Home

Askren may finally sign with UFC

This is a discussion on Askren may finally sign with UFC within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Askren may finally sign with UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Maybe to score from time to time, but doubt he'd hang around on the ground long with Maia. If he does its a much more entertaining fight though.
That's the only way I would care to see it. I don't really care to watch Askren try and strike.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #10
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I wonder what's changed for this to finally be a possibility? Dana should've signed the dude years ago.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:47 AM   #11
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I wonder what's changed for this to finally be a possibility? Dana should've signed the dude years ago.
He did apologize to Dana while he was signed with One.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Yh but we all know how that story will play out. Unless Maia can get him down, sprawl and brawl tactics by Askren to a decision win.
Ahh I don’t know about that. Ben is the last guy who’s still at the top level of MMA, who is truly one dimensional. He may land a few punches while his opponent is worried about the takedown, but don’t be mistaken. He has no striking. He doesn’t even have good ground and pound. All he has is world class wrestling, and he’s adamant that it’s all he needs. Every fight is the same, he comes straight at his opponent and attempts to take them down over and over again until he gets them down. Then he holds them down.

Ben Askren has stated that he believes wrestling is a trump card in MMA, and that unless someone has elite wrestling, he can beat them. So I don’t think we’ll ever see Ben Sprawl and Brawl. He’s either gonna wrestle, or die trying.

This is why I say Demian Maia, Woodley and Thompson are his worst matchups, and all for different reasons. Ben will insist on the takedown no matter what... and against Maia, I think he gets submitted. Against Thompson, I think he struggles to cut off the cage and get a hold of Thompson, and gets lit up. And against Woodley, he may not get the TD at all.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
Pro

We need to see Ben in the UFC though. Normally you’d never expect a guy with ZERO standup and ZERO ground and pound, who openly brags that all he needs is American wrestling, to be at the top levels of modern MMA. But then you see him make it work on Douglas Lima and Andrey Koreshkov. Then you see him rolling with larger guys like Tim Kennedy and Alan Belcher and doing great.

Then you hear elite fighters at Roufusport speak wonders about this guy’s wrestling. He’s undefeated. And he brings a fresh approach to the wrestling style, the way he brags that he’ll hold you on the ground and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. The way he trolls opponents mid fight because he’s dominating them, but doesn’t know how to throw ground a pound.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
Ahh I don’t know about that. Ben is the last guy who’s still at the top level of MMA, who is truly one dimensional. He may land a few punches while his opponent is worried about the takedown, but don’t be mistaken. He has no striking. He doesn’t even have good ground and pound. All he has is world class wrestling, and he’s adamant that it’s all he needs. Every fight is the same, he comes straight at his opponent and attempts to take them down over and over again until he gets them down. Then he holds them down.

Ben Askren has stated that he believes wrestling is a trump card in MMA, and that unless someone has elite wrestling, he can beat them. So I don’t think we’ll ever see Ben Sprawl and Brawl. He’s either gonna wrestle, or die trying.

This is why I say Demian Maia, Woodley and Thompson are his worst matchups, and all for different reasons. Ben will insist on the takedown no matter what... and against Maia, I think he gets submitted. Against Thompson, I think he struggles to cut off the cage and get a hold of Thompson, and gets lit up. And against Woodley, he may not get the TD at all.
Well I was speaking in terms of him being smart and not taking chances, but if he does insist on wrestling in a fight with Maia, that would be much more entertaining. I think Maia finds a way to his back and he gets submitted also though.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #15
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

The man has 8 first round finishes. he does a lot more than just wrestle. poor Aoki's head...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

According to Ariel, the UFC is trading DJ's contract for Askren's

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »