot, 24(?) years old, he's supposed to say no?

I seriously don't understand this thinking. My best friend and I had this convo before. We just said we'd go in different weight classes. Again, see Big Nog/Lil Nog and Silva/Machida.
Fitch and Koscheck have fought in the same weight class and company for years and never fought. Diaz and Shields fight in the same weight class and company and will never fight. Its possible.

Also you have the facts all wrong. Evans told Jones the night before the Bader fight that he was injured and that if he won the Bader fight, he would probably get a shot at Rua. Evans told him to take the fight. After the Bader fight, Evans said SEVERAL times that he was thinking about dropping to 185 if Jones won and that he didnt believe in fighting teammates.

Why would Evans say "no" when Jones tells the world that he would fight him? How does that make Evans look? In order for that to work, both fighters have to remain strong. Thats why Fitch and Kos have never fought. Every time Dana goads them about them being two top 5 WW and never fighting they stand firm and say it will never happen.

I like Jones and I think he could be huge for this sport but its clear that he and Jackson snaked Evans. Jackson wanted the best of both worlds...the new hot prospect and the established #1 contender.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #68
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Ok, I give you the Diaz/Shield and Kos/Fitch examples (no choice lol).

How does it make Evans look? You concerned about how you look or the morals you aligned yourself with? Jackson made a business decision and Jones said what I would expect a fighter to say. I don't think it's anyone's "fault".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #69
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Ok, I give you the Diaz/Shield and Kos/Fitch examples (no choice lol).

How does it make Evans look? You concerned about how you look or the morals you aligned yourself with? Jackson made a business decision and Jones said what I would expect a fighter to say. I don't think it's anyone's "fault".
Why would you be loyal to someone who isnt loyal to you? Evans was willing to sacrifice a title shot, a huge PPV percentage, endorsements and move down to a weight class he's never fought at out of loyalty to Jackson's and Jones. Why would you make all those sacrifices if the guy you are being loyal to is saying he wouldnt do the same? That makes no sense.

I blame Jackson more than Jones. 5 fighters made Greg Jackson (GSP, Evans, Sanchez, Jardine, Marquardt). He should have loyalty to those guys who made him a household name. He shouldve told Evans "We are bringing in Jones because I think he can bring alot to the camp. If you dont want to work with him thats fine. I'll even give you separate coaches and if you ever fight I wont coach either of you."

Instead he said "Fighters at Jackson's dont fight each other so dont worry about it" even though Evans said he was concerned about it. Its funny that 4 of the 5 fighters who made that camp are no longer there.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #70
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Hm, touché. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #71
MVP

OVR: 10

Aholbert said it best: Jackson wanted the #1 rising phenom in the sport under his banner (who wouldn't???) and was willing to basically throw Rashad under the bus. He found a new, better cash cow and threw out his old one. It's just business but if you can't trust your trainers and your teachers, why stay?

The ironic thing is though that while GSP helped create the reputation for Jackson's, it wasn't as if he was actually there training all day. They even mentioned it on the Primetime series (maybe it was against Hardy or maybe it was against Shields, I forget), but essentially all Jackson did was create the gameplan for GSP and GSP trains primarily up in Montreal with his own camp in Tristar, but I think he would train with some of the Jackson fighters (like Rashad or Nate). Obviously Diego left Jackson's but is now back, but that was the same situation here. I think Jardine still resides at Jackson's, and I think Nate might be on amicable terms with Jackson since I think he does the majority of his training at Grudge Training Center with Trevor Wittman and that's an affiliate of Jackson's.

Note that Rashad also said that he would never fight Jardine either, and it's all because of the whole camp fraternity that forms where you're working and pushing your teammates to the limit to get better. Why else do people think that Fitch and Koscheck say that if you want to see them fight, go down to AKA (well before Kos left AKA anyway).

And sure, Bones might be promoting the event, but you certainly don't need to be a body language expert nor have a PhD in Psychology to see that Bones really is arrogant as hell. Again though, I really have no problem with it because he IS that good and you need that type of belief in yourself to be great, but let's not try and fool ourselves here into thinking he's some humble hero.

Last edited by XFactah416; 04-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #72
Hail West Virginia

mtoo22's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Fitch and Koscheck have fought in the same weight class and company for years and never fought. Diaz and Shields fight in the same weight class and company and will never fight. Its possible.

Also you have the facts all wrong. Evans told Jones the night before the Bader fight that he was injured and that if he won the Bader fight, he would probably get a shot at Rua. Evans told him to take the fight. After the Bader fight, Evans said SEVERAL times that he was thinking about dropping to 185 if Jones won and that he didnt believe in fighting teammates.

Why would Evans say "no" when Jones tells the world that he would fight him? How does that make Evans look? In order for that to work, both fighters have to remain strong. Thats why Fitch and Kos have never fought. Every time Dana goads them about them being two top 5 WW and never fighting they stand firm and say it will never happen.

I like Jones and I think he could be huge for this sport but its clear that he and Jackson snaked Evans. Jackson wanted the best of both worlds...the new hot prospect and the established #1 contender.
But neither Diaz/Shields or Koscheck/Fitch are champion and number 1 contender. If this is you're livelihood and you want to be the best, you may have to suck it up and fight someone you like at some point. Unless this is boxing..

West by God

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »