Home

UFC 225: Whittaker VS Romero II

This is a discussion on UFC 225: Whittaker VS Romero II within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #41
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 225: Whittaker VS Romero II

In illinois you aren't allowed to weigh 10 pounds over your official weigh-in weight. (Or so I read)

I can't imagine this gets enforced.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #42
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB5XSBW
I disagree. This would be a great style matchup for Colby. If you look at Woodley's 3 losses, what he struggles against most is forward pressure and high level wrestlers.

Rory and Nate Marquardt both had success with forward pressure. Woodley likes to keep his back to the cage and wait for a counter strike opportunity. His problem is that he sometimes waits too long, and against guys who put pressure on him and aren't afraid of his takedowns, he loses too many points in the process. Colby doesn't have the striking that the aforementioned two do, but he does like to attack with forward pressure and he won't be intimidated of Woodley's takedowns like Wonderboy was.

Also, Jake Shields didn't take Woodley down a single time in 18 attempts, but he grinded him along the cage for 3 rounds and won a decision. This is something that Colby can duplicate.

With how tentative Woodley has been in his title fights, I don't see him doing much. Colby would easily be the more active fighter, and he can implement a mix of the above strategies (skewed more towards what Jake Shields did.)
I'm not saying Colby CAN'T win and if he does want to that would be the way to go. Clinch Woodley and wear him down. But I personally just don't feel it will be able to work against a more competent Woodley. And then if he's pressuring forward it's not Woodleys td's he has to worry about. It's those freaking bombs he has for hands. One of those lands and Colby's suddenly in another dimesnsion.

Last edited by WarMMA; 06-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #43
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

About Woodley's losses to high level wrestlers, is there a chance you are thinking of someone else?

Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #44
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
UFC has no one to blame but themselves. He missed weight last time and they still have him a title shot. They didn't put weight restrictions on him and he missed again. He is old and has been cutting a lot of weight for 20 years. His body shut down last time, who knows if he will ever be able to make weight without killing himself.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Amen.

the whole weightcutting/classes stuff is a effing joke.
Middleweight is not 185lb. It actually starts at 171lb, but we have fighters walking around at 200lb and fighting at lightweight. This ish needs to stop.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #45
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

"Yoel Romero just walked by us, assisted by two members of his team on each side. He was visibly and audibly in pain. Scary stuff."

"Romero just walked by us, being held up by two people, wincing in pain as they walked into the elevator. Very hard to see. He seemed to be in a lot of pain."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #46
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
About Woodley's losses to high level wrestlers, is there a chance you are thinking of someone else?

Yh the only guy that has an argument is sheilds and he definitely isn't a high lvl wrestler, but a high lvl grappler nonetheless. I get where he was coming from.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #47
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
"Yoel Romero just walked by us, assisted by two members of his team on each side. He was visibly and audibly in pain. Scary stuff."

"Romero just walked by us, being held up by two people, wincing in pain as they walked into the elevator. Very hard to see. He seemed to be in a lot of pain."
Dang. Yh this emergency weight cutting thing is bs. The body just isn't made to cut weight unnaturally like that.

Last edited by WarMMA; 06-08-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #48
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Dang. Yh this emergency weight cutting thing is bs. The body just isn't made to cut weight unaturally like that.
there's nothing left to cut...
I mean he was 0.2lb over. He could've shaved his eyebrows and balls and been on weight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »