Home

Thoughts on the UFC on Fox

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the UFC on Fox within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Thoughts on the UFC on Fox

I have tried to like it, but the UFC on Fox is just not working for me.

One of my biggest issues is the music interspersed throughout the broadcast: it's the same jingle Fox uses for the NFL games, but you know what - it doesn't fit. That jingle is day-time sound and MMA is a night-time angry sport. If anyone knows music, it's like the difference between a major and a minor key.
Blues and Rock and Roll are played in a minor key, and that Fox jungle is all major key happy ****. It may as well be Julie Andrews singing Hills are Alive.

Anyway, I used to see fights all the time on Spike TV, which kept the sport in my mind all the time, and now I hardly come across it. The whole thing is depressing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Thoughts on the UFC on Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDocta
I have tried to like it, but the UFC on Fox is just not working for me.

One of my biggest issues is the music interspersed throughout the broadcast: it's the same jingle Fox uses for the NFL games, but you know what - it doesn't fit. That jingle is day-time sound and MMA is a night-time angry sport. If anyone knows music, it's like the difference between a major and a minor key.
Blues and Rock and Roll are played in a minor key, and that Fox jungle is all major key happy ****. It may as well be Julie Andrews singing Hills are Alive.

Anyway, I used to see fights all the time on Spike TV, which kept the sport in my mind all the time, and now I hardly come across it. The whole thing is depressing.
Fox uses the same jingle for all its events. The Fox theme song is used for Nascar and MLB too. With the exception of the Fox broadcasts, the UFc still uses the "Face the Pain" theme song. Its used on FX and Fuel fight nights.

Fuel TV shows more UFC than Spike ever did. There is not a day that there isnt at least 1-2 hrs of UFC content on Fuel. The problem is most people who have cable like Comcast dont have Fuel.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

RIght, I don't think I have Fuel channel. As for the jingle, I know it's Fox's go-to sound, but NASCAR and MLB are also daytime sports -- whole different vibe in my mind.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Music is turning you off? Just mute it then. FOX is showing top level fighters for free, I don't care if they had classical music playing the whole time.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm all for it. The music does annoy me but it's easy for me to look past it. I hate commercials between rounds, but understand why of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

I agree they could use a presentation overhaul for their lead in. It doesn't fit combat sports as well, that is better suited for Baseball and Football and other team sports. That being said once the fights start, that's all that really matters.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 17

Not many knew Fuel TV even existed if it weren't for the UFC deal. I'm still miffed that Time Warner cable doesn't have an HD Fuel channel. I can't complain too much b/c some providers don't have the channel at all.

I think Fox should come up with some new ideas besides the presentation stuff they use for football. The theme music just doesn't get my amped up for MMA like it does for football.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I preferred everything more on Spike.

it's also strange that even though FOX is much bigger network, that nobody gets Fuel lol ... I sure as hell don't. Yet it seems like EVERYONE gets Spike - I know they won't but I wish they went back to spike.

Personally I don't need MMA to be big time mainstream like NFL ... it makes zero difference to me other than having to endure more commercials, more big network too many commentator scenarios.

For those wanting and needing MMA to be full blown mainstream, - why? It's awesome how it is now (although I still think it was better when it was spike). In my opinion, if it keeps getting bigger, it will actually get worse as a fan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »