Home

MacGowan's Annual MMA awards

This is a discussion on MacGowan's Annual MMA awards within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

OVR: 0
MacGowan's Annual MMA awards

As the year is drawing to a close it's time to look back to the insane year that was 2018.

POSTERS OF THE YEAR

Lots of crap, generic poster from the UFC this year. Super disappointing.
Next year is looking a little better with UFC 234.

MALE FIGHTER OF THE YEAR

After a rocky end of 2017, Daniel Cormier bounced back by first beating #1 Light-Heavyweight Contender Volkan Oezdemir, then beating all-time great Heavyweight Stipe Miocic to become the second man in UFC history to hold two active belts in two weight classes. aaand topping it all off by defending it against Derrick Lewis (who had won 9 of his last 10). None of the fights saw 3rd round.

FEMALE FIGHTER OF THE YEAR

Man, I don't wanna give Nunes this award. why? Cuz this double champ **** has got to go. You're supposed to defend your belt, not go up to a non-existent division. But wait.... Nunes did defend her belt this year, finishing her opponent. And that non-existent division? It was built for the greatest female fighter of all time.... Whom Nunes utterly destroyed in 51 seconds. Nunes has now retired Miesha Tate, and Ronda Rousey, and KO'd the Female GOAT. Long live the new Queen.

BREAKOUT FIGHTER OF THE YEAR

Israel Adesanya was one of those fighters lucky enough to be pushed hard by the UFC. Brash on the mic, and with exciting stand up skills. Of course, you still have to perform when the cage door closes. And perform he has. a total of 4 fights in 2018, with his next already booked for early 2019. The Last Stylebender has fought all legit tough contenders who were ready to derail the hype. But the train rolls on.

FIGHT OF THE YEAR

Jesus Christ... I was thinking about other fights this year like Poirier vs Gaethje, or Ferguson vs Pettis, but honestly, if I could show my friends only one fight (of any year) it would be this one. Korean Zombie vs Yair Rodriguez. It had it all, the flashy flair from Yair, the Rocky chin of Korean Zombie, the championship rounds, and of course the hollywood ending...

KNOCKOUT OF THE YEAR

It had to be this one. I know, I know, Brian Ortega's uppercut was a sight of beauty, but Yair pulled of a move no one has ever done, at the very last second of the fight of the year (a fight he was losing). It had to be the most insane elbow I have ever seen.

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR

Although Yair was actually behind on the scorecards it was such a close fight we could see it going either way. That was not the case with Paul Crag vs Magomed Ankalaev. Paul Craig was getting his *** handed to him for every second of 3 rounds. Then at the very last second of the fight he managed to pull off a miracle as he triangle chocked Magomed to a finish.

SUBMISSION OF THE YEAR

There's something about Zabit. The way he talks, the way he kicks, and the way he pulls of whatever the hell this is. It's written down as a "Modified Kneebar". whatever you say, wikipedia, whatever you say....

WALKOUT OF THE YEAR

In the age of Endeavour and Reebok it can be hard to stand out for a fighter, with generic walkouts and walkout music. Darren Till however, must be some sort of genius, cuz in his fight against Stephen Thompson he decided to have Liverpool crowd favorite "Sweet Caroline" in his hometown. the rest is history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqmrWpvWuAo&t

GYM OF THE YEAR

The race was close with American Kickboxing Academy and American Top Team. American Top Team has been on a winning streak and still sports dominant champion Tyron Woodley. however, AKA did pull off the win by currently housing the Pound for Pound #1 and #2 in DC and Khabib. It's the gym to beat.

REFEREE OF THE YEAR

We rarely hear when a referee does something good, only when it's a late stoppage, an early stoppage, or whatever the hell Yves Lavigne was doing to Joseph Benavidez. Big John McCarthy has been the gold standard for a long time, until his retirement early this year. Marc Goddard is one of the few who has remained almost squeaky clean this year. Check out Cyborg vs Nunes for what a great stoppage is supposed to look like.

ANALYST/COMMENTATOR OF THE YEAR

This was a close race between DC and Dan Hardy. Both bring their own style and genres to the commentator booth. Dan Hardy makes the complex easy to digest and brings unique insight which he shares better than the other analysts. I love Luke Thomas, but my god doesn't he go: "he pivots to the right, while pulling the arm under the left of the right of the left side of the..." you get my point... The Inside the Octagon with John Godden is a joy to watch before any fight and I hope to see Dan provide more live commentating in the future.

CEO/PROMOTER OF THE YEAR

Of course UFC, and Dana White are still the supreme leaders of the MMA world, with their big move to ESPN almost landing them the award. However will ESPN be a better home than FOX? Why are we still stuck in this PPV/TV channel/Fight pass limbo that makes watching cards a small nightmare? The PPV model has turned sour, and with ESPN, the saturation of the market is not going away any time soon.
Bellator is reaping the benefits of a horrible Reebok deal, and with a successful Heavyweight tournament is having a great year. But this year's award goes to ONE and CEO Chatri Sityodtong for making big moves with acquiring the GOAT Demitrious Johnson alongside big names like Eddie Alvarez, Sage Northcut Miesha Tate, and Yoshihiro Akiyama, while also setting up their own broadcast contracts and models that work a lot better. It looks like everyone is moving towards a sports-netflix model except the UFC.

WTF MOMENT OF THE YEAR
This was a close one. Khabib leaping out of the Octagon, and Floyd Mayweather going to Rizin to beat up a tiny Nasukawa is up there. But the one that takes the cake is the entire Jon Jones storyline of 2018, especially where USADA decides to cut down his suspension in exchange for him giving valuable information, which he then does not do? question-mark? then USADA decides that for this fighter they'll give a pass for having picograms (the word of the year) of Turinabol in his system. So now all fighters can have very small traces of Turinabol in their system? or get suspended, then they'll forever have an excuse to be microdosing?

On top of all that, Jones finishes Gus in a dominant fashion to win the LHW title. Jones is back! except he's not? or is he? the WTF moment of 2018.

Thank you for reading my awards show.
check out https://kellmartin.net/ if you wanna read more stupid ramblings.

Last edited by MacGowan; 01-01-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: MacGowan's Annual MMA awards

Female fighter of the year?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Nice write up man and yh I was gonna ask the same thing as Dave. Its gotta be Nunes now though lol.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
MVP

The KZ poster was mad nice. I have it on my phone somewhere .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Female fighter of the year?
Ah, damn, you guys making me look all sexist and ****
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I can't disagree with any of the KOoty awards I've seen, but damn if Cyborg face planting wasn't a moment that won't be forgotten.

Sent from my SM-T837P using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 01-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
Ah, damn, you guys making me look all sexist and ****
I wasn't trying to call you out, just noticed your fighter of the year was for "Male" category.

Neil Diamond is alright, but I di not understand the fascination with "sweet caroline" walkout song. (Not referring to you, I just wonder why Brits like its o much)

Here's Dave's nominees for female fighter of the year. Unfortunately Cyborg didn't make the cut, but only because the Holm fight happened in 2017.

This list was a tiny bit difficult because of lack of activity, but I'm confident in my picks.

- Amanda Nunes
- Valentina Shevchenko
- Jessica Andrade
- Tatiana Suarez
- Nina Ansaroff
Old 01-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
I wasn't trying to call you out, just noticed your fighter of the year was for "Male" category.
Don't worry, just pulling yer leg
Quote:
Neil Diamond is alright, but I di not understand the fascination with "sweet caroline" walkout song. (Not referring to you, I just wonder why Brits like its o much)
I don't necessarily think they love it so much. It's just in the public consciousness. Like playing Take Me Home by John Denver in Sweden. I'm sure that would garner the same result.

It's a feel good song everyone in a sold out arena knew. I loved it.
Quote:
This list was a tiny bit difficult because of lack of activity, but I'm confident in my picks.

- Amanda Nunes
- Valentina Shevchenko
- Jessica Andrade
- Tatiana Suarez
- Nina Ansaroff
Yeah, I agree. the award post has been edited now.
Next year, maybe I'll add CHIN of the year or something fun

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »