Home

UFC 151 - Jones vs. Hendo - Sept 1 - Vegas

This is a discussion on UFC 151 - Jones vs. Hendo - Sept 1 - Vegas within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #241
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: UFC 151 - Jones vs. Hendo - Sept 1 - Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You are looking at this entire situation in a bubble and not taking into account what fighters are available. Tell me what fighters were available to headline a PPV. I broke down the entire situation for you. Best case scenario for 151 wouldve been Jones v. a HW if he doesnt take the Chael fight. The only HWs that were available were at the Dave Herman level. So you are arguing that the UFC shouldve gone with a Jones/Herman or Gonzaga fight over a Jones/Sonnen title fight? If you are, thats insane.

What is also insane is anyone who has an issue with Maia getting a shot when he did. He was 6-1 in the UFC at that time (5 more wins than Silva had when he got his shot) and two people scheduled to get a shot before him (Marquardt and Belfort) were injured. Its easy to say "Maia didnt deserve a shot. Look how he performed against Silva" after the fact. At the time he was the #4 ranked MW in the world. If #2 and 3 arent available, its not a crime to give the shot to #4.
I actually included the maia response in the other thread, I think guys are getting tired of me dragging this out so I'll stop. The last thing I wanted to say, is I read your breakdown, understand it and largely agree with it - but what I was getting at with the UFC roster size, was that potentially they could have put up contender fights in OTHER weight classes and forget about Jones. That's all. 2 weeks, who knows what they could have come up with, but we'll never know. I wasn't entirely suggesting that a Jones HW fight was better. But I do stand by my position being philosophically sound where had the Chael fight happened it's not legit to put a belt on the line given he's coming off a loss and in another weight division. At that point, the belts don't really mean much, and really then they should just make it a dream world and match-make the best fights possible without worrying about belts. (I don't really want that either)

lol on to the current cards!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »