Home

UFC 159 - Jones v. Sonnen - April 27

This is a discussion on UFC 159 - Jones v. Sonnen - April 27 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #113

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: UFC 159 - Jones v. Sonnen - April 27

Halfway there.

@ufc: Dana says Anderson Silva called him tonight + said he wants a fight - DW won't say whether it's GSP or Jones but it's one of those.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #114
Banned

Jdoug312's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Halfway there.

@ufc: Dana says Anderson Silva called him tonight + said he wants a fight - DW won't say whether it's GSP or Jones but it's one of those.
If it's not GSP it's a bad look for Anderson.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #115
MVP

OVR: 11

So the card was so so. To be honest as far as the women's fights go I can't complain about them. Sure the fight lasted the first round but I think the women are hungry and feel like they have something to prove which is why the last three women's fights on the UFC while two were pretty short, were more entertaining than some of the men's fight.

I enjoyed the Big Country fight just because I think he brings a little dash of WWE fun to the UFC. He's not over the top, but just enough to make him someone I like to watch because there is something funny about a chubby Hillbilly Jim type with a beer belly knocking out fit world class athletes.

The Jones fight, well I think most of us knew how that was going to go. At the same time it's not Jone's fault he's pretty much coasting through the division. I will say this though I do like having Chael around. Even if he's not going to fight he's pretty smart and knowledgable about MMA and I don't mind seeing him be like an analyst or doing commentary and he's actually a pretty nice guy. Wether you like him or not, he kinda knows how to work the mic and make a promotion for a fight more interesting than some others. If Sonen had been like 6-2, and about 255 all this time I think he would have been a good WWE personality. I think all Chael could do was try to pressure Jones like he did Silva. I think that little Teddy Bruschi looking kid in the TUF finale took a page out of Chael's book when he fought Uriah Hall but HE actually won his fight.

I don't think Bisping could beat Silva just because I believe most of the division is scare of him. The reason why Sonen is the closest ever to dethrone Silva was simply because Chael isn't afraid of getting knocked out or loosing.

Silva VS GSP I think would be a boring fight actually.

Silva VS Jones would be really entertaining.

I do think the UFC is becoming a victim of it's own success though and I mean that through it's champions, at least at 170, 185, and 205. I think the gap between those champions and the rest of those divisions is pretty huge. I think Aldo COULD be beat. I wouldnt mind seeing an ALDO/EDGAR II. I think SMOOTH Henderson could also be beat as well, and the same goes for the 145 pound champion Cruz. Same thing for the heavy weights. I think Big Foot stands a decent chance of beating Cain in the next PPV... and as dominant as Rousey (and hot) as she is, I think because we havent seen enough of the women yet, I thinks he could loose her belt to the right woman.

I will say this though, I think over the past year the stoppages overall have been too soon. Could you imagine if Chuck Lidell or Tito Ortiz were refs? I think some of these stoppages wouldnt be so quick. I think some of the refs who have never been in a ring themselves find it hard when to actually think another guy is "done".

And I ever wonder if Joe Rogan is going to get in trouble when he bag's on the UFC when it comes to stoppages and stuff. I mean I've heard more than a few times where he would bag on the ref (which is FINE), but he goes even further by kinda bagging on the UFC as in "when are you guys gonna do something about the bad officiating??" Same with the "lets fix the glove situation UFC! Come on dudes!"... I mean, he WORKS for the same company he bags on at times. I just round that interesting.

In other news, Rousey looks pretty good in a dress.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #116
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

The UFC has nothing to do with the ref or judges, they are set by the states. Rogan is not bashing the UFC when he talks about them.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #117
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar

I do think the UFC is becoming a victim of it's own success though and I mean that through it's champions, at least at 170, 185, and 205. I think the gap between those champions and the rest of those divisions is pretty huge. I think Aldo COULD be beat. I wouldnt mind seeing an ALDO/EDGAR II. I think SMOOTH Henderson could also be beat as well, and the same goes for the 145 pound champion Cruz. Same thing for the heavy weights. I think Big Foot stands a decent chance of beating Cain in the next PPV... and as dominant as Rousey (and hot) as she is, I think because we havent seen enough of the women yet, I thinks he could loose her belt to the right woman.

I will say this though, I think over the past year the stoppages overall have been too soon. Could you imagine if Chuck Lidell or Tito Ortiz were refs? I think some of these stoppages wouldnt be so quick. I think some of the refs who have never been in a ring themselves find it hard when to actually think another guy is "done".

And I ever wonder if Joe Rogan is going to get in trouble when he bag's on the UFC when it comes to stoppages and stuff. I mean I've heard more than a few times where he would bag on the ref (which is FINE), but he goes even further by kinda bagging on the UFC as in "when are you guys gonna do something about the bad officiating??" Same with the "lets fix the glove situation UFC! Come on dudes!"... I mean, he WORKS for the same company he bags on at times. I just round that interesting.

In other news, Rousey looks pretty good in a dress.
"Victim of its own success?" Dominant champions sell PPVs. Parity doesnt. There is a reason Aldo sells 200-300k when he is on PPV. There is a reason that Henderson is a Fox fighter and not on PPVs. Because fans like dominant champions. The UFC has the 3rd, 4th and 5th highest PPV selling fighters in combat sports (Only behing Pacman and Floyd). All three of them are dominant champions.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #118
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
"Victim of its own success?" Dominant champions sell PPVs. Parity doesnt. There is a reason Aldo sells 200-300k when he is on PPV. There is a reason that Henderson is a Fox fighter and not on PPVs. Because fans like dominant champions. The UFC has the 3rd, 4th and 5th highest PPV selling fighters in combat sports (Only behing Pacman and Floyd). All three of them are dominant champions.
Im not referring to they kind of money the UFC is raking in. I'm talking about the most exciting and interesting fights seem to be the championships outside of the 170, 185 and 205 classes. Yes, everytime one of those three champs have a PPV fight, a lot of us still pay the money to see it because we are hoping for a good main event, heck maybe even an upset. Maybe some of it is that there isn't that much of a storyline in those three divisions right now. Aldo and Edgar had a really exciting fight, and it looks like because of that, people would like to see the two of them go at it again. The last heavyweight championship fight was a rematch between two equally skilled fighters with different styles, there was a story there as well. It's not GSP, Jones's or Silvas fault. The only two interesting fights Silva has had in a while was when he almost lost to Sonen and when he knocked Belfort out in cool fashion. GSP has had several snooze fest fights until he fought Condit and we saw a more active/violent/entertaining GSP. Jone's outside of the crazy stuff he does with his moves in the ring hasnt had a really interesting fight outside of beating Shogun for the title and him almost getting caught by Belfort. I'm just saying it seems like the gap between champs and contenders seems to be a little closer in the weight classes that arent 170, 185, and 205.

Again I'm not talking about the draw those guys have in PPV numbers. Im talking about after everyone ponies up their cash to watch those fighters fight, more times than not we are talking about those same fights at work the next day and saying "yeah, it was OK". Again, not those dudes fault.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #119
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Pat Healy tested positive for marijuana following his fight against Jim Miller. Sucks for him, that was a nice win to kick off his debut. I assume it will be a no contest now and he'll be on the shelf for a while.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 05-15-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #120
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

The green is taking people out lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya