Home

Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #17
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: DAZN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Never heard of that and in fact it would likely violate their worldwide deal with Bellator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAZN
Looks like DAZN has a deal with the UFC in Austria, Germany, Japan, and Italy. but not in the USA and Canada.
Quote:
The UFC sucks for international viewers but it will be perfect the states come January. Everything is moving to the ESPN app and network so fights will be simple to fine.
Well, you'll still have to pay for PPV through the ESPN+ app. which is fair enough, but like i said I think people just want an easy monthly cost. Netflix instead of a rent-a-movie-online kinda thing.

Also as far as i know ESPN+ will not be available outside of America.

Quote:
Due to regional restrictions, sports fans won’t be able to watch ESPN Plus unless they currently live in the USA.
https://thevpn.guru/unblock-espn-plus-outside-usa-vpn/

I mean, I guess we could do a VPNblock, but then we're back to the making-things-more-accessible discussion.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #18
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAZN
Looks like DAZN has a deal with the UFC in Austria, Germany, Japan, and Italy. but not in the USA and Canada.

Well, you'll still have to pay for PPV through the ESPN+ app. which is fair enough, but like i said I think people just want an easy monthly cost. Netflix instead of a rent-a-movie-online kinda thing.

Also as far as i know ESPN+ will not be available outside of America.

https://thevpn.guru/unblock-espn-plus-outside-usa-vpn/

I mean, I guess we could do a VPNblock, but then we're back to the making-things-more-accessible discussion.
https://www.fightsports.tv/dazn-ceo-...o-take-on-ufc/

The above is a strange thing to say about a league that you partner with in certain countries. Other than that wiki page, I havent heard of them being partners. In fact, Fight Network owns the PPV rights and Fox Sports Italy owns the TV rights in Italy.

A combat sports Netflix is pretty much a pipe dream because PPV is too much of a moneymaker for them. I remember reading back in the day that the UFC makes money off of a PPV as long as it makes 150k ppv buys. So it doesnt benefit them to sacrifice their PPV fights so that people can watch for a lower amount on one app.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #19
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
https://www.fightsports.tv/dazn-ceo-...o-take-on-ufc/

The above is a strange thing to say about a league that you partner with in certain countries. Other than that wiki page, I havent heard of them being partners. In fact, Fight Network owns the PPV rights and Fox Sports Italy owns the TV rights in Italy.
I was a bit surprised too, but a quick google search shows a few german sites.
https://media.dazn.com/de/press-rele...8/09/dazn-ufc/

after google translate:
Quote:
- Conor McGregor returns to the UFC® and faces his archenemy Khabib Nurmagomedov live in Las Vegas on the night of 06-07-2018
- DAZN shows the MMA fight of the year live in Germany & Austria
I mean it's not totally insane. DAZN launched in Germany in 2016. All the different regional contracts are often confusing, and maybe the media is just focusing on the contracts in America. Maybe the DAZN/UFC contracts in those European countries are close to finished. I mean, all that talk about ESPN+ and it doesn't even matter for the fans in South-America, Europe, etc. only for the US. For everyone else it seems to be business as normal. We'll need fight pass and our local provider.
Quote:
A combat sports Netflix is pretty much a pipe dream because PPV is too much of a moneymaker for them.
So was Spotify and Netflix in 2008
Quote:
I remember reading back in the day that the UFC makes money off of a PPV as long as it makes 150k ppv buys. So it doesnt benefit them to sacrifice their PPV fights so that people can watch for a lower amount on one app.
The question is if it continues to go down overall, and if the younger generation will still buy PPV. Most companies are moving away from PPV except for rare events.

I personally think it's only a matter of time (10 years) before PPV drops too low, and the model of a subscription service like Fight Pass seems more viable.

Last edited by MacGowan; 10-19-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I was a bit surprised too, but a quick google search shows a few german sites.
https://media.dazn.com/de/press-rele...8/09/dazn-ufc/

after google translate:

I mean it's not totally insane. DAZN launched in Germany in 2016. All the different regional contracts are often confusing, and maybe the media is just focusing on the contracts in America. Maybe the DAZN/UFC contracts in those European countries are close to finished. I mean, all that talk about ESPN+ and it doesn't even matter for the fans in South-America, Europe, etc. only for the US. For everyone else it seems to be business as normal. We'll need fight pass and our local provider.

The question is if it continues to go down overall, and if the younger generation will still buy PPV. Most companies are moving away from PPV except for rare events.

I personally think it's only a matter of time (10 years) before PPV drops too low, and the model of a subscription service like Fight Pass seems more viable.
If they can make more money by keeping subscribers for a full year, it is worth it, but if not the PPV will make more. If they have more than 1 must by PPV in a year, it is definitely better.

The whole thing comes down to if they want monthly smaller payments or a large lump sum from PPV that may or may not happen.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:

The media is talking about the other international deals. The UFC just signed its UK rights over to Eleven Sports and is still with Combate in Brazil. That info is out there.

I dont agree with the Spotify/Netflix comparison. Spotify was a brilliant idea that was only being slowed because of record label support. Netflix had to change its entire business model to become the monster it is now.

The UFC owns all the content and from a financial perspective their model its still successful. What you are asking is for the UFC to flip its entire business model simply so you can pay less for it and have less places to find the content? That makes sense for you but not the UFC.

As I said before, the UFC doesnt need to sell alot of PPVs to make a profit and the fact that people like you and I can find streams hasnt seemed to make much of a dent into its profits. ****, I've been able to find streams easily since UFC 90 and that hasnt slowed them down at all.

Again if you only need 150k buys to make a profit, thats not a hard hurdle to get over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #22
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

- So are you still saying DAZN has NO deal with the UFC? even though i just linked you to DAZN's own site saying that they showed the Khabib/Conor fight in Germany, and Wikipedia stating they do.

- Your statement that everything is moving to the ESPN app is false. just for the US.

- I disagree. I can't imagine them doing PPV's in 2028. It's only a matter of time before they abandon it.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #23
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
- So are you still saying DAZN has NO deal with the UFC? even though i just linked you to DAZN's own site saying that they showed the Khabib/Conor fight in Germany, and Wikipedia stating they do.

- Your statement that everything is moving to the ESPN app is false. just for the US.

- I disagree. I can't imagine them doing PPV's in 2028. It's only a matter of time before they abandon it.
Here is my original statement:

The UFC sucks for international viewers but it will be perfect the states come January. Everything is moving to the ESPN app and network so fights will be simple to fine.

I was clearly talking about the US in my original statement.

My last post didnt even address the DAZN link in my last post. You said "maybe the media is just focusing on the contracts in America" and I said they arent because they reported the Eleven and Combate deals in the UK and Brazil. The media likely hasnt reported on the DAZN deals because they are likely significantly smaller than the Eleven and Combate deals.

Regarding PPVs....you can believe that if you want to. The finances dont really back that up though. ****, one of the biggest signings DAZN has is Anthony Joshua. He is exclusive to them. He will likely fight Wilder for the HW championship next year in one of the biggest fights in boxing in decades.

Now if you think that DAZN is going to give away that fight for $9.99 and a free trial for new subscribers, you are high. Why? Because Joshua and Wilder can and always will be able to make more money from PPV than on a subscription rate.

Your theory doesnt event hold up to simple logic. In 2018, its much easier to find streams and watch HD sports for free than ever before. If I wanted to I could find a stream to any live sporting event within 10 minutes max. Yet, in the past 2 years, the UFC broke its MMA PPV record with Conor and Khabib and was 2nd all time in Combat Sports PPVs with Conor and Floyd.

Now you would think that with piracy being easier, you would notice a drop in PPV buys when it comes to major PPVs but you arent. That shows me 2 things: One, the UFC and Boxing are being hyper proactive and making it more difficult to pirate the Conor and similar level ppvs (They were all over Reddit and other sites taking down streams for the last two Conor fights). Two, people are still willing to pay $50 and up for big time events and likely will continue to.

Maybe you are just looking at things from a European perspective and given that its a smaller market maybe the UFC will be willing to try out a Netflix model in small European countries. That **** isnt happening in the UK or the US though.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

In most countries, UFC PPVs are already free on some sports cable channel. They are just on in the middle of the night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »