Home

Fights you think could go differently in a rematch?

This is a discussion on Fights you think could go differently in a rematch? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Fights you think could go differently in a rematch?

List some fights where you feel a rematch could go differently - even if it's contrary to popular opinion - and explain why. I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this.

Your answer could include fights where a fighter could've won, but lost due to:

A) poor/inadequate preparation
B) fluke/luck/chance
C) horrible strategy, or in-fight decision-making

List for each of the above parameters.

My answer would be

A) Cain/Werdum. Cain has the skillset to work Werdum in the clinch and keep it off the ground. His cardio is his biggest asset, yet due to poor preparation, lack of cardio led to his demise. With proper preparation, he can win that fight.

B) 1. Rockhold/Bisping second fight. Rockhold showed the true separation in their skill levels in the first fight. Bisping showed his lack of ability to hang with top fighters in subsequent losses to Gastelum and GSP, along with barely beating Hendo. Yet Bisping won.
2. Mendes/Edgar. This wasn't a massive fluke, but I do feel that if this was run 10 times, Mendes wins at least 5 of them. Edgar has good boxing and wrestling, but Mendes has more powerful boxing and better wrestling. Mendes' chin may be suspect, but he went 5 hard rounds with Aldo. Edgar is known for lacking punching power. Yet Edgar lightly grazes the tip of Mendes' nose, and KOs him. Absurdity.

C) Johnson/Cormier 2. Again, not a massive fluke, but AJ has the attributes to make it very interesting. His TDD is very elite; he made Phil Davis look like a little kid trying to hug his thighs. His power is unquestionably dangerous. He also dropped Cormier twice in their first fight. Entering the rematch, he could have used his prior experience fighting Cormier to stop some TDs, and land some punches. All it takes is one clean connection. Instead, AJ gave DC the wrestling match he wanted, leading to a submission loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Pro

TheJamesKraus's Arena

Re: Fights you think could go differently in a rematch?

Joanna Champion-Namajunas: I think the rematch will be a lot different and JJ will fight more methodical. The first fight wasn’t a complete whitewash. I think JJ has the speed adv and speed kills.

GSP-Hendricks: With both their trajectory’s in recent years, I think it’s pretty obvious that GSP would most likely wipe the floor with Johny in a rematch.

Dillashaw-Cruz: The first fight was very close and the only reason I think Cruz got the descision is because people fell in love with that storyline. I think TJ is in much better shape, and has better technique to beat Cruz in a rematch.

Weidman-Rockhold: Given Rockholds now knock weaknesses and how Weidman boxed up Anderson, Machida and Belfort - also the fact that the first fight Rockhold was fading abit before that famous spinning kick from Weidman, I think The Chris could possibly beat him in a rematch and it may happen by the end of the year.

Gustafsson-Jones: I think Gus has all the tools to trouble JBJ just like he did the first fight. That would be a great rematch, it’s a shame we may never get to see it.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: Fights you think could go differently in a rematch?

GSP vs Serra 2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »