Home

Does Mighty Mouse take #1 in p4p rankings tomorrow?

This is a discussion on Does Mighty Mouse take #1 in p4p rankings tomorrow? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Does Mighty Mouse take #1 in p4p rankings tomorrow?

I don't think he's a jerk, I think he's a heck of a guy. It might be kind of jerky that no one can watch him train, but that's smart IMO. He seems cool and the gang on his twitch.

That said he frequently sounds condescending as heck immediately after the fight the way he tells his opponents good job after he beats them. I can't hold that against him because most of his opponents question his skills and trash talk him before the fight
Old 04-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
I realize that, but don't think it's a fair. Ufc doesn't market him enough. I really enjoy watching his fights. To be honest he's a dominant champ and makes peanuts compared to others on roster
I dont know about that. They have placed him in the headline spot on Fox cards 3 times. He has been the co-main on Jon Jones cards twice. He's headlined 4 PPVs. They have done an hour documentary on Fs1 about his life. They have done a half hour show on Fs1 where he commented on his fights.

He's had a good amount of promotion. He has had one PPV that he headlined that did over 200k (and that was helped by having McGregor on the main card). His other 3 fights have done 115k.

The UFC needs 200k-300k to break even on a PPV so that likely means the UFC lost money on all 4 of his cards.

DJ is making almost 200k. Thats more than Cruz. More than Dillashaw. More than Barao when he was champ. I think thats more than fair.

What sucks is DJ is a great fighter but casual fans dont seem to be interested in small guys enough to pay to watch him fight. Same thing in boxing. its why you dont see many fighters headlining PPVs in boxing at 120-130.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #11
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

He made almost 200k because he received a win bonus, where frequently dudes like Conor don't get a win bonus unless it's one of those locker room bonuses that you hear about.

200k is much less than others makes, and being that he trains alone paying his coaching staff must be expensive. I'm guessing Matt Hume doesn't take much from DJ considering he's doing pretty well for himself with his awesome job at one FC and his gym
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
He made almost 200k because he received a win bonus, where frequently dudes like Conor don't get a win bonus unless it's one of those locker room bonuses that you hear about.

200k is much less than others makes, and being that he trains alone paying his coaching staff must be expensive. I'm guessing Matt Hume doesn't take much from DJ considering he's doing pretty well for himself with his awesome job at one FC and his gym
I dont get your argument. You are saying he deserves more but his PPV numbers dont back that up. Lawler makes more than him....but his PPVs do better than MMs. Same with Weidman. Same with Cormier. Same with Aldo. I wont even talk about Conor who is the biggest UFC PPV star ever.

MM makes more than everyone in his division and more than everyone in BW except for Faber (who is a bigger star and his PPV numbers are bigger than MM).

You get what you deserve. You get what your PPV sales say you should get. The UFC isnt into losing money and paying MM much more would be a disaster financially.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #13
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

That's where we disagree. Conor gets huge ppv numbers because ufc promotes him like crazy, they don't promote DJ.

I believe champions should get paid similar amounts, maybe with bonuses on ppv sales.

I'm also a huge advocate for a fighters Union
Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
That's where we disagree. Conor gets huge ppv numbers because ufc promotes him like crazy, they don't promote DJ.

I believe champions should get paid similar amounts, maybe with bonuses on ppv sales.

I just gave you multiple examples of where they promoted DJ. I dont know what else you are looking for. You think they should do wold tours for DJ when he fights. A ton of people dont watch him on free TV.

UFC fighters already get bonuses on PPV sales. Every champion gets a PPV bonus (or points). Most PPV non-champion headliners get PPV points. DJ likely gets PPV points....but his PPVs dont sell. You need to sell at least 300k to start getting points. He averages 150k.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:

The UFC does the same for Conor as they do for MM. Conor is so popular because of his 10 second KO of Aldo, who was the champion for what 9 years? And for his stunts/comments during his press conferences. And I doubt we see champions getting paid similar amounts. All fighting are like this, I think, can't comment on Boxing as I don't follow it. But you get paid off gate revenue, PPV buys and merchandise you sell. I know that's how the WWE does it. And I would UFC something similar.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Conor was crazy famous before his ko of Aldo. Conor was promoted like crazy for months before the Aldo fight was called off and he fought Mendes. Remember the world tour where Conor was having a blast stealing Aldo's belt and ripping pictures in Irish bar in Brazil. He took over press conferences and didn't let people talk.

I understand you provided examples, but nearly everyone thinks differently and takes different things away from what they see.

I'm huge DJ fan, and I hate Conor's antics, so my opinion is most likely scewed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »