Home

UFC 171 - Hendricks v. Lawler - March 15 - Dallas

This is a discussion on UFC 171 - Hendricks v. Lawler - March 15 - Dallas within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #49

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: UFC 171 - Hendricks v. Lawler - March 15 - Dallas

Hendricks won 48-47 but that takedown at the end and just holding him to secure the win to me was garbage. He did nothing with it other then hold him there waiting for the fight to end, complete point fighting as he probably could have finished Lawler on the feet had he kept it there with the way Lawler was moving around and looking completely sluggish.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #50
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Hendricks won 48-47 but that takedown at the end and just holding him to secure the win to me was garbage. He did nothing with it other then hold him there waiting for the fight to end, complete point fighting as he probably could have finished Lawler on the feet had he kept it there with the way Lawler was moving around and looking completely sluggish.
Cant blame him. Lawler was dropping bombs and he didnt want to take the risk.

On another note, am I the only one who is shocked that an opposing fighter hasnt complained about Hendricks' beard? That is a really thick beard and you cant tell me that it doesnt offer some extra protection.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 15
Location: Begins with a C, ends with an O and in the middle is HICAG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef

Big Rig cop out in the end =
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #52
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm happy for Hendricks. GSP leaving the UFC might be the best thing for the fighters (not for Dana's checkbook though). The WW division is so open right now. Hendricks now as champ, you got Rory/Lombard/Woodley right there for a title shot, I'm sure Shields/Condit/Lawler will be right back & awesome prospects in Gastelum and Thatch.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #53
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
I'm happy for Hendricks. GSP leaving the UFC might be the best thing for the fighters (not for Dana's checkbook though). The WW division is so open right now. Hendricks now as champ, you got Rory/Lombard/Woodley right there for a title shot, I'm sure Shields/Condit/Lawler will be right back & awesome prospects in Gastelum and Thatch.
I forgot about Thatch. Whoa.

The good news for the UFC is GSP is always out there and could be back in '15. That gives Hendricks some more time to grow as a star. This win plus the fact that most people think he beat GSP has him on his way to being a box office draw.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #54
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Great fight and then terrible point fighting to end it, terrible.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #55
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I forgot about Thatch. Whoa.

The good news for the UFC is GSP is always out there and could be back in '15. That gives Hendricks some more time to grow as a star. This win plus the fact that most people think he beat GSP has him on his way to being a box office draw.
I think you could say neither Thatch (with his vicious KO of Thiago) & Gastelum with his win today over a fringe top 10 guy in Story are prospects anymore because they are right there as well. This division is awesome now.
Plus if GSP ever comes back (if he gets acting roles like he did in Captain America who knows if he does...) you got an instant PPV draw again.

Edit: I forgot guys like Ryan LaFlare & Stephen Thompson as well. Thompson especially. He's looked much better in his last couple fights.

Last edited by redsrule; 03-16-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 AM   #56
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Surprised that Lawler didn't finish him off when he had him hurt. Not sure if it was Hendricks toughness or Lawler's reluctance to empty the tank.

Loved Hendricks reaction though when the decision was given. He had to wait a while to get that strap.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »