Home

UFC 164 - Henderson v. Pettis 2 - August 31

This is a discussion on UFC 164 - Henderson v. Pettis 2 - August 31 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: UFC 164, August 31 in Milwuakee

Pettis is flying out to Vegas to meet with Dana tomorrow. Pettis honestly sounds like he doesn't want to take anything away from Grant. So I respect Pettis for that, and I really don't blame him for asking to fight Bendo.

Quote:
"TJ Grant earned his shot I'm not going to say I should be fighting and T.J. Grant didn't earn his shot. T.J. Grant earned his shot an he's there for a reason, I don't want the fans to think I'm trying to take his position or anything like that, but at the same time, you can't knock me for trying. I want a title shot so bad."
Pettis deserves it more than Grant, bottom line.

Grant aint gonna draw ****. I mean nothing against him, but nobody cares about him.

I pray that Pettis heals fast and Dana grants him, no pun intended, a shot at Bendo.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Pettis should have waited to start with instead of getting too damn antsy for a title fight and we wouldn't be in this situation. Pettis should have to wait, it's bull**** if he takes Grant out of this fight who earned the title shot as well. He can wait until the winner of KZ/Aldo or Grant/Henderson imo.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Pettis is flying out to Vegas to meet with Dana tomorrow. Pettis honestly sounds like he doesn't want to take anything away from Grant. So I respect Pettis for that, and I really don't blame him for asking to fight Bendo.

Pettis deserves it more than Grant, bottom line.

Grant aint gonna draw ****. I mean nothing against him, but nobody cares about him.

I pray that Pettis heals fast and Dana grants him, no pun intended, a shot at Bendo.
He made his choice when he decided to drop to 145 to fight Aldo. He gets no sympathy from me. He WILL get his shot down the line, of course.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #20
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

If I'm Dana, I'm paying Grant to step aside and giving Pettis the shot. One, Pettis is the #2 ranked LW. Two, the fight is in Milwaukee. Three, as Ex said this fight is on PPV and Grant is not a draw. This could end up being one of the lowest drawing ppvs in recent history without Pettis.

Its not like Grant will lose his shot. He just will have to wait a few months to get it. As long as he's set straight financially he should be fine.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Pettis might be a better draw, but he isn't a huge draw though. It might help sell some seats in Milwaukee, but the card will probably sell out no matter what. Benson isn't a draw either, his 2 fights with Frankie Edgar didn't sell much at all, and he has been on Fox since.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Pettis might be a better draw, but he isn't a huge draw though. It might help sell some seats in Milwaukee, but the card will probably sell out no matter what. Benson isn't a draw either, his 2 fights with Frankie Edgar didn't sell much at all, and he has been on Fox since.
I think you underestimate it a little. Most people didnt watch the first fight in the WEC but EVERYBODY has seen the Showtime kick. Hendo/Grant will be lucky to do 200k (Edgar/Hendo 2 only did 190k). Hendo/Pettis could do over 300k and maybe 400k with the right hype and promotion.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Pettis should have waited to start with instead of getting too damn antsy for a title fight and we wouldn't be in this situation. Pettis should have to wait, it's bull**** if he takes Grant out of this fight who earned the title shot as well. He can wait until the winner of KZ/Aldo or Grant/Henderson imo.
Now I totally agree with you.. and I have said this over the months...

I honestly wouldn't think it would be bull**** if Pettis cut Grant.. Simply because of the exact circumstances we have in play.. the Pettis/Bendo II, Grant sort of just being the challenger by default. Meaning nobody was clamoring for Grant to be in this position, even though right now he is the most deserving outside of Pettis. And then of course you can always go back to the fact that Pettis got sort of screwed in the past...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude
He made his choice when he decided to drop to 145 to fight Aldo. He gets no sympathy from me. He WILL get his shot down the line, of course.
Yeah I do agree with you guys, I criticized him for asking for Aldo, but at the same time I really don't care to see Grant at all. I think a lot of other guys will agree with this sentiment.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #24
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Tj grant is safe. UFC doctor checked out pettis' knee and determined he needs to sit for six weeks. No surgery required

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »