Home

Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen coaching the next TUF/ Fight on 4/27

This is a discussion on Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen coaching the next TUF/ Fight on 4/27 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #49
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen coaching the next TUF/ Fight on 4/27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Dana can have Hendo fight instead of Sonnen in April. Or he could have Jones fight the winner of Shogun/Gus. Either of those scenarios would make an exponential amount more sense than Chael. You don't have to put Jones on TUF at all, which was my entire point. If they are so set on having TUF be watched by people, so be it. I don't agree with it but it is what it is.

You don't see how it hurts the legitimacy of the belt? I don't know what else to say except you don't believe what you just typed. There are a plethora of reasons why Sonnen doesn't deserve this fight and therefore it hurts the legitimacy of the process and the legitimacy of the title. It's a crock of crap that a guy coming off a loss and hasn't taken a fight at 205 in years can get an immediate title shot when there's a few guys who deserve it much more. Makes it even worse that this is a planned fight, several months in advance. It isn't like before where there were no other options.
The UFC doesnt exist in a bubble. Its a business designed to make money. I explained previously that you are looking at losing millions of dollars by going with a Jones/Hendo fight in April instead of a combined TUF and April title fight for Jones/Sonnen. While I think Sonnen/Forrest couldve worked on TUF, even you cant argue that for ratings and PPV interest Jones and Sonnen is the better choice. If finances and a billion dollar TV deal werent involved, I would be right there with you arguing that Hendo was wronged and this is a horrible move by the UFC. ****, if Jones was healthy, I'd make that argument. The fact is he's not. The timing for TUF works because of the injury and in order to save TUF (a great moneymaker for the UFC), Jones and Sonnen was the right choice.

You also arent explaining how it hurts the legitimacy. Its not like Sonnen was handed the belt. He still has to beat perhaps the greatest LHW in MMA history to get the belt. Its not like if Jones wins the legitimacy of the belt is an issue either. No one is ducking Hendo. No one is arguing that Hendo is the true champion.

Rumor was that the UFC was considering putting Evans against Silva for the MW belt a few months ago before they decided against it. If the UFC wouldve made that fight instead of giving Weidman a title shot...would that have made Silva's title less legit? **** no. Silva is still the MW champ and anyone who beats Silva should be seen as the legitimate MW champ no matter how they got the title shot.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #50
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

The TUF rationale is something that I don't agree with but I won't argue it, what's done is done. Business is business, cash is cash. Get paid.

Now as far as the legitimacy goes, you can't convince me that a guy coming off a loss and who has done absolutely zilch at 205 deserves a title shot. That is the legitimacy that I'm questioning. The wording is a bit off perhaps, but you get what I'm saying. The process is a complete sham. That action puts the legitimacy of getting a title shot into question. Under different circumstances, i.e. injuries, other opponents turning down fights, yes, Chael might be cool to call in.

Rashad Evans has done a bit more than Chael throughout his career in the cage. Especially holding the belt. That's a different situation, but if you look at the MW division, they could use another big name.

At 205, they don't lack contenders, they don't lack guys who actually deserve it, as I stated, Hendo or the winner of Rua/Gus.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Maybe Dana is getting the best of both worlds. Sonnen will sell TUF in ways that Henderson can't. Then maybe Sonnen comes up with an "injury" that keeps him out of the fight. Henderson then has to step in for Sonnen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #52

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Maybe Dana is getting the best of both worlds. Sonnen will sell TUF in ways that Henderson can't. Then maybe Sonnen comes up with an "injury" that keeps him out of the fight. Henderson then has to step in for Sonnen.
Only to have Jones turn it down because its not good for his career, you forgot that part.

What I dont get in all of this is Chael steps into a new weight class and gets an immediate title shot while Evans offered to fight Anderson Silva and was told he needed to win a couple fights at Middleweight before he would be given a shot, thats my major issue with it all. I get that its a business and making money is important but imo this is a slippery slope and I hope it never happens again, whats next, guys earn title shots but are considered less of a draw then someone else so they dont get it no matter how many fights they win? Money shouldnt dictate fights, its the UFC's job to market it to get people interested otherwise we might as well just hand pick fights and forget rankings altogether.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #53
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Rashad is a good draw for the UFC too. I guess Dana just loves himself some Chael.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #54
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Rashad is a good draw for the UFC too. I guess Dana just loves himself some Chael.
I would think Silva turned it down more than Dana, based on previous actions by him and his team
Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #55
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Only to have Jones turn it down because its not good for his career, you forgot that part.

What I dont get in all of this is Chael steps into a new weight class and gets an immediate title shot while Evans offered to fight Anderson Silva and was told he needed to win a couple fights at Middleweight before he would be given a shot, thats my major issue with it all. I get that its a business and making money is important but imo this is a slippery slope and I hope it never happens again, whats next, guys earn title shots but are considered less of a draw then someone else so they dont get it no matter how many fights they win? Money shouldnt dictate fights, its the UFC's job to market it to get people interested otherwise we might as well just hand pick fights and forget rankings altogether.
Yeah I won't even get into the Rashad thing, I know Aaron alluded to it but I don't think anyone really knows the facts of that situation.

One part of me is sort of hoping this event doesn't do the numbers they think it will so Dana will never do this again. When they build this fight up, I will laugh my *** off when they get into what Chael's done recently: which is losing to Anderson for the second straight time and not having fought at 205 for several years. I'm sure that'll look real good in the casuals' eyes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #56
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

^^ Would you feel the same if Edgar gets the next title shot at FW? Because isn't that essentially the same thing?

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »